+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Melee rogue + Pet. Logical?

Shadowlander

Default Melee rogue + Pet. Logical?

At launch I really want to play Rogue, but putting major points into offensive Rogue tree's seems to be much less effective for grinding / questing than doing a build like RS/Bard. Assassin/NB trees are very squishy early on.

General idea, what if you tried a spec where you put 5 points into ranger immediately, for the 5% crit and pet.

Then jump to bard, putting 8 points in, for the AP / Crit Motiffs and Vigor bonus for you and your pet. And also having the Cadence healing for you and your pet if you end up getting adds, or just need a save. So level 10 would look like this; http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...ocoVz.0VMcxcbm

After 10, dump everything into Assassin tree. At level 20, something like this; http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...ocoVz.0VMcxcbm

I know this is early on, and it doesn't matter too much, but I want to play this playstyle, but also don't want to have a much rougher time through the leveling process and get too frustrated.

Any input is appreciated.

Xri
    Soulwalker

Already had a 42 rogue, but wanted to test out some leveling strategies for when headstart begins.

Started up a new rogue with a Sin main, Ranger off.

By lvl 11, my build was - 0/10/4 - RS/Sin/Ran

Interesting thing for this build at this point is that you have +19% crit chance on Savage Strike which just drops mobs really fast, expose weakness automatically sends your pet into charge if its on defensive, and you have a decent heal through Rejuv to keep up your boar from the 4pnts in Ranger.

Rift 3rd is just preference since I love blink D:

Would switch to 0/25/8 - RS/Sin/NB at around 25 for Backstab stun shenanigans.

The boar is a great pet to level with. It holds aggro very well and thus makes sure you hardly have any downtime. I'd say it's viable even with a melee rogue.

Shadowlander

Hmm I like that, and your point for removing ranger later is that stun / bs and by that time you are doing enough damage, and have enough CD's that you don't really need the pet?

Quote Originally Posted by Impacted1 View Post
    Hmm I like that, and your point for removing ranger later is that stun / bs and by that time you are doing enough damage, and have enough CD's that you don't really need the pet?
    That's pretty much it. Also, around level 30 it starts dying pretty fast so might as well replace him.

Shadowlander

Since you took RB for the blink (which I love too) would it make sense to dump 13 points into RS for the 15% crit after planar shifting? Or does the blink not count for that? You would also gain 15% AP Bonus and 15% endurance.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0MpMi..MVRfxoboz.V0h like this.
    Last edited by Impacted1; 02-21-2011 at 02:25 PM.

Soulwalker

I did things a little different though i like the idea of grabbing the bard essentials then going with pet dps class. I think I may do that myself. I lvled bard initially to 20 then switched to sin.

By that time i was so lulled by the bards dps that the sin at 20 with leaching poison was able to down mobs so fast and leached enough back it was viable in all situations.

I def recommend switching from bard to sin at 20.

I havent tested out anything else, but I think i may stick with bard through the beginning lvls just for pvp reasons. I find myself very hard to kill as a bard in pvp and u certainly help your team out with the aoe heals. That and rifts are losing the flame spear dot im not sure what can kill me now.

As an old (meaning not playing it for quite a long time now) WoW Rogue I would like to chime in with the following observations (bearing in mind that I tried the Beta for the last couple of days only):

Assassin and Bladedancer seem a lot similar to Assassin and Combat spec for WoW Rogues at least in playing styles.

That said I can safely tell you that Combat spec has always been easier for lvl-ing up and questing. Add a Board pet and things get even easier ;).
    Last edited by Vanio; 02-21-2011 at 02:33 PM. Reason: damn profanity filters

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Vanio View Post
    As an old (meaning not playing it for quite a long time now) WoW Rogue I would like to chime in with the following observations (bearing in mind that I tried the Beta for the last couple of days only):

Assassin and Bladedancer seem a lot similar to Assassin and Combat spec for WoW Rogues at least in playing styles.

That said I can safely tell you that Combat spec has always been easier for lvl-ing up and questing. Add a Board pet and things get even easier ;).
    Yea ur only really issue is survivability. With the bard points taken u get the healing to not only u but ur pet. I have been reading other threads where people are putting points in other areas to generate more dps with cadence by large percents. Might be worth going strong into bard and taking the dps out of other trees and just taking the boar for the first couple lvls u can always replace that tree if u dont put points in it without respeccing.

Soulwalker

I only had two of the last beta events to play around with a char, but I found I really liked the ranger/bladedancer combo. It gives you the leveling advantage of having a pet, along with the "Plan B" option of getting the Ginzu out on mobs that get too close. At level 24, I had 24 points into the ranger to get the better pet, 8 or 9 points in bladedancer, and whatever was left in a nightblade. I was tearing through the quests, able to breeze through single mobs, and not breaking a real sweat if I got an add.

I think after launch I will start with a ranger/bladedancer/riftstalker (emphasis on ranger) for soloing and survivability, and get a second role substituting the riftstalker for an assassin. Role #1 will be my solo role with role #2 being my group/raid role. Being able to solo is important to me, as that is how I prefer to spend most of my time. Don't get me wrong, I like to group...I just don't want to have to depend on getting a group to play. Spent waaaaay to much time in that situation in EQ.

So...what do you all think? Am I missing something in these combos?

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by CaliVyxen View Post
    I only had two of the last beta events to play around with a char, but I found I really liked the ranger/bladedancer combo. It gives you the leveling advantage of having a pet, along with the "Plan B" option of getting the Ginzu out on mobs that get too close. At level 24, I had 24 points into the ranger to get the better pet, 8 or 9 points in bladedancer, and whatever was left in a nightblade. I was tearing through the quests, able to breeze through single mobs, and not breaking a real sweat if I got an add.

I think after launch I will start with a ranger/bladedancer/riftstalker (emphasis on ranger) for soloing and survivability, and get a second role substituting the riftstalker for an assassin. Role #1 will be my solo role with role #2 being my group/raid role. Being able to solo is important to me, as that is how I prefer to spend most of my time. Don't get me wrong, I like to group...I just don't want to have to depend on getting a group to play. Spent waaaaay to much time in that situation in EQ.

So...what do you all think? Am I missing something in these combos?
    Nah man that sounds good. Seems like you have your playstyle figured out. That's what people are lacking on the boards to this point. No one knows what balance looks like at 50 ur focusing on getting to 50.

That should be everyone's main focus at this point anyway since the game isn't launched yet. They can all start debating nerfs at 50.

Shadowlander

Ranger is a pretty easy spec, but you're focusing ranged dps. I made this topic to discuss melee dps, the range gives you automatic survivability. Playing a melee rogue at lower levels you'll notice how hard it can be without defensive abilities / CD's, that was the point of the Ranger pet. I'm going to try to run without bard because of the pet, and the pet heal. He should take most of the damage, then when the pet starts to get owned quickly I will respec and focus CC's / stuns in Assassin tree.

An easy melee rogue spec will always be RS/Bard, but I'm trying to focus more on dps and be a bit more roguey. It seriously feels like you're playing a tank when you spec rs/bard lol

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Impacted1 View Post
    Ranger is a pretty easy spec, but you're focusing ranged dps. I made this topic to discuss melee dps, the range gives you automatic survivability. Playing a melee rogue at lower levels you'll notice how hard it can be without defensive abilities / CD's, that was the point of the Ranger pet. I'm going to try to run without bard because of the pet, and the pet heal. He should take most of the damage, then when the pet starts to get owned quickly I will respec and focus CC's / stuns in Assassin tree.

An easy melee rogue spec will always be RS/Bard, but I'm trying to focus more on dps and be a bit more roguey. It seriously feels like you're playing a tank when you spec rs/bard lol
    Yea it does but its hard to give up that survivability early on. If ur talking about speed when questing the ultimate slow down is death. I got lucky and switched right at 20 having no idea thats when assassin gets leach poison. It was much faster downing mobs on the assassin then the bard I honestly might try switching sooner if I have a pet to knock around.

+ Reply to Thread