+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I was wanting to play a marksman but...

Soulwalker

Default I was wanting to play a marksman but...

After playing a marksman, ranger, assassin, saboteur, riftstalker, and bard combo's, the marksman comes out on the bottom of the pile as far as playability. Pvp or pve the class does not make the cut. The one thing it had was burst damage to kill off anything before it charged into close quarters. At beginning levels it does not seem so evident, but as you begin to gain levels, the damage is not there as it was before last patch. Cutting into the burst damage should have prompted Trion to add more types of CC into the line but you have to pair off with ranger or saboteur to get any sort of true CC other than the lone root shot. Compared to other classes and rogue spec lines, I just don't see the marksman as competing int the world of Rift.

Telaran

2 points you seem to ignore:

1) This is an MMO. When grouped with other players, staying at range and using your high damage abilities is a lot easier. Coordinate with your team when PVPing, and well, know your role during group PVE.

2) You can combine souls. Sure, Marksman is indeed lacking in CC, so just dip into a soul that adds more when soloing. Problem solved.

To say the Marksman doesn't stack up because it does one thing extremely well at the cost of other things is just silly, to be honest.

I didn't have any problems with marksman, its a run'n'gun class. I had a great time with this one. In-fact it will be the only soul I focus on, ranger/sab as secondaries.
    Marksman/Ranger/Sab ftw

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Philo View Post
    After playing a marksman, ranger, assassin, saboteur, riftstalker, and bard combo's, the marksman comes out on the bottom of the pile as far as playability. Pvp or pve the class does not make the cut. The one thing it had was burst damage to kill off anything before it charged into close quarters. At beginning levels it does not seem so evident, but as you begin to gain levels, the damage is not there as it was before last patch. Cutting into the burst damage should have prompted Trion to add more types of CC into the line but you have to pair off with ranger or saboteur to get any sort of true CC other than the lone root shot. Compared to other classes and rogue spec lines, I just don't see the marksman as competing int the world of Rift.
    I think that once void and riftblades get the nerf thats underway in the next alphas it will reshuffle DPS once again and I can't predict how the chips will fall. Compared to VK and Rifts our PVP seemed a bit lackluster.. but those two souls are a bit insane.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    I think that once void and riftblades get the nerf thats underway in the next alphas it will reshuffle DPS once again and I can't predict how the chips will fall. Compared to VK and Rifts our PVP seemed a bit lackluster.. but those two souls are a bit insane.
    I hope you are right on this one. I am still going to roll a rogue. I still want to keep marksman on the table if possible. Thank god for souls resets!

In pvp all I did was run around bringing pain to everyone I aimed at. You don't need a ton of CC to play marksman, you have speed, can remove roots/snares, knockbacks, and strafe is just....oh wow...so much awesome and quick reload (which you get at 32) was so helpful

not that I care what anyone thinks...but I got to 38 and did a straight marksman build and it was just so much fun
    Last edited by Carimm; 02-21-2011 at 03:53 PM.
    Marksman/Ranger/Sab ftw

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Carimm View Post
    In pvp all I did was run around bringing pain to everyone I aimed at. You don't need a ton of CC to play marksman, you have speed, can remove roots/snares, knockbacks, and strafe is just....oh wow...so much awesome and quick reload (which you get at 32) was so helpful

not that I care what anyone thinks...but I got to 38 and did a straight marksman build and it was just so much fun
    I had a pretty deep MM/assn 2nd build I was only 35. MM is extremely fun. Once again alpha notes. If that change to dot mechanics removes strafe the way it works now then we lose yet another burst mechanic.

Hit n Run and bullseye+strafe and quick reload was our burst period. The rest of our dps would get erased in splash heals and so was nothing.

So its possible strafe will no longer work like it did in beta 7.
    "* Over-time effects (HoTs, DoTs) will recalculate their outcome for each tick (hit, crit, block, etc)."
    Alpha notes 2/17/11

I don't know yet though.

Beta 7 my favorite thing was to stealth above a flag on rocks somewhere in Codex and then as someone was about to cap. Bullseye+strafe right out of stealth. Wasnt enough to kill anyone but was a great opener from stealth.
    Last edited by Beans; 02-21-2011 at 04:13 PM.

Soulwalker

I did not get too deep with my MM/Ranger/sab build, was level 19. However I easily solo'd, and easily ranked 1 in nearly all rift and invasion scenarios. I did well enough that I bought all the best planarite items and became even more beastlike for my level. I had a great time playing my MM and when retail is ready and I hop in headstart this Thursday, I will for sure be rolling a primary MM.

Given the subjectiveness of what I just said, I did want to mention that I was able to solo elites at my level as well as routinely critted 500-550 with deadeye given my gear and attention to maxing dexterity at all times. Soloing was a piece of cake given the 4 different roots/stuns/slow etc that I had. The DPS aspect of MM and the CC aspects of ranger+sab allow you to PvE as well as PvP with impunity. Keep in mind that as you increase in level, your role as a ranged class will become more evident.
    Last edited by mdcpike; 02-21-2011 at 04:20 PM. Reason: spelling

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by mdcpike View Post
    I did not get too deep with my MM/Ranger/sab build, was level 19. However I easily solo'd, and easily ranked 1 in nearly all rift and invasion scenarios. I did well enough that I bought all the best planarite items and became even more beastlike for my level. I had a great time playing my MM and when retail is ready and I hop in headstart this Thursday, I will for sure be rolling a primary MM.

Given the subjectiveness of what I just said, I did want to mention that I was able to solo elites at my level as well as routinely critted 500-550 with deadeye given my gear and attention to maxing dexterity at all times. Soloing was a piece of cake given the 4 different roots/stuns/slow etc that I had. The DPS aspect of MM and the CC aspects of ranger+sab allow you to PvE as well as PvP with impunity. Keep in mind that as you increase in level, your role as a ranged class will become more evident.
    In group pvp/warfronts in 30-39 it takes a lot more than a single deadeye shot to lay down hurt in pvp. You rely more on strafe (which might be nerfed to nothing according to crit dynamics changing)

Without hit n run up or strafe there is no damage.
    @30-39 healing is insane.
    Discharge and flamespears are insane.

One deadeye is laughable damage.. you need many in succession on a flimsy target to be noticed as burst.

MM damage (other than getting strafe which is awesome) doesnt scale that much as far as simply deadeye shot. It's generally meh. Unless you can get a couple in sequence from a hit n run.

I was an outfitter/runecrafter and all my peices were enchanted the best they could be at all times which adds a considerable amount of stats. I also had mostly blues lvl 33+ at lvl 35 fully enchanted--My deadeye shots were puny and didnt increase much as I lvled.
    Last edited by Beans; 02-21-2011 at 04:43 PM.

Soulwalker

MARKSMAN
    * Swift Shot: Damage reduced.
    * Empowered Shot: Damage reduced.
    * Deadeye Shot: Damage reduced.
    * Strafe: Damage reduced.
    * Hasted Shot: Damage reduced.
    * Marksman’s Pedestal: Damage bonus has been increased from 5% to 10%.
    * Sniper’s Pedestal: Damage bonus has been increased from 25% to 30%.

Well there it is.... /discuss

PS I forgot the subspec nerf as well:

ASSASSIN

* Serrated Blades: Causes the target to bleed for 33-100% of your weapon’s damage over 6 seconds, down from 60-180%. Now only triggers from melee weapon critical attacks. It no longer triggers from ranged weapon critical attacks or attacks that require ‘Any Weapon’ and are not considered melee weapon attacks [Bard damage abilities, Saboteur Charges, Bombs, etc.]. Nightblade ranged attacks are considered melee weapon attacks and can trigger Serrated Blades.
    Last edited by Philo; 02-22-2011 at 07:15 PM.

+ Reply to Thread