+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Riftstalkers guide to the galaxy...I mean Telara Q and A + Suggestions

Default Riftstalkers guide to the galaxy...I mean Telara Q and A + Suggestions

Greetings members of the Rift community,

In preparation of the opening of my weekly Tank Telara post the "Riftstalker's guide tot he galaxy..I mean Telara." I am opening up a forum thread in turn over here. For asking of basic questions in regards to the Riftstalker and its builds. All my math and involved information will be left to the Tank Telara website. In addition if there is something you would like to see within the information that comes out of this blog. I can take suggestions from this thread. You all have been a fantastic community and I am excited to see where this community goes and how it grows. *passes out some flagon of mead* Feel free to ask any questions you want and I will respond as quickly as I can.
    Nanduan Goldenstar
    Staff Member of Tank Telara
    Tank of Telaran Aristry and the Aristry of War
    http://www.tanktelara.com

Soulwalker

I was on your site before but there was no coverage of riftstalkers on your main tanking guide, I got up to 42 in beta and tried a few builds for riftstalking, For a seasoned tank of many mmo's there are no real questions that I am wondering, Waiting on the final word for live as far as soul talents go. But I do have a question for you.

With the blinking falling threw the world bug, Do you have any idea's or macro suggestions for using memory capture to return to the fight before being sent back to respawn?

Hopefully rift fixes this before live, but knowing the way the mechanics work we will see this a problem for at least the next 8 months. Most games that had this "and forced move fears" saw this a problem and still do even after years of the game being out.

Default Faith with a little help.

Having faith as far as it working soon. I don't actually use a macro for that ability I just make sure I have it up so it is a quick fix for certain things. If you have bound to a easy access key it should be quick fix. Happily I have had very little trouble when it comes to falling through the world save for one run where I fell through 3 times and only managed to save myself once. It's one of those things where a quick trigger finger is going to be helpful in the process of saving the group/raid.

Blog post is not quite up it is going to be soon and the weekly a little bit later on.
    Nanduan Goldenstar

I'll have some things probably to bounce around later once I hit 50 and get to play with numbers and some builds and some actual Bosses to line up against.

Most of the generic Tanking stuff is just that, generic, and just about any MMO will teach you the basics of the role, so I don't really have any questions there.

Soulwalker

Good read Nanduan. I just have a couple of questions based off of the soul build you list in the "Macros and Math" section.

You've got two extra points in the Bladedancer tree assigned to hit. While I do understand completely that hit has a direct effect on threat wouldn't it be more prudent to place those points elsewhere? For say survivability.

One thing I notice is not picking up Anthem of Glory in the bard tree. Now I understand that this may be provided from another rogue, but not always guaranteed to have. Thats 209 armor (with all our armor enhancements and just counting the first rank of the skill) that you are potentially missing out on.

The other point used in Bladedancer could pretty much go anywhere. Being that personally Id choose to throw it in the Riftstalker tree. Thats an extra 1% endurance and possibly a helpful skill (like Freedom of Movement).

Not trying to tear your build apart, but just curious as to why you made those decisions. In case I'm missing something glaringly obvious.

Going to assume you only go 20 deep into Bladedancer for the Raid-wide Dexterity buff, why not go 2 more deeper for Improved False Blade since you're already giving up a chunk of Endurance and Damage Reduction to go that deep anyway?

Also I see in the Math section that you tally up the damage reductions additively, not multiplicatively. Do you have parses/logs/math to support this claim? Furthermore how does Armor damage reduction (or Magic Resists for that matter) stack up with those values? Are you assuming that when we hit lvl50 and wear full epic gear with some 7000ish Armor that we'll gain approximately 50% physical damage reduction and simply ADD that to our passive reduction, resulting in nearly 90% reduction of all physical damage?

Similar question to above is how the armor is stacking up. I haven't tested it yet and you simply added, rather than having them increase one another multiplicatively.

Quote Originally Posted by Fasc View Post
    Going to assume you only go 20 deep into Bladedancer for the Raid-wide Dexterity buff, why not go 2 more deeper for Improved False Blade since you're already giving up a chunk of Endurance and Damage Reduction to go that deep anyway?

Also I see in the Math section that you tally up the damage reductions additively, not multiplicatively. Do you have parses/logs/math to support this claim? Furthermore how does Armor damage reduction (or Magic Resists for that matter) stack up with those values? Are you assuming that when we hit lvl50 and wear full epic gear with some 7000ish Armor that we'll gain approximately 50% physical damage reduction and simply ADD that to our passive reduction, resulting in nearly 90% reduction of all physical damage?

Similar question to above is how the armor is stacking up. I haven't tested it yet and you simply added, rather than having them increase one another multiplicatively.
    Sadly this is all an unknown at this point without the constants needed to Really delve into the exacts of the mg reduction provided. The constants are what I am currently working cracking cause with those constants everything else seems to come together.

As for the dmg reduction as things stand at the moment it has diminishing returns from all of what I have come up with which will be covere in greater detail with the weekly postings. Basically what I have found is it works something like. 15% off of X dmg then X% off of that and so on down the line. When done this way all that it y% off it does not add up to the exact percentage of dmg I.E

Lets start with 1000 dmg and take 15% off of that leaving us with 850. Then take 6% off of that. 799 with 2.5% off for 779 then the final 6% for 752

And changing those numbers around will greatly effect the outcome result of the whole thing. But..I t appears to me that is diminishing returns starting with the lowest percentages first and ending with the bigger percentages. Does that make sense to everyone or am I missing something. If I am missing something let me know and I'll post it in the weekly with your name to give you credit.

The reason this is NOT included within the blog is this is advanced math targeted at raiders and number crunchers. I want the newbies to know they will be getting a viable class and can always ask about the details of how the percentages are calculated in the end result of dmg. All of that information all of us over at TT are working to crack.
    Nanduan Goldenstar

Naw clarification was all I needed. You're doing it multiplicatively and it doesn't matter what order you do it in, provided you get the right numbers to start with. Some have been claiming, and I hate saying this over and over the game needs to friggin go Live, that they don't multiply but instead just add up giving some pretty crazy exponential returns.

Once at lvl50 I can stop asking silly questions and just test/confirm it all myself, but I figured since others are doing similar stuff, I might as well compare notes.

Default Weekly Postings

Quote Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
    Good read Nanduan. I just have a couple of questions based off of the soul build you list in the "Macros and Math" section.

You've got two extra points in the Bladedancer tree assigned to hit. While I do understand completely that hit has a direct effect on threat wouldn't it be more prudent to place those points elsewhere? For say survivability.

One thing I notice is not picking up Anthem of Glory in the bard tree. Now I understand that this may be provided from another rogue, but not always guaranteed to have. Thats 209 armor (with all our armor enhancements and just counting the first rank of the skill) that you are potentially missing out on.

The other point used in Bladedancer could pretty much go anywhere. Being that personally Id choose to throw it in the Riftstalker tree. Thats an extra 1% endurance and possibly a helpful skill (like Freedom of Movement).

Not trying to tear your build apart, but just curious as to why you made those decisions. In case I'm missing something glaringly obvious.
    In response Maynard some of the specs I will list in the weekly blog will have the types of specs you speak of, just keep an eye on the weekly when it comes out especially as I get closer to raid level in live. I will have all kinds of specs to throw out.
    Nanduan Goldenstar

+ Reply to Thread