+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MM/Ranger/??

Soulwalker

Question MM/Ranger/??

Hello,

Trying to find the best compliment to the Ranger/MM i tried Nightblade and loved it... (only PVE so far)

Anyone have an opinion on what works best...

Thanks!

Soulwalker

I like sab for the 0 point adhesive bomb. A little added survivability and very useful in pvp. I could see the bard soul being nice for the bravery motif, if especially if you are grouped.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Lorn View Post
    I like sab for the 0 point adhesive bomb. A little added survivability and very useful in pvp. I could see the bard soul being nice for the bravery motif, if especially if you are grouped.
    I went MM/Ranger/Bard and liked it a lot. At level 21 I was something like 8 bard, 0 ranger, and 18 MM. For PvE solo questing/leveling the pet was great at holding aggro. And for PvP the 8 points in bard got me a group heal added to my cadence (which is a fast way to build combo points when your target closes range).

I also tried a MM/Sabo combo which was...interesting. My thought on the MM/Sabo combo was that I would use the long range MM attacks at range, then as the mob closed, slow it with Adhesive Bomb and then switch to the sabo attacks to finish off the target. Problem I had with the build was that I just couldn't keep the mobs off me that well (granted I didn't play the toon past level 10 and didn't take ranger).

I think the MM/Sabo could be paired nicely with Ranger at lower levels and a huge advantage of taking Sabo with a MM/Ranger build IMO would be the +15% Dex gained by spending 5 points in Nimble Fingers (tier 1 talent). If you plan on going mostly MM, 5 points into Sabo gets you +15% Dex and Adhesive Bomb, which would be useful for PvP or kiting mobs.
    Last edited by Godzillamax; 02-21-2011 at 02:59 PM.

Soulwalker

Not criticising the MM/ranger combo, but I am really having a hard time not thinking it is a bit redundant. Why have 2 ranged classes if you can combine a ranged/melee/defensive role? Too much "jack of all trades, master of none?" I only had the chance to play the last two betas, and I am really trying to figure out what classes synergize well. I played a ranger(24)/BD(9)/NB to level 24 and had a blast. Granted, I am a DPS **ore and played a ranger in EQ for 6 years. That being said, I like to be able to solo, something I didn't get in end-game EQ.

Thoughts?

Soulwalker

They get buffs to damage of "ranged weapons" which compliment each skill. You don't have to worry about half of your skill being ineffective when you are at range. Why pick up tanking skills/talents if your pet tanks mostly? Why pick melee skills or boosts to melee damage if you are going to be ranged mostly.

With the ranger you get a pet so you shouldn't be getting hit. Even if you get an add or two, you shouldn't make your build centered around "if I get an add."

With that said, for soloing it might be an option, but for raiding/grouping you don't want tank/melee skills when you are trying to focus on ranged. In the beginning there might be some overlap with the skills in MM/Ranger but in the end you are getting a big boost to ranged damage from MM and a boost to ranged damage and pet from Ranger. Along with some different skills in each.... they really compliment each other if you are wanting to be a ranged rogue fighter.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by CaliVyxen View Post
    Not criticising the MM/ranger combo, but I am really having a hard time not thinking it is a bit redundant. Why have 2 ranged classes if you can combine a ranged/melee/defensive role? Too much "jack of all trades, master of none?" I only had the chance to play the last two betas, and I am really trying to figure out what classes synergize well. I played a ranger(24)/BD(9)/NB to level 24 and had a blast. Granted, I am a DPS **ore and played a ranger in EQ for 6 years. That being said, I like to be able to solo, something I didn't get in end-game EQ.

Thoughts?
    I am probably not the best person to respond, since I only played the last two betas and never took a toon beyond level 24, but here is my two cents from my experiences:

Because taking the ranger soul gets you a tanking pet that holds aggro like a champ up to level 30 without having to spend any points in that soul. You also get Head Shot which is a decent instant attack ranged finisher if you can't fire off a Deadeye because you need to be on the move or your Hit & Run is on its 2-minute cooldown. For PvP, 6 points into the Ranger soul nets you +5% Crit Hit Chance and Crippling Shot.

Also, I don't see any much of an advantage in combining a ranged/melee/defensive shard. From my limited experience (and I stress limited), it seems that you benefit most by plowing the lions share of your points into a primary soul (i.e. specialization), while putting 10-20 points into a secondary soul that compliments your main soul, and lastly your third soul is just kinda fluff of maybe nets you some passive bonuses with 5-8 points spent in it.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by CaliVyxen View Post

Thoughts?
    I always took ranger for crippling shot because its a great snare. Headshot is a waste because Rapidfire shot does the same damage is instant and give you a 30% speed buff to autoattacks..or hasted shot gives you a +run buff for similiar damage.
    So yeah the only actives from ranger I was using were a feral instinct buff and crippling shot. No pet. It was 6 full points to get to the snare but thats with +5%crit and feral instincts.
    Thats the PVP synergy I was using.

In pve solo it was greater razorpig all the way. Damage and burst still comes from MM though. The MM attacks replace the ranger ones. From ranger you get a tank and a snare, some instincts and some passives which MM doesnt have. From MM you get damage.

In pve group I was better off speccing deep into MM for the burst damage and quick reload on boss fights. Passives from Assn. No 5 points in the +meter to ranged in pve.

MM really requires a snare. I know the sab one is free but I don't like it as much. I would have spent 15 points for crippling shot but its only at 6. Thats how much I liked it.
    Last edited by Beans; 02-21-2011 at 03:55 PM.

i played a ranger/mm/blade dancer to 41.
    there are alot of nice skills in mm that come in handy.
    a combo of the 2 classes ranged shots in a max dps 5 4 order work well.
    the shot that punts the add back to the tank and off the healer is nice also.
    the rain of arrows is real good for trash and the aoe pin works very limited though.
    i also did ranger/rift/blade dancer and it worked ok but wasn't a flexible as the ranger/mm for sure.

Soulwalker

Default I played MM/Ranger/Riftstalker for PVP very good spec IMO

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...khhdR.VGo.VcxM

I plan on going with this spec
    40 points for retreat
    15 points for shadow stalk combine this with getaway 2 stun stoppers ftw
    Played to 30 in the last beta and pvped from 20 to 30 most fun ive had in awhile.
    macroed crippling shot and barded shot FTW they just run and run and die so funny

+ Reply to Thread