+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: If Trion is Going to Nerf Serated Blades for Ranged, Please Give an Alternaitve Skill

Default If Trion is Going to Nerf Serated Blades for Ranged, Please Give an Alternaitve Skill

Alpha 27-11-B
    2/21/2011

Serrated Blades: Causes the target to bleed for 33-100% of your weapon's damage over 6 seconds, down from 60-180%. Now only triggers from melee weapon critical attacks. It no longer triggers from ranged weapon critical attacks or attacks that require 'Any Weapon' and are not considered melee weapon attacks [Bard damage abilities, Saboteur Charges, Bombs, etc.]. Nightblade ranged attacks are considered melee weapon attacks and can trigger Serrated Blades.
    I understand Trion needing to lower the ranged DPS on rogues thus the nerf to Serated Blades on the unofficial patch notes, however; this makes it so that there is not a single skill that gives any benefit to rangers, saboteurs or marksman in the 8-10 point range on assassin.

Please include a 3 point skill somewhere in the bottom two tiers of Assassin that in any way can benefit a ranged rogue. The easiest change would simply to make it so that Improved Final Blow effects all finishers, not just Final Blow, but really, I would be happy with anything since I really enjoy playing a ranged Assassin and would hate to have to literally throw away 3 points to go from tier 2 to tier 3 abilities.
    Last edited by Vell; 02-22-2011 at 12:09 AM.

Rift Chaser

Not gonna happen. It seems they are dead set on making MM and MM/SIN a less played class. I'm switching to Riftblade, you should join me I thought MM was already challenging; I don't think I can handle whining even more about my class being gimped.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Vell View Post
    I understand Trion needing to lower the ranged DPS on rogues thus the nerf to Serated Blades on the unofficial patch notes, however; this makes it so that there is not a single skill that gives any benefit to rangers, saboteurs or marksman in the 8-10 point range on assassin.

Please include a 3 point skill somewhere in the bottom two tiers of Assassin that in any way can benefit a ranged rogue. The easiest change would simply to make it so that Improved Final Blow effects all finishers, not just Final Blow, but really, I would be happy with anything since I really enjoy playing a ranged Assassin and would hate to have to literally throw away 3 points to go from tier 2 to tier 3 abilities.
    a Nightblade is a ranged assassin. Also the 3 points you're supposedly "wasting" in 3/3 cloak and dagger aren't really wasted. Opening with one of those abilities would be a dps increase for you.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Tenkuro View Post
    Not gonna happen. It seems they are dead set on making MM and MM/SIN a less played class. I'm switching to Riftblade, you should join me I thought MM was already challenging; I don't think I can handle whining even more about my class being gimped.
    Warrior will probably have more FOTM classes for you. Enjoy.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I agree with the nerfs Trion made despite playing those souls myself. I just don't agree with making it so that there is literally nothing to spend points on from the 8-10 points range on assassin if I chose to play a ranged rogue (which is 3 of the 8 souls).

Soulwalker

I really donīt see why a a marksman build should have skills that benefits ranged in the assassintree?

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by blahdot3h View Post
    Warrior will probably have more FOTM classes for you. Enjoy.
    Sorry for my ignorance, what's FOTM?

Plane Walker

I mostly agree. Cloak and Dagger is decent for a Sab(but only if you don't have access to dark malady in the NB tree which is 5% more dmg and ranged).

fotm=flavour of the month
    Last edited by `xell; 02-22-2011 at 12:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blahdot3h View Post
    a Nightblade is a ranged assassin. Also the 3 points you're supposedly "wasting" in 3/3 cloak and dagger aren't really wasted. Opening with one of those abilities would be a dps increase for you.
    Cloak and dagger are not really any good to a MM, Ranger or Saboteur. None of those souls are interested in closing the gap (but there are plenty of other skill choices all the way up the Saboteur tree for all of those roles except for in the 8-10 point range if they nerf Serrated Blades)

Quote Originally Posted by Squiddow View Post
    I really donīt see why a a marksman build should have skills that benefits ranged in the assassintree?
    Why shouldn't they? I love the idea of sneaking around shooting people with poisoned arrows and hitting their vital parts with expert accuracy (crits). It is one of the most classic types of assassins, in both reality and fiction.

(This is how I ended on making my PvE leveling build by the way: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M....VMcf0xkco.Vcz .)
    Last edited by Vell; 02-22-2011 at 12:33 AM.

