+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Never Played a Bard and I need help on a pvp spec

Rift Disciple

Default Never Played a Bard and I need help on a pvp spec

I've played a MM/Sin/NB Rogue up to almost 30 and a Necro/Lock/Dom till mid 30's. I was just fiddling around with the talent calc and came up with this for PVP(again PVP only, mostly solo/small group)

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M....V0x.0VMft0b0z

Is there anything you'd change on it? Please be kind as I said I've never played a Bard but it's something I'd consider. It seems to be like the Minstrel from DAOC which in the hands of a smart player was an amazing class.
    Zeratul - 50 Rank 6 Rogue/Zeratulz 4x Mage - Seastone Defiant - Rift

DAOC - WoW - AoC - WAR - Aion
    Zeratul/Zeratulz/Zeratuls

Soulwalker

Bards are usually tanks in Warfronts. Good teams will target you early and try to burst you down quickly since you provide so much healing and utility but have no real burst heal to survive focus fire. Plus the cadence animation is pretty much a giant arrow pointing directly at your face screaming "Over here!! Kill me!!"

With that in mind I would recommend a build like this --
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...z.xI00uVdok.Vh

The 8 points in Nightblade will get you stealth as well as the only talent that will improve Cadence damage which is your bread and butter AoE heal thanks to the 3 points in Invigorated Soul.

You get a ton of survivability from the Riftstalker soul. You can plane shift using multiple moves(Shadow Shift, Shadow Stalk, Shadow Blitz, Shadow Warp, and Shadow Assault if you choose to sacrifice a point somewhere else for it) which, when talented, are on shortened cooldowns, give you a shield, increase movement speed, and provides a small window of snare immunity. You also get a finisher that shields you as well as some survivability talents.

You'll notice in the bard soul I left out the improved fanfares and anthems as well as the group mez. With buffs in their current form, players in warfronts are either overwriting your fanfares and anthems with similar and inferior buffs of their own or losing the buff when they die making these talents kind of a waste. As for the group mez, it has a very long cast time and rarely sticks for more than a second or two, I see this as more of a PvE talent. Finally I see 5 points in Resonance as an absolute must, motifs are one of our defining abilities and they should be up at all times, this gives them an even bigger boost.

As a bard, I personally tend to avoid most damage talents as we are a support class and I feel our damage comes through other players and you'll do decent enough damage with cadence and the shifting attacks from RS. I'm not saying you should avoid doing damage at all, not by a long shot, it just isn't our focus. Basically your objective is to keep your motifs up, cadence anyone in range for the aoe heal, use coda of distress and coda of cowardice to debuff grouped players then coda of regeneration when necessary. If everything seems alright at the moment you can do some damage or have some fun baiting people into your team or ambushes by standing in an obvious place spamming cadence till some fool comes to jump you, then just start blinking towards your team and voila!. I try to stay in the middle/frontish of my team during big clashes so that if I get attacked everyone else can see it happening, I find when I stand off to the side most players tunnel vision keeps them from helping me even though the heals and buffs stopped flowing. For emergency situations you can RIff, shield yourself, virtuoso, then spam the regeneration coda to save you and your teammates, then blink away to safety. Use Riftstalker talents to stay alive when you're focus fired and blink to your allies so they can pick off the players foolish enough to chase you around.

Sorry if this is a bit of a wall o' text.
    Last edited by Branthan; 02-21-2011 at 09:15 PM.

Rift Disciple

A mixture of Bard/Rift will likely be the most survivable. You might wanna mix in a ranged snare from Sab/NB/Ranger trees to help get aways. 26 points in Rift is a lot and you miss some of the good bard skills I might do something like this.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M....EcdVVoskqz.Vh (no ranged snare but good suvivability)
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...z.Ecdqikskqz.m (with ranged AoE snare)

Still get 1-2 plane shifts and huge dmg bonus to cadence as well as improved rift guard/guardian phase ffor turtling. Most of the bard buffs, the second build goes to 44 while the firs stops at 40. Both have AoE mez and the Int/Wis buff for caster parties.

Shadowlander

The posters above summed up most of the important things about PVP bards; namely, they are primarily raid healers and tanks, and RS/Bard is the best way to perform this role.

The build I plan to use is similar to those of Sixfeetdeep right above me:
    18 Riftstalker / 34 Bard / 14 Infiltrator
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...doV0szqz.VVb0b
    (I played with 18/34/0 on my 39 in beta)

Again, this build is focused entirely on raid healing throughput and tankability; probably my best warfront numbers to brag about are 120k healing done and 75k damage tanked in a match of codex (level 39). I had 4.5k hp self-buffed with Guardian Phase active.

18 RS gives you Guardian Phase, which is an instant cast toggle of huge survivability gains for only the loss of 30% Cadence healing (due to the -30% damage).

34 Bard gives you Verse of Captivation, which I consider an absolutely essential ability for any PVP bard. It also gets you all the healing goodies the tree has to offer, except for Verse of Vitality at 44, which I consider an acceptable loss for the resulting survivability gains.

14 Infiltrator provides -50% damage for 4s after being stunned and -2 sec to stuns. The reduction on Break Free CD is very useful as well; being poly'd for a full 15s is about the worst thing that could happen when your teammates are relying on your healing.

Other notes:

In Bard:
    Anthem of Glory can be swapped for Imp. Anthem of Competence, or you can use the point somewhere else if you expect to always use Anthem of Fervor.
    Power Chord is similarly up to personal taste.

In RS:
    3/3 Rift Scavenger is absurdly good when you need the healing (with the talent below it, it heals 40% of your HP with 5 combo points), but by nature it is rather randomly situational (particularly, you can't easily kill anything yourself, so usage of this will require your targeting the main burn target). Taking 5/5 Great Fortitude is an alternative.
    A point can be taken somewhere for Shadow Assault if you so choose, for some extra mobility (though unlike Shadow Stalk, this ability cannot be used on friendly targets).

On Infiltrator:
    Other builds such as those above that take Nightblade will have more healing throughput due to the Cadence boost (and you could even get Verse of Vitality if you do 18/44/4) but you lose the anti-CC utility from Infiltrator; as such, I personally think Infiltrator is essential for PVP.
    Also, I'm not sure whether or not it is, but if Cleanse Soul is usable while CC'd, that just makes Infiltrator all the more attractive.
    Last edited by Grebnev; 02-21-2011 at 09:51 PM.

Default Greatly Appreciated!

I want to thank Branthan and Grebnev for this feedback. I've been struggling with the bard build although it fascinates me and I want to make it work. I prefer ranged characters, but if Riftblade is the way to go to make bards functional, I'll definitely explore that route. Thanks guys!
    "Graze on my lips; and if those hills be dry, stray lower, where the pleasant fountains lie." - William Shakespeare

Rift Disciple

Any other opinions would be greatly appreciated!
    Zeratul - 50 Rank 6 Rogue/Zeratulz 4x Mage - Seastone Defiant - Rift

DAOC - WoW - AoC - WAR - Aion
    Zeratul/Zeratulz/Zeratuls

Soulwalker

Some nice builds above, here is the one I am planning towards:
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...Vqqskqz.Vh.xIh

Missing some survivability from Riftstalker in order to go for the 44 heal, and on how useful I find that heal to actually be will depend on if I drop out of it to up riftstalker and run a similar build to a couple of the ones posted above.

I had very good success with Barf/Rift combo in PvP. Throw in BD for dodge cooldown when you get mobbed by bunch of melees and it's a great support and survivability all around.

If you are looking for a solo PvP Bard build I would recommend this: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...z0Vqsooz.Vhx0z

The Nightblade & Rifter passive abilities boost Bard damage which boosts your healing too. The idea is to use Cadence for healing (awards 3 combo points) and then quickly get the other two combo points so you can unleash a finisher with all five points built up. Nightblade gives you a melee attack that hits fairly hard and awards 2 combo points, Dusk Strike, and a good finisher with Blazing Strike. It also gives you a ranged attack, Twilight Force, that also awards 2 combo points and has a snare also. So Nightblade brings your damage output up to par and gives you some options like stealth. Then Riftstalker gives you survivability with damage reduction and it also boosts your Bard damage & healing. You won't have the range of someone with a bow, but from 0-20 meters you are in good shape.
    Don't let people tell you a Bard's job is just support, that is an old mentality that just doesn't fly in this game. That's why we have three souls to play with, so we can tweak our toom to be what we want it to be. This build still brings a lot of support to a group, but you can support the group while you kick butt.

Quote Originally Posted by Branthan View Post
    With that in mind I would recommend a build like this --
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...z.xI00uVdok.Vh
    Great first post. And solid Bard info, imho.

Although I was considering full bard, I found the Street Performer and Stage Presence to be too little return for the points. And I never found Fascination of much use without the utility from Riftstalker and Nightblade to follow up after using it.

And by the time Verse of Vitality refreshed, I could have been on another Riff+Virtuoso+Restoration rampage.

Going with your build, if the benefits from Resonance were cut in half, would you drop it and take Fascination and complete Deafening Music - leaving you 1 point for another stun in Rift Prison?

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M....xI00uVdokz.Vh

Shadowlander

Until I know how Resonance is going to play at end game, I have it in my spec. I do run with a duo or trio regularly so we do some switch kiting which is why I chose Sab as my 3rd soul... I love the sticky bomb.

My experience has also been that the Nightblade finishers hit harder than Bard finishers, which is why I have the point in Flame Thrust... Going to have to test that at 50 and see how it plays out.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...Viqskqz.x.ihxo

Different than most, but thats the way I tend to be.

+ Reply to Thread