+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ranged leveling builds

Telaran

Default Ranged leveling builds

I was thinking about using a build/setup similar to the one in this guide: http://www.riftplanesoftelaraguide.n...eveling-guide/ . I have gone to ~30 in the last beta with this, and enjoyed it.

With the (probably) upcoming damage nerf to MM though, I'm wondering if that path is still a good choice, and what other ranged leveling builds you would recommend?

Feel free to advocate going melee for leveling btw, if you feel it's substantially quicker or more fun.
    Last edited by Vorda; 02-22-2011 at 04:37 AM.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Vorda View Post
    I was thinking about using a build/setup similar to the one in this guide: http://www.riftplanesoftelaraguide.n...eveling-guide/ . I have gone to ~30 in the last beta with this, and enjoyed it.

With the (probably) upcoming damage nerf to MM though, I'm wondering if that path is still a good choice, and what other ranged leveling builds you would recommend?

Feel free to advocate going melee for leveling btw, if you feel it's substantially quicker or more fun.
    In PvE with the use of pedestals, you probably won't notice a huge amount of damage reduction. The nerf IMO is geared more towards the easy-mode PvP'ers.

Honestly though, if you're using a pet to tank for you, there's no need to go bard. It can be put into something else that increases damage (like Nightblade passives and enchantments).
    Here's a possible level 50 build I came up with for solo PvE (tested very quickly at 41 before the beta servers went down): http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...xhx0V0Auzo.V0x

It consists of MM/Ranger/NB.
    Basically, dump all your points into MM and some into NB pre-level 30. At level 30, the razorbeast tank stops leveling so you'll actually have to spend points in the Ranger tree (24 points) in order to get the greater razorbeast.
    Last edited by Neykho; 02-22-2011 at 04:46 AM.

Been leveling as Saboteur 31 / Nightblade 13 / Ranger 5

Works wonderful.

Telaran

The 10 points in NB is nice: a straight 15% damage bonus. But after those points, I see little synergy options, unless Hellfire Blades happens to work on ranged weapons? (worth a shot )
    It's a very nice option to keep available though, since I agree that Bard + Ranger may have been overkill. Worth mentioning though that Cadence is a nice combo builder with quite high damage at low levels, until MM starts scaling a bit better.

So even with the nerfs, MM is still a better dps soul in combination with ranger (for the pet) than just ranger? Since another option now may be to just get DPS talents in Ranger and get 2 souls which boost Ranger?

Thanks for the assistance so far!

edit: @cinerus: I find that playing sabo makes me want to break my keyboard on my face.
    Last edited by Vorda; 02-22-2011 at 04:56 AM.

Rift Chaser

The 10 points in NB is nice: a straight 15% damage bonus. But after those points, I see little synergy options, unless Hellfire Blades happens to work on ranged weapons? (worth a shot )
    It's a very nice option to keep available though, since I agree that Bard + Ranger may have been overkill. Worth mentioning though that Cadence is a nice combo builder with quite high damage at low levels, until MM starts scaling a bit better.

So even with the nerfs, MM is still a better dps soul in combination with ranger (for the pet) than just ranger? Since another option now may be to just get DPS talents in Ranger and get 2 souls which boost Ranger?

edit: @cinerus: I find that playing sabo makes me want to break my keyboard on my face.
    Hellfire blades definitely work with ranged. bard/ranger/marks is still a good leveling combo, hell, ranger on its own is a great leveling soul, anything else is just icing on the top.

Plane Walker

Yup Hellfire blades works with physical ranged attacks (Guns/Bullets, Bow/Arrow). I specifically had this in mind when making the build.

We can't really test out how bad the nerf is going to be until actual release. But for that other option Ranger/Sin/NB would work pretty well. Keep in mind that they're nerfing serrated blades so it can only be used in melee now. You'll probably be looking at something like this if you want that route (Just keep in mind that you'll be wasting 3 points within Assassin though):
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M....VMcbuezs.V0xM

So basically, you can either keep up 1 fire and 1 poison enchantment. Or stick to 2 poison enchantments. If you decide to go with the latter, move the 2 points from melted skin somewhere else.

People keep overlooking one really critical fact with bard. It gives both you and your pet +5% crit at 8 points (this is aside from the fact that it buffs both your armor and can keep both player and pet alive through cadence when things go south)

Marksman feeds off the tears of those that have been crit because of increased firepower. Bards give +5% crit (Motif of Focus) and Ranger gives 8% (eagle eye and feral instincts). Marksman gives +15% crit to empowered shot and deadeye shot (killer instincts). That is +28% crit on Empowered Shot and Killer Instinct, 13% for all other attacks.
    Last edited by Vell; 02-22-2011 at 05:16 AM.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Vell View Post
    People keep overlooking one really critical fact with bard. It gives both you and your pet +5% crit at 8 points (this is aside from the fact that it buffs both your armor and can keep both player and pet alive through cadence when things go south)
    - That you have to keep recasting every 15 seconds
    - Rejuvenate is all you should ever need.

Not hating on the bard, i likes em, but yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethernia View Post
    - That you have to keep recasting every 15 seconds
    - Rejuvenate is all you should ever need.

Not hating on the bard, i likes em, but yeah.
    Every 30 seconds (unless you waste points for a pointless 10% health). Most fights are over in 30 seconds unless things get hairy (in which case you can just cast it again).
    Last edited by Vell; 02-22-2011 at 05:18 AM.

Plane Walker

Every 30 seconds (unless you waste points for a pointless 10% health). Most fights are over in 30 seconds unless things get hairy (in which case you can just cast it again).
    How about something like this?
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M....VMcbuezs.V0xM

I went sort of deep into the Bard to get the super-nice instant 2 combo point Power Chord and Stage Prescence. 16 deep in order to unlock Fanfare of Power to kill stuff faster.

Going bard also lets you go deeper into the nightblade, as those two trees complement each other well.
    Last edited by Neykho; 02-22-2011 at 05:27 AM.

Rift Chaser

If you are talking leveling, that is a lot of needless repetition on top of what you are already doing, especially when you are just grinding through the quest mobs, i personally wouldn't even end up casting it.

I generally stuck to a 2 or 3 button spam, most of my way through leveling, hit rejuv when then pet rarely needed it.. that is about it.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Ethernia View Post
    If you are talking leveling, that is a lot of needless repetition on top of what you are already doing, especially when you are just grinding through the quest mobs, i personally wouldn't even end up casting it.

I generally stuck to a 2 or 3 button spam, most of my way through leveling, hit rejuv when then pet rarely needed it.. that is about it.
    G15 macros for Bard buffs. yeye.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Neykho View Post
    G15 macros for Bard buffs. yeye.
    You are still pressing the 1 extra key per fight :P, i know, not a HUGE deal.. but when you are talking 100's of encounters, it adds up.

+ Reply to Thread