Soulwalker

Nerfing a talent from assasin tree to fix MM/ranger dmg seems silly to me. The nerf hits melee rogues aswell and they could use some love more so then lack of it. The nerf to the main shots for ranger/mm SHOULD be enough of a nerf, if not its not hard to work more from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Incarnadine View Post
    Nerfing a talent from assasin tree to fix MM/ranger dmg seems silly to me. The nerf hits melee rogues aswell and they could use some love more so then lack of it. The nerf to the main shots for ranger/mm SHOULD be enough of a nerf, if not its not hard to work more from there.
    Now that I think about it, yeah, you are right. There must be a reason why they nerfed the ability for both ranged AND melee, but regardless of Trion's reasons, they should have SOMETHING in the 8-10 range that can at least be minorly useful to ranged classes, even decreasing the bleed effect to just 15% for ranged (5% per point x3) would be better than nothing.
    Last edited by Vell; 02-22-2011 at 12:40 AM.

There goes my Perma stealth Ranger/Assassin build for solo pvp. Seems like Trion is trying to force everyone into certain builds.

Telaran

Just like there's something useful for melee classes in the marksman tree, or, arguably - there are better choices than 5% crit, than the ranger tree above 5 points? ;)

The Assassin (and Nightblade) are surprisingly nice towards ranged, but to get something more out of the Assassin tree, you'd probably have to melee some now.

It leads to somewhat interesting choices, such as wondering if it's worth to "waste" a point (or several) to get a more powerful ability, or can I invest it somewhere else and get better return for everything? It may be worth investigating the Nightblade instead, as it offers a very high bonus to every attack for little investment and no wasted points.

For 15 points in Nightblade, you'll get 18% combo/finisher damage and 3% on everything else. And 5% damage bonus whenever your hellfire blades proc, which should be equally reliable as crits in keeping permanently up.
    The Assassin would net you 5% crit, 4% damage bonus, 10% damage bonus when critting and +20% crit damage for 17 points, where you're "wasting" 3 points.
    Assuming you can crit/proc at least once every 10 seconds, you have a generic 23% damage boost from the Nightblade, and 14% from the Assassin, with 5% crit and 20% crit bonus (which unless your crit rating is absurdly high isn't a good DPS boost). Since 1% damage boost is roughly twice as good as 1% crit (less with Magnify pain, but still better), there's a decently large favor for Nightblade right there, even if excluding the 3% damage boost to hellfire/poison procs. ;)

Not to mention the Nightblade stealth powers are just that much better (except the stun, but you can't have everything!), and actually useful for a ranged character.
    A 20 meter Incapacitate, a 20 meter 2 sec confuse.
    And let's not forget, the 20 meter 20% damage boost for 8 seconds.

This changes if you're just PvPing, of course, where those burst crits beat sustained DPS. And it may just be worth sacrificing 3 points to get to that point.
    But for the sake of argument, I'm assuming not everything rotates around PvP. It gets a lot less messy that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonious View Post
    Just like there's something useful for melee classes in the marksman tree, or, arguably - there are better choices than 5% crit, than the ranger tree above 5 points? ;)

The Assassin (and Nightblade) are surprisingly nice towards ranged, but to get something more out of the Assassin tree, you'd probably have to melee some now.

It leads to somewhat interesting choices, such as wondering if it's worth to "waste" a point (or several) to get a more powerful ability, or can I invest it somewhere else and get better return for everything? It may be worth investigating the Nightblade instead, as it offers a very high bonus to every attack for little investment and no wasted points.

For 15 points in Nightblade, you'll get 18% combo/finisher damage and 3% on everything else. And 5% damage bonus whenever your hellfire blades proc, which should be equally reliable as crits in keeping permanently up.
    The Assassin would net you 5% crit, 4% damage bonus, 10% damage bonus when critting and +20% crit damage for 17 points, where you're "wasting" 3 points.
    Assuming you can crit/proc at least once every 10 seconds, you have a generic 23% damage boost from the Nightblade, and 14% from the Assassin, with 5% crit and 20% crit bonus (which unless your crit rating is absurdly high isn't a good DPS boost). Since 1% damage boost is roughly twice as good as 1% crit (less with Magnify pain, but still better), there's a decently large favor for Nightblade right there, even if excluding the 3% damage boost to hellfire/poison procs. ;)

Not to mention the Nightblade stealth powers are just that much better (except the stun, but you can't have everything!), and actually useful for a ranged character.
    A 20 meter Incapacitate, a 20 meter 2 sec confuse.
    And let's not forget, the 20 meter 20% damage boost for 8 seconds.

This changes if you're just PvPing, of course, where those burst crits beat sustained DPS. And it may just be worth sacrificing 3 points to get to that point.
    But for the sake of argument, I'm assuming not everything rotates around PvP. It gets a lot less messy that way.
    Oh, I am not debating the nightblade as a very nice pairing with Ranger, I just love the ability to stealth around, poison things, and still do ranged damage with lots of crits. I will play my Assassin/Ranger/Bard even if I have to waste 3 points or if it does not have the best DPS simply because I love the play style.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhazes View Post
    There goes my Perma stealth Ranger/Assassin build for solo pvp. Seems like Trion is trying to force everyone into certain builds.
    What? Because you lack a DoT crit proc? Oh please.
    Play to Crush.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast