+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking for feedback on my MM/Sin/Sab build

Soulwalker

Question Looking for feedback on my MM/Sin/Sab build

As the title says I'm looking for feedback on this build MM/Sin/Sab:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...dR.MVRbt0b0z.V

Some notes:
    The bottom of the Assassin tree is a a little questionable but I'm trying to anticipate the leaked notes saying Serrated Blades no longer works with ranged attacks.

I know I'm blowing points to get stealth but I'm pretty firm I want to keep those even though it miffs me to miss out on Poison Potency.

That said which is better Magnify Pain or Poison Potency (2)? I'm open to either. Should I lose the L40 MM ability and steal some points from there to fill in Poison Potency and get both?

As for the MM side I've heard some poo-pooing of the Master Archer talent and would happily move those points to Keen Eye if given a compelling reason.

I leveled this to 30 in beta and I really liked the game play. I also liked that it was effective in WFs with no changes at least through 30 so I could my Riftstalker secondary role to tank for my friends when needed. Obviously I'll get the additional roles and make a more focused PvP build in the future. I focused on MM to 22 and then started adding extra points to Assassin in my 20s (was planning to get the 21 in Assassin and go back to MM with the Sabo points coming late).

Thanks for any input and opinions in advance.

Champion

Go 51 Sab or go home.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by XFracture View Post
    Go 51 Sab or go home.
    Well your eloquence and concise wit along with unquestionable logic have nigh convinced me. Anyone else? Please don't be intimidated by Xfracture's amazing post.

Default Well Done

I like the build personally even with the nay sayers attacking the Marks. It has amazing kiting capability on top of pretty solid pve abilities. I say try it out and if you do not think you are killing fast enough or dealing enough dmg in pve you can always switch it up and perfect it.
    Nanduan Goldenstar
    Staff Member of Tank Telara
    Tank of Telaran Aristry and the Aristry of War
    http://www.tanktelara.com

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Kthulhu99 View Post
    Well your eloquence and concise wit along with unquestionable logic have nigh convinced me. Anyone else? Please don't be intimidated by Xfracture's amazing post.
    Someone doesn't like my funnies?

I havent played MM so bear with me here as i critic to the best of my ability. First of all a question, is this a pvp focused build? or PvE? I notice you mention PvP in your post but im curious because you neglect to pick up Static Shot in your build. A ranged root seems good lol, maybe its just me talking nonsense because like i said i never played MM.

Also looking at PvP, Assassin is a great secondary spec, although anticipating the changes as you are maybe try another secondary? You can gain much more utility out of a Riftstalker build maybe, and a little more survivability since i hear thats going to be a problem now for MM (just listening to trolls mind you). It also gives you the Shadow Shift ability which is great for getting away on top of all you have already.

Lastly as you mentioned before you will be going into the PvP soul, at least some points because its really nice damage boost against players, or damage reduction depending on how you go in the tree. So unless you dont plan on PvPing at 50, i would try and make a build focused on that because its all moot about secondary specs then.

If it is for PvE, i would suggest something along the same lines as before, test out a different secondary. If the alpha changes hit, which we are assuming they will for the purpose of this critic, Assassin will have a lot less synergy than some of the other options for MM.

Again, didnt really play MM so all of this could just be ******** to you, but i feel like looking over the talents and my small understanding of game mechanics are enough to gives some critic.

Quote Originally Posted by XFracture View Post
    Someone doesn't like my funnies?
    It's pretty stupid humor.

For OP,
    - I notice you have a few melee specific talent skill. Why? As a marksman, you should be able to keep out of melee range so no need for those melee talents.
    - Sab is okay choice, however, I would consider RS for 15% AP (15% dex = 7.5%AP + (?)Crit). However, with RS, you get free teleport skill, which is good for Marksman getaway. MM/RS should be an melee untouchable class.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Kelqor View Post
    - I notice you have a few melee specific talent skill. Why? As a marksman, you should be able to keep out of melee range so no need for those melee talents.
    - Sab is okay choice, however, I would consider RS for 15% AP (15% dex = 7.5%AP + (?)Crit). However, with RS, you get free teleport skill, which is good for Marksman getaway. MM/RS should be an melee untouchable class.
    The melee specific talents are because Serrated Blades are reportedly being changed to affect melee abilities only so I have to place 3 points somewhere. Those seemed the least objectionable.

