+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Riftstalker Tanking: Key abilities and mechanics.

Default Riftstalker Tanking: Key abilities and mechanics.

Please refer to Riftstalker Tanking: Key Abilities and Mechanics 2.0 for an updated version of this guide, thanks!
    Last edited by Zayrinoke; 02-23-2011 at 02:27 AM.

Soulwalker

Red face a very nice post thank you

i played in the last stages of the beta and fell inlove with that soul , the tanking side of it looked fun
    but in game was abit confusing
    your post helped and bookmarked thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Obve View Post
    i played in the last stages of the beta and fell inlove with that soul , the tanking side of it looked fun
    but in game was abit confusing
    your post helped and bookmarked thank you
    I'm glad it was able to help. If you or anyone else has any specific questions you're more than welcome to post them here, by the way. I'll try to answer and if I don't know then we'll see if we can figure it out.

Effective Health: 51 Riftstalker/7 Bard/8 Ranger - Avoidance: 36 Riftstalker/8 Bard/22 Bladedancer - Healthy Mix: 51 Riftstalker/7 Bard/8 Bladedancer
    Riftstalker Tanking - Key Abilities and Mechanics 2.0
    Zayrinoke, Level 50 Bahmi Rogue - Zerstorer, Level 43 Bahmi Warrior - Asche, Level 20 Kelari Cleric - Haifisch, Level 32 Eth Mage
    Multiple Shards

Wow. Great thread. Thanks for doing all that leg work.

The two builds you linked are very close to my two choices. Right now I agree that going deep into BD seems preferable but I think we need to wait for what we have in store for end game to really decide.

I have a gut feeling that the devs are going to try and push people to go 51 into their main tree to make balancing easier. It just makes sense that it's going to be a nightmare to balance so many possible builds they may as well make it easier on themselves by marginalizing some of the "hybrid" builds out there.

I can see them increasing the bonuses from Imp. Rift Guard and Imp. Guardian Phase so going 51 into RS works out better mathwise for and end game RS Tank.

Honestly if you take your free shield when you blink you already have a weaker version of Rift Guard in place at the start of the fight making you one of the easiest tanks to heal the entire time.

This shield absorbs 15% of incoming damage for 60% of your max health making it better than an early 5 point Rift Guard before you can spec into Improved Rift Guard.

This shield also makes early pulling a breeze and lessens the danger of early fights considerably, allowing you to start out with a 5 point Guarded steel then put up a 5 point Riftguard before going on to the lesser avoidance buffs such as False Blade or even Annihlate.

Personally however for late game Annihlate will never be used, instead being replaced by the 5% raid crit finisher in Blade dancer (cant remember the name offhand)

As for going 51 in RS I honestly do not see the Dev's ever forcing that on you. The only reason to go 51 in RS at this point in time is to combine Defer Death with Scatter the Shadows giving you effectively 12 seconds of total damage immunity.

I personally prefer the 15 second avoidance buff in Bladedancer combined with all the other reductions but the Defer Death/Scatter combo could be very useful against say a boss who hits you with a 1 shot fireball or something of that nature.

One question...

Do you recommend using Shadow Stalk to open in the pulls where you don't use Flashback? Just wondering if it's generally smart to Plane Shift in some way prior to the pull so Rift Barrier is up at the start?

Quote Originally Posted by AddoExAtrum View Post
    Honestly if you take your free shield when you blink you already have a weaker version of Rift Guard in place at the start of the fight making you one of the easiest tanks to heal the entire time.

This shield absorbs 15% of incoming damage for 60% of your max health making it better than an early 5 point Rift Guard before you can spec into Improved Rift Guard.

This shield also makes early pulling a breeze and lessens the danger of early fights considerably, allowing you to start out with a 5 point Guarded steel then put up a 5 point Riftguard before going on to the lesser avoidance buffs such as False Blade or even Annihlate.

Personally however for late game Annihlate will never be used, instead being replaced by the 5% raid crit finisher in Blade dancer (cant remember the name offhand)

As for going 51 in RS I honestly do not see the Dev's ever forcing that on you. The only reason to go 51 in RS at this point in time is to combine Defer Death with Scatter the Shadows giving you effectively 12 seconds of total damage immunity.

I personally prefer the 15 second avoidance buff in Bladedancer combined with all the other reductions but the Defer Death/Scatter combo could be very useful against say a boss who hits you with a 1 shot fireball or something of that nature.
    No reason not to use Annihilate just because you've picked up the Crit finisher, you can easily fit them both into your abilities.
    I was thinking about Rift Barrier, and I would like to have it in there, however after those first ~10 seconds the points become completely useless. This is also assuming you pull with a Phase Shift, any other sort of pull and the points become 100% useless. I couldn't think of anything i could justify dropping to pick it up. If I did move 4 points there, it would be out of Planar Shift, Hasted Time and Rift Prison, most likely.

Edit: I think I'm going to go ahead and work those 4 points into the Rift Barrier talents, because it does make sense given what's been said in my own post about how those first 10-20 seconds are the most dangerous. Thanks for convincing me.
    Last edited by Zayrinoke; 02-21-2011 at 08:59 PM.

Effective Health: 51 Riftstalker/7 Bard/8 Ranger - Avoidance: 36 Riftstalker/8 Bard/22 Bladedancer - Healthy Mix: 51 Riftstalker/7 Bard/8 Bladedancer
    Zayrinoke, Level 50 Bahmi Rogue - Zerstorer, Level 43 Bahmi Warrior - Asche, Level 20 Kelari Cleric - Haifisch, Level 32 Eth Mage
    Multiple Shards

Quote Originally Posted by mkultra55 View Post
    One question...

Do you recommend using Shadow Stalk to open in the pulls where you don't use Flashback? Just wondering if it's generally smart to Plane Shift in some way prior to the pull so Rift Barrier is up at the start?
    On a pull such as that I'd either open with Shadow Assault or Shadow blitz, typically. Shadow Stalk works as well, though the former two are preferably since they supply threat in the same GCD.

Multiple Shards

The problem with this is that it Dauntless Strike's Crit Buff is overwritten by other crit buffs like Bard's Motif of Focus. I expect it will be a very rare occurrence to raid without a Bard.

It was a thought I had while talking about Rift with my GM in WOW. One of the reasons WOW went to it's new talent point system was to minimize the number of builds they needs to balance for both PVE and PVP. The Rift devs are faced with a more difficult task just by the added number of tree combos compared to WOW. Add in the hybrid builds that go 20 plus deep into two trees and it's an almost impossible task to get real balance.

I don't think they'll ever force the issue like Blizzard did but they can make going 51 into a tree so attractive that any other builds becomes marginalized.

Soulwalker

This is a great thread, well laid out for RiftStalkers.

Personally I went with RS/Sin/Bard for the stealth option and incapacitate, you dont need a seperate CC.

Sin: The damage from sins scales much better than the RS or Bard (I have not played bladedancer). I know alot of people argue that assassins are gimp but this combination works really well for me. For tanking with the build listed I would put atleast 17 points to obtain +20% crit damage, +5% crit strike, Blinding powder, Serrated Blades, +4% physical damage.

Bard: See original post

That +15% Dex though ... I might have to try that out. Thanks for the great post!

Quote Originally Posted by Tenison_Grey View Post
    The problem with this is that it Dauntless Strike's Crit Buff is overwritten by other crit buffs like Bard's Motif of Focus. I expect it will be a very rare occurrence to raid without a Bard.
    I didn't know this. Would be nice if there was a list somewhere of buffs that overwrite/don't stack. I'll edit the OP to include a note on this when I polish it up later tonight/tomorrow.

Multiple Shards

Quote Originally Posted by Raaknaal View Post
    This is a great thread, well laid out for RiftStalkers.

Personally I went with RS/Sin/Bard for the stealth option and incapacitate, you dont need a seperate CC.

Sin: The damage from sins scales much better than the RS or Bard (I have not played bladedancer). I know alot of people argue that assassins are gimp but this combination works really well for me. For tanking with the build listed I would put atleast 17 points to obtain +20% crit damage, +5% crit strike, Blinding powder, Serrated Blades, +4% physical damage.

Bard: See original post

That +15% Dex though ... I might have to try that out. Thanks for the great post!
    My last Riftstalker that I leveled before the end of Beta was sub-soul'd into Assassin as well, mostly for the damage bonuses for questing. Its worth noting though that as a tank, your damage mostly exists for purposes of Threat, and from what I've seen so far Threat is pretty easy to build, so those damage bonuses are largely unnecessary. While you could make the argument that increasing your damage causes things to die faster and lessens the burden on the healer, you could also look at it from the perspective that taking less damage allows the healer to do more damage themselves or passively regen more.

Multiple Shards

Quote Originally Posted by Zayrinoke View Post
    On a pull such as that I'd either open with Shadow Assault or Shadow blitz, typically. Shadow Stalk works as well, though the former two are preferably since they supply threat in the same GCD.
    Thanx. I forgot those were Plane Shift abilities as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenison_Grey View Post
    I honestly was not aware that the Bladedancer crit buff was Overwritten by the Bard Motiff of Focus as I did not test that combo during the beta.

I know that things like Bard endurance stack with Archon Endurance but not with Cleric Endurance. I had assumed that because they have varying timers the temporary buffs would stack.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast