+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bard Class tips Please

Shadowlander

Default Bard Class tips Please

I'm making a character to play with my GF. She's going to be a DPS/Tank'ish' so I am going to try a Bard (Thanks for the tip Rastamepas)
    What compliments bard well and would work well in this situation?

Thanks for any imput

From a purely PvE standpoint I don't think anything comes close to 51Bard/10NB/5 whatever

51 Bard because if you're going support in PvE there's no point in half-assing it and Bard has a very dedicated play style.

10 NB gives you improvement to Cadence and Coda of Wrath/Fury, a basic stealth with a 20 meter incapacitate, a spammable melee AoE so you have something to do on AoE trash, an instant ranged attack, and a weapon enchant should you ever feel like auto attacking between songs.

The last 5 points depend on if you want dex, ap, crit, or hit.

It's a solid build imo. May not be the most inventive but it's a dedicated support.
    Last edited by Marcato; 02-21-2011 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcato View Post
    From a purely PvE standpoint I don't think anything comes close to 51Bard/10NB/5 whatever

51 Bard because if you're going support in PvE there's no point in half-assing it and Bard has a very dedicated play style.

10 NB gives you improvement to Cadence and Coda of Wrath/Fury, a basic stealth with a 20 meter incapacitate, a spammable melee AoE so you have something to do on AoE trash, an instant ranged attack, and a weapon enchant should you ever feel like auto attacking between songs.

It's a solid build imo. May not be the most inventive but it's a dedicated support.
    Agreed on the 51 bard however I think I am going 51bard/10rng/5riftstalker for increased hp / toughness and a pet gives good survivability and in the beta the build seemed to be working well.

Rift Disciple

If you're unfamiliar with Bards, we actually have a guide explaining some of the Basics, over at Riftbards.com

Guide: The Basics

And if you're familiar with our basic abilities, but still need some guidance for a Support Bard, we have Langston's ultimate Support Bard guide.

The Support Bard Guide

There's also a lot of good information on our forums, so I highly suggest registering and checking it out!
    Last edited by Marduke; 02-21-2011 at 06:49 PM.

Telaran

Only problem with the Ranger build, you need to get quite far into the tree to be able to get a pet that goes above level 30. Prior to 30, ranger build with a bard is great for leveling.

If you just gonna be someone's buff-bot then 51 into bard is fine. However, it's a big waste otherwise. Unlike some other specs, bard abilities do not improve with more points invested in the tree and (in my opinion) anything after 34-36 points is a bit of a waste and you start to invest in very borderline-useless talents. Granted we have not see the 44pt heal ability in action but the 1 minute cooldown makes me apprehensive about its usefulness already.

I know you just asking about PvE but just in case you gonna PvP - from what I experienced in Betas, Bard/RS mix is just amasing in PvP action. Still need more testing in PvE but thus far NB looks like a solid offspec for it. Fire and Death and Unstable State *should* work for all bards abilities, and they definately helps with cadence - the more damage you do the more you heal.

Shadowlander

Even for just a two man party? this seems like it would benifit from a larger party. Also what are you suggestions for the lower levels (1-15).

Soulwalker

I thought I saw some where on these forums that someone had tested out using unstable state with the bard and it didnt increase their damage at all. Since then Ive been looking for the best souls to team up with the bard to give it the optimal back up the tree needs.

Telaran

Does Motif of Regen heal you or just your party/raid?

Shadowlander

Heals everyone in party/raid and you

If your going to duo with a tank/dps, then there are 2 ways of doing it, a frontline healer which can survive just as long in fight and stays up close with the tank.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...z.V.xIx0ha0okk For PVP

Tested a form of this in beta , it offers little in the way of damage, but you will not die easily, once you get the hang of plane shifting you will be doing it every 10-15 seconds in a fight. Riff not taken as ive never needed it , almost always have 5 combo point up anyway .Shadow stalk also works on friendly targets, something quite handy in a duo.

For Pve something like this perhaps
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...iqskqz.Vhx.xhx

39% more damage on wrath fury, so when heal spike not needed, dropping virtioso and then 14 combos of wrath could be usefull damage

Unstable state does work.

You could also drop nightblade for another melee class to act as debuff/buff bot.
    Last edited by El Diablo; 02-22-2011 at 02:46 AM.

Plane Touched

You want 13 in NB, you want the talent that boosts non physical damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Karpathias View Post
    Does Motif of Regen heal you or just your party/raid?
    All motifs affect your raid

Imo, Bladedancer is better than nightblade. You get 5% to hit chance, which helps a lot more than some damage improvement to our semi-poor DPS. Wasting 100 energy because you missed your cadence 2 times in a row really sucks, as well as missing the healing coda when you really need it.

For the other soul, typical choice is Rifstlaker, for the added survability. Or you can just pick Nightbale along with Bladedancer and get the best of both souls
    Last edited by Erhnam; 02-22-2011 at 02:48 AM.

Shadowlander

Are you trying to hit things above your level? If so more hit chance is ok, never had an issue with it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Marduke View Post
    If you're unfamiliar with Bards, we actually have a guide explaining some of the Basics, over at Riftbards.com

Guide: The Basics

And if you're familiar with our basic abilities, but still need some guidance for a Support Bard, we have Langston's ultimate Support Bard guide.

The Support Bard Guide

There's also a lot of good information on our forums, so I highly suggest registering and checking it out!
    Thanks a lot for this, and thanks to the others on soul suggestions to put with bard. I came to this forum looking for just this.

Last beta I finally decided to level a rogue, and found bard to be a lot of fun in a grouped pve setting.
    LFD Tool: Just give us the option to use the LFD tool cross or same realm.
    I would gladly sit in queue longer if it meant I could group with players from my realm.

Shadowlander

Oh yeah sorry guys, should have specified this is strictly PvE.

+ Reply to Thread