+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bards - Run speed and drums! :)

Soulwalker

Default Bards - Run speed and drums! :)

I'll make this short and sweet. Love the game and in particular the Bard class! Bards don't make it into many games and I haven't seen a really solid Bard class since EQ 1, so its great to have them back.

One thing I would like to see from Rift Bards is a better run speed song. To me, Bard run speed should be the fastest in the game . . . perhaps up around the same speeds as a mount.

I don't mind having to work at it to get the speed up there, either through Soul talents or what would be even better . . . using a Drum!

Yes, just like EQ Bards. I would LOVE to see Bards use drums to modify run speed. If you wanted to run really fast you would have find and equip a Drum as you blazed across the countryside. I'm sure the drums would be a rare drop, probably from a boss in a dungeon.

My two bits.

Soulwalker

I'm thrilled to have a bard in a game again too, and a damn fine bard at that. I missed my lil EQ bard but I love my new dwarf bard.

I can live without using a drum for faster run speeds but I think that gaining a faster run speed ability through soul points is a good idea. I know pretty much every game now "borrows" from games of the past but I wouldn't want to see my adorable Rift bard turned into an old EQ bard.

Quote Originally Posted by BevinArgea View Post
    I'm thrilled to have a bard in a game again too, and a damn fine bard at that. I missed my lil EQ bard but I love my new dwarf bard.

I can live without using a drum for faster run speeds but I think that gaining a faster run speed ability through soul points is a good idea. I know pretty much every game now "borrows" from games of the past but I wouldn't want to see my adorable Rift bard turned into an old EQ bard.

I think 20% is more than fast enough for our run speed song.

Also there is 0 advantage from Bard run speed, as every group in world pvp will have a bard for said run speed.

No need to make it "mount speed" as then there is no need for a mount.
    Therylin - R5 Healer
    Thericia- R4 Rogue

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Telal View Post
    No need to make it "mount speed" as then there is no need for a mount.
    That's the whole point, I've always hated having mounts (eq1 bard for 6+ years). I'd rather run on my own feet rather than have to mount up. You'd also be surprised because it's not exactly easy to stay right on top of a bard to keep their runspeed buff on you. Most of the time everyone else would go their own way while traveling to a destination on their mounts, but bards would be able to just run like they always have in more traditional games.

Regarding drums, I don't think they're necessary. I do think there needs to be faster out of combat run speed though, at the very least. A small in combat boost (30%-50%) would also be welcome, but one thing at a time...

I think having a main hand instrument for bards would be an interesting twist... perhaps equipping the instrument would buff certain songs. While not required, using instruments would be a benefit.

mounted in-combat speed would be dumb for PvP, though it would be neat to have "Classic" Bard speed as a strictly out of combat skill.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Gosh View Post
    mounted in-combat speed would be dumb for PvP, though it would be neat to have "Classic" Bard speed as a strictly out of combat skill.
    I'd love to have a bard-specific mount that was simply an instrument (drums, to keep the EQ1 homage intact).

Same cast time as a mount, exactly same effect/dismount conditions and whatnot.
    Make it cost several plat, just like a mount. I'd use it every friggin' time

And I'm not a fan of making gear for ONE soul out of several - it's really really annoying to get such a specific drop when no-one needs it.
    The current implementation of using main hand weapon DPS is fine for me.
    Last edited by Glandur; 02-22-2011 at 09:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudboy View Post
    I'll make this short and sweet. Love the game and in particular the Bard class! Bards don't make it into many games and I haven't seen a really solid Bard class since EQ 1, so its great to have them back.

One thing I would like to see from Rift Bards is a better run speed song. To me, Bard run speed should be the fastest in the game . . . perhaps up around the same speeds as a mount.

I don't mind having to work at it to get the speed up there, either through Soul talents or what would be even better . . . using a Drum!

Yes, just like EQ Bards. I would LOVE to see Bards use drums to modify run speed. If you wanted to run really fast you would have find and equip a Drum as you blazed across the countryside. I'm sure the drums would be a rare drop, probably from a boss in a dungeon.

My two bits.

shammys, drd and rangers should get sow.
    Last edited by ninefourtyfour; 02-22-2011 at 09:10 AM.

Anyone remember DAOC and frontier war? it turned into SOS zergs that ran around hitting and running. I'm sure the rift folks worked on or played DAOC as well and thus the cap on speed increasing skills.

My two bits.
    heh another EQ bard thread...

Sorry but this is one of many threads of the same topic. Search helps, this doesn't.
    Briarcliff I make em scream.

Quote Originally Posted by Selenity View Post
    I'm not sure if you are talking to him or me. But I do care. I even care about what would bring you to the place that you would put such pictures on your profile.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by MopDaddy View Post
    heh another EQ bard thread...

Sorry but this is one of many threads of the same topic. Search helps, this doesn't.
    Uh oh, its the search police. Good, you go over on that thread then.

Soulwalker

I like your suggestion. I'll be playing a bard as well and loved the EQ bards back in the day. I hope Trion hears you!

Telaran

Default Eh?

My two bits.
    Bards already have a run speed "song" it's called an Anthym. It gives a 15% upgradable to 20% run speed bonus out of combat and can be improved to work with your group in combat. The range is also upgradeable... so unless I miss your point it's already in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by warriorbert View Post
    Bards already have a run speed "song" it's called an Anthym. It gives a 15% upgradable to 20% run speed bonus out of combat and can be improved to work with your group in combat. The range is also upgradeable... so unless I miss your point it's already in the game.
    You did. He said a *better* run speed song.
    "We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams"
    Arthur O'Shaughnessy

Soulwalker

Yeah, I meant a better run speed song . . . better than 20%. Like some others that have posted, I don't really care for mounts. In almost all recent games mounts have become standard. I would rather run around with a spell or run song than have to mount up.

Sadly I think that mounts are set in stone now in games. Mostly mounts are about bragging rights, there is nothing some people like better than attaining some sought after mount so they can go park it in a heavily populated area so they can say "Looky what I got, aren't you jealous?"

No, I like it when each class has some feature that is unique to them (Like a extremely fast run song). But most games now try to make sure that all classes can do almost everything because of PvP. My intention with the post had nothing to do with PvP btw, I hate PvP and never take part in it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast