+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Assasinate vs. Backstab and other Assasin Questions

Soulwalker

Default Assasinate vs. Backstab and other Assasin Questions

Heya,

I am thinking about playing an Assassin and thought about mixing it with Ranger for leveling purposes.
    First I thought like taking Assassin together with Bladedancer for the 2 combo generating abilities, but when I discovered the Ranger and the "free" pet as third class and theorycrafted around it, I could completely skip the Blademaster as the points invested into increased crit in the Ranger tree fit the assassination talents perfectly (about 10% base crit, 5% assasin Crit Talent, 5% Ranger Crit talent, 10% increased crit on savage strike, if I should take this one)

In addition I realized that RIFT does not seem to have any openers as in WoW. Meaning no talents actually need stealth, the only exceptions here are the sapping abilities as the enemy will be in combat otherwise and the attacks which require the enemy facing the opposite direction (Assassination/Backstab).

So in theory I could let the pet tank the mob and just spam assassination, which is unlocked at lvl 4 already. Can anyone say if this works in the "real game"?

In addition I am wondering about the Backstab skill, as I do not see any benefit over assassination, it just seems to be the "light version". So is there any reason to chose backstab over assassination? Or is backstab even better than assassination and there is no use for assasination? Can't see too many "situationals" here, besides of "only needing 1 combo point, therefore only spending 30 energy". Especially with the talent subterfuge which seems to greatly improve assassination (3 combo points) and Cloak and Dagger I don't see much potential for backstab.

Any thoughts on that?
    Is the Idea with Ranger BS? If yes - why?
    Last edited by Kordanor; 02-21-2011 at 06:39 PM.

Prophet of Telara StealthStalker's Avatar

Assassinate requires stealth.

Don't forget to support Dual Targeting in SWTOR and Prime Online.
    We didn't get it here, but perhaps we can help make the next games into what they should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Kordanor View Post
    In addition I realized that RIFT does not seem to have any openers as in WoW. Meaning no talents actually need stealth, the only exceptions here are the sapping abilities as the enemy will be in combat otherwise and the attacks which require the enemy facing the opposite direction (Assasination/Backstab).
    Look again at the Assassin tree. There are plenty of stealth openers that can ONLY be done from stealth.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by StealthStalker View Post
    Assassinate requires stealth.
    Oh, it's not in the tooltip though (at least not on http://seelenplaner.telara.net/ and http://rift.zam.com/en/ability/788973466/Assassinate)

Are there any other abilities requiring stealth?

Default How I play mine

I like to start with paralyzing strike(5 sec stun) out of stealth then backstab three times hit final blow try and sneak another BS in.. Then Puncture malicious strike savage strike x2 final blow...if their not dead foul play BS final blow...
    Proud member of <WarriorPoets>

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyMike View Post
    I like to start with paralyzing strike(5 sec stun) out of stealth then backstab three times hit final blow try and sneak another BS in.. Then Puncture malicious strike savage strike x2 final blow...if their not dead foul play BS final blow...
    Well, the Idea with the pet would have been that no stun is needed to get in the back of the opponent.
    Don't you use puncture? Seemed quite powerful when I ran around in beta with it.

Plane Touched

Oh, it's not in the tooltip though (at least not on http://seelenplaner.telara.net/ and http://rift.zam.com/en/ability/788973466/Assassinate)

Are there any other abilities requiring stealth?
    Paralyzing strike, assassinate, jagged strike, incapacitate, elusive, all require stealth to be used.

My best assassinate has been only 800 crit, my jagged strike over its duration does ALOT more then that even without crit. My best backstab crit was 554. All at lv 42 on lv 44 elites/bosses in The Fall of Lantern Hook dungeon.

Plane Touched

Heya,

.. but when I discovered the Ranger and the "free" pet as third class and theorycrafted around it,
    Also, don't forget that if you do not have enough points in ranger to get the greater pet, the first pet quickly becomes useless, as it stops leveling at lv 30.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Takemikadzuchi View Post
    Paralyzing strike, assassinate, jagged strike, incapacitate, elusive, all require stealth to be used.

My best assassinate has been only 800 crit, my jagged strike over its duration does ALOT more then that even without crit. My best backstab crit was 554. All at lv 42 on lv 44 elites/bosses in The Fall of Lantern Hook dungeon.
    I see and I just found a nice quote from Souldew
    Currently with assassinate and backstab, there is a mechanic where, when these abilities are pressed, the rogue swaps his daggers for toothpicks and proceeds to stab with fiery rage doing a mighty 8% dmg to the opponets hp......this usually ends in the rogue fleeing in embarrassment.
    So I guess the balance of these skills is not really awesome. ^^
    With all I read here, Assassins do not seem to be that awesome, though I felt quite powerful with it (didn't player over lvl 11).
    Thanks for the info.

EDIT:
    Also, don't forget that if you do not have enough points in ranger to get the greater pet, the first pet quickly becomes useless, as it stops leveling at lv 30.
    Ah, ok, didn't know that. Though with only 10 points (5 for crit, 5 for pet health) you can choose for a dire wolf.
    Well, This does not need to be an endgame setup at all, so it wouldn't be a problem to swap at some higher level. As long as it gives some profit in the lower levels.
    Last edited by Kordanor; 02-21-2011 at 06:53 PM.

+ Reply to Thread