+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By baph

Thread: Ranger Pets

Soulwalker

Default Ranger Pets

The Ranger has 3 pet calls: Razorbeast, Dire Wolf and Blood Raptor... can the ranger call and use them all together or when you call 1 the other its auto dismissed

You can only have one pet activate at a time.

Soulwalker

Since this post is so well named. I have a question about ranger pets. Will the Razor Beast that you get with 0 points into ranger continue to upgrade all the way to 50 or will it hit a level cap at which point the ranger will have to spend 24 points to get Greater Razor Beast? Or does the Greater Razor Beast just get better skills, I would assume for AoE tanking.

Quote Originally Posted by Zatarra View Post
    Since this post is so well named. I have a question about ranger pets. Will the Razor Beast that you get with 0 points into ranger continue to upgrade all the way to 50 or will it hit a level cap at which point the ranger will have to spend 24 points to get Greater Razor Beast? Or does the Greater Razor Beast just get better skills, I would assume for AoE tanking.
    I'm not 100% sure, but I think my Boar was capped to level 30 (me being level 42). So I think you'll need to spend 24 points in Ranger if you want a decent tank @ level 50.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Cinerus View Post
    I'm not 100% sure, but I think my Boar was capped to level 30 (me being level 42). So I think you'll need to spend 24 points in Ranger if you want a decent tank @ level 50.
    Correct, boar caps out @ lvl 30

Default well

Rangerpets are very good at the lower lvls. So as a third soul they are a good choice... but only until lvl 20.
    The boar can tank very well. In the last Beta we went into irontomb with 2 x Rangers/Bards, 1x Ranger/Marksman, 1 x Beastmaster, and an unlucky Tank... all around lvl 15-17

The problem was not that our pets couldnt tank, our problem was that our tank got the agro so often,... hrhr. He died a few times...

After all it was a fun run to complete the instance without a "real" healer and without a "real" tank tanking all the stuff.

But back to topic.

My main was/will be a Markman/Riftstalker/Nightblade combo with no pet but good for the group content. AND my secound soul spec will be a Ranger/Marksman,Rifstalker combo because of the tankability of the rangerpet. With this pet its very easy to rush thru the quests alone.
    If you like to kill heroic mobs you should spec Ranger/Bard/--- and with 2 healingspells you could keep your pet alive while you slowly kill the heroic mob.

I have seen many Pets even steal the agro from tanks at the rifts. The razorfiend boar is great as you can see from my post, ... well but i dont like the other two so much. And when you upgrade your at mid lvl 20 you can even tank more then one mob with the boar because of its aoe taunt ability.

my two cents

Soulwalker

I will only use Ranger for my solo build to help level. I guess at 30 I will have to decide if I still need that handy tank pet.

Quote Originally Posted by Zatarra View Post
    I will only use Ranger for my solo build to help level. I guess at 30 I will have to decide if I still need that handy tank pet.
    I did this, using the Ranger Boar until about L31. After that it wasn't quite cutting it. I was spec'ed Nightblade, Riftstalker, Ranger. So I switched over to my Bard Role. However in the end at L34 I was 24 points in Ranger and 24 points into Bard.

Using the Dire Wolf for the DPS and the Debuffs, Healing and Buffs from the Bard all get applied to the Pet as well. With the switch I was able to take on around 5 mobs at a time, and really loved the combination.
    Current Rift Progression: 20man - GSB 5/5, RoS 5/5, HK 1/11. 10man - GP 4/4, DH 4/4, RotP 1/4.

Soulwalker

Default Razor Beast and Dire Wolf

I'm fairly new at Rift and I'm trying to figure out how to switch out my Razor Beast for the Dire Wolf. Its available on my soul tree, but I can't figure out how to activate the Dire Wolf in place of Razor Beast. What am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Owlsa View Post
    I'm fairly new at Rift and I'm trying to figure out how to switch out my Razor Beast for the Dire Wolf. Its available on my soul tree, but I can't figure out how to activate the Dire Wolf in place of Razor Beast. What am I missing?
    Press P -> Ranger Tab -> Look for Dire Wolf -> Drag skill on to your hot bar

It doesn't tank by the way..

+ Reply to Thread