I mostly grabbed Sab in the beginning because the Adhesive Bomb is incredibly useful. We'll have to see some real end game math as to which is better as far 15%AP or 15%Dex. While I'll still be grabbing Sab early I can definitely see switching it to RS later.

Manki

This is a PvE build. I just mentioned it because I was pleased that in the low tiers it worked well enough that I didn't have to hurry up and get a third Role for PvP as I will be occasionally tanking for my group of friends.

As for Static Shot, since I mainly just did PvE, I wasn't attracted to a 5s root that broke on damage. I mostly was shooting whatever was coming at me so I'd probably break it early. It also doesn't last long enough as a CC for multiple mobs and would just split them making it harder to kite them together through the snare bomb (especially since you tend to have to kite in circles to avoid adds as opposed to running straight away). I will probably play with it some as it should be easy enough to shift a point over for it.

If the loss of Serrated Blades ends up being too much I could definitely see swapping Sin out for NB. NB would give a very similar feel: fire buffs instead of poisons, stealth albeit unimproved, plus the 2 15% dam boosts to finishers and combo point abilities. I'm doing everything I can to avoid Ranger despite the obvious synergy as I don't want a pet. I could see myself using Ranger as a third soul but unlikely over the RS or Sab option.

Thanks for the replies so far....

Quote Originally Posted by Kthulhu99 View Post
    The melee specific talents are because Serrated Blades are reportedly being changed to affect melee abilities only so I have to place 3 points somewhere. Those seemed the least objectionable.
    Improved Salvage Strike & Puncture probably won't be used, so may as well get Cloak and Dagger if you need to spend buffer points. Chance of you using Paralyze Strike is more than those other 2 imo. +15% dmg buff is for when you can attack from stealth.

Soulwalker

Improved Salvage Strike & Puncture probably won't be used, so may as well get Cloak and Dagger if you need to spend buffer points. Chance of you using Paralyze Strike is more than those other 2 imo. +15% dmg buff is for when you can attack from stealth.
    I can't argue with that. I just looked quick, saw Improved Savage Strike, and considered that I sometimes used it when I felt lazy or wanted to press a button other than Quick Shot to the face. At least Cloak and Dagger would have some good, if situational, uses.

Ok, so for PvE.

I know why you like imp stealth, i really do lol. Will this be a build specific to instance and raiding? If so, it is honestly a waste of points that could be used somewhere else . Even if it is a leveling/Soloing PvE soul by the time you can get imp stealth, it still wont be worth it.

You dont have to go Ranger, there are many other options to go besides it. Mixing up Nightblade and Bladedancer comes to mind. something like this

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...udR.V0x0h.VV0c

This will bump up your dmg alot more than Assassin (pending changes are real) enhancing every aspect of your damage. Auto attacks, cp builders, and finishers. Lastly the flat 3% damage buff from nightblade is smexy. Although you lose the 10% damage buff from Assassin tree via Cruel Vengeance, you ACTUALLY gain more bonus because of these 2 second and third souls. Even adding murderous intent in the assassin tree (4% dmg to physical) that still only makes these attacks 14% more effective. Therfore:

14% dmg buff from assassin < 15% dmg buff to cp builder, 15% dmg buff to finishers, 50% more white dmg, and 3% flat damage buff

Also, yes you lose 5% crit and 20% crit dmg bonus. As we know from mechanics crit is based off RNG, making it a less effective stat than a flat damage buff. Total stats look like this:

5% crit+14% dmg+20% crit dmg+15% DEX < 15% dmg to CP builders+15% dmg to finishers+3% Dmg+5% hit+50% white Dmg+9% DEX

Broken down it looks like this:

5% crit + 20% crit dmg + 6% DEX (your build) < 4% dmg to Specials + 36% white dmg + 5% hit (the one i listed)

DISCLAIMER: This is just tooltip math, which is possibly worse than napkin math so if i jacked it up i apologize. In the end, it doesnt really matter what you play as long as you like it and are competitive. If you feel like you enjoy Assassin more go for it! Im not here to change your mind im here to give some feedback . Honestly it probably wont matter because they are pretty close so play what you like.

Take it for what you will.

Champion

It's pretty stupid humor.
    Awww... you hurt my feelings.

Really.

Really.

+ Reply to Thread