+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Riftstalker Tank Builds

Default Riftstalker Tank Builds

Playing with various builds for a PVE Riftstalker Tank this is the one I'm leaning towards.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M....EItIuqdRkkR.t

Love to see what people think. I've seen a lot of Riftstalker/Nightblade combos but Bard and Bladedancer seemed to gel more with Tanking in the low branches of the tree.
    Last edited by mkultra55; 02-21-2011 at 01:16 PM.

Soulwalker

That looks to be the same build I am planning on using. I like having the ranged pull, +armor, +health/+endurance and the +3% miss talents, I think they are a nice set of bonuses to the tank overall.

Soulwalker

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...okkR.E0bVh000M

I didn't really see the point in taking the damage abilities in the Riftstalker tree since you're a tank, not a DPSer, so I put those extra points into the mitigation talents in the Bladedancer tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkfox View Post
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...okkR.E0bVh000M

I didn't really see the point in taking the damage abilities in the Riftstalker tree since you're a tank, not a DPSer, so I put those extra points into the mitigation talents in the Bladedancer tree.

You maximaze the Riftstalker tree for the point-based bonus's provided by Improved Rift Guard and Improved Guardian Phase, which outweigh pretty much anything you could find in the other trees from a mitigation and health standpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Zayrinoke View Post
    You maximaze the Riftstalker tree for the point-based bonus's provided by Improved Rift Guard and Improved Guardian Phase, which outweigh pretty much anything you could find in the other trees from a mitigation and health standpoint.
    Not to mention that you want at least 44 points in Riftstalker for the AOE taunt.

For reference here's the build I'm planning to roll with on my Riftstalker on live servers:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...uqdRkkR.xb.x0d

I have a feeling most of my wipes in dungeons will be a result of falling through the world, not me dying. Here's hoping they fix that bug for release.

For reference here's the build I'm planning to roll with on my Riftstalker on live servers:

I have a feeling most of my wipes in dungeons will be a result of falling through the world, not me dying. Here's hoping they fix that bug for release.
    I'd go 9 Bard / 6 BD instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinerus View Post
    I'd go 9 Bard / 6 BD instead.
    I'm torn between that and sticking with 8 in Bladedancer for the False Blade finisher, which would give me another 5% dodge with a 1 minute duration. Strike Back has some good synergy with tanking as well, and Reprisal would be just about the only non-gcd attack available to us which makes it somewhat appealing to me. Not to mention I play with my girlfriend who is rolling a bard so picking up the anthems is kinda pointless for me.

I'm torn between that and sticking with 8 in Bladedancer for the False Blade finisher, which would give me another 5% dodge with a 1 minute duration. Strike Back has some good synergy with tanking as well, and Reprisal would be just about the only non-gcd attack available to us which makes it somewhat appealing to me. Not to mention I play with my girlfriend who is rolling a bard so picking up the anthems is kinda pointless for me.
    Strike Back is utterly useless in my opinion. Autoattacks in Rift suck, not to mention when yours are gimped from Guardian Phase.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinerus View Post
    Strike Back is utterly useless in my opinion. Autoattacks in Rift suck, not to mention when yours are gimped from Guardian Phase.
    Fair point. I do still like the False Blade finisher though, might just move those two points to the hit chance.

Soulwalker

My sincerest apologies for being "one of those people" who are looking at this game from a World of Warcraft standpoint but isn't dodging/parrying an attack entirely much more preferable to standing there while a dragon stomps on you, even if most of the damage is absorbed by a damage shield (which is then gone until you re-raise it)?

And Planar Attraction has a large cool down, only affects 5 targets (which you can't choose) and lasts for only 3 seconds, building no threat on its own during that time. Whereas Rift Disturbance, cast every time it's up until only one or two mobs remain, should be more than enough to hold all mobs' attention on you.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkfox View Post
    My sincerest apologies for being "one of those people" who are looking at this game from a World of Warcraft standpoint but isn't dodging/parrying an attack entirely much more preferable to standing there while a dragon stomps on you, even if most of the damage is absorbed by a damage shield (which is then gone until you re-raise it)?

And Planar Attraction has a large cool down, only affects 5 targets (which you can't choose) and lasts for only 3 seconds, building no threat on its own during that time. Whereas Rift Disturbance, cast every time it's up until only one or two mobs remain, should be more than enough to hold all mobs' attention on you.
    Well, lets look at this from a pure numbers standpoint. With the build you suggested, we'd be gaining in defensive stats (compared to the build I posted, for example):
    6% Parry
    15% Dexterity (Which translates into a 15% increase in the dodge gained from dexterity, which is a rather small number, but not to be ignored.)
    Combat Culmination, which, on a boss fight, is non-existant. And since Boss's are where the survivability matters, it can be disregarded.
    1% additional chance to be missed/not crit.

Lets compare this to the benifits of placing and additional 12 points into the Riftstalker tree:
    6% increased damage reduction from Rift Guard
    60% larger cap on Rift Guard (usually disregardable)
    12% Endurance
    2 Tank cooldowns in Defer Death and Scatter the Shadows.

To simplify, it comes down to 12% Endurance + 6% Damage Reduction and two good cooldowns, vs. 6% parry, 1% miss and the small amount of dodge form the extra dexterity.

To me, that seems to lean heavily in favor of the Riftstalker tree.

Edit: Also, I see no reason for you to apologize, its a valid question and the answer is obviously debatable. Also, you can always play how you like. This game is shaping up to be very friendly to non-min-maxed builds, which I'm all for.
    Last edited by Zayrinoke; 02-21-2011 at 03:26 PM.

Soulwalker

Well, lets look at this from a pure numbers standpoint. With the build you suggested, we'd be gaining in defensive stats (compared to the build I posted, for example):
    6% Parry
    15% Dexterity (Which translates into a 15% increase in the dodge gained from dexterity, which is a rather small number, but not to be ignored.)
    Combat Culmination, which, on a boss fight, is non-existant. And since Boss's are where the survivability matters, it can be disregarded.
    1% additional chance to be missed/not crit.

Lets compare this to the benifits of placing and additional 12 points into the Riftstalker tree:
    6% increased damage reduction from Rift Guard
    60% larger cap on Rift Guard (usually disregardable)
    12% Endurance
    2 Tank cooldowns in Defer Death and Scatter the Shadows.

To simplify, it comes down to 12% Endurance + 6% Damage Reduction and two good cooldowns, vs. 6% parry, 1% miss and the small amount of dodge form the extra dexterity.

To me, that seems to lean heavily in favor of the Riftstalker tree.

Edit: Also, I see no reason for you to apologize, its a valid question and the answer is obviously debatable. Also, you can always play how you like. This game is shaping up to be very friendly to non-min-maxed builds, which I'm all for.
    Ahh my old arch-enemies Math and Numbers, we meet again. Thank you very much for the added input, I guess I just have a personal aversion to putting points into DPS skills I will never use even if they do allow me access to other tanking abilities while improving those I've already taken. Also please ignore the extra points I put into bard, I only did that for soloing/leveling purposes, and maybe the distant hope that the added minimal healing might help the group healer in a tight spot.

Here's hoping y'all are right about the damage shields being as good as is necessary.

I think I'd still take Anthem of Glory and get the extra point in Street Smarts over taking 2 in Strike Back. I guess the toss up for me is reprisal vs 1% more Hit which will be determined by end game gear.

Quote Originally Posted by mkultra55 View Post
    I think I'd still take Anthem of Glory and get the extra point in Street Smarts over taking 2 in Strike Back. I guess the toss up for me is reprisal vs 1% more Hit which will be determined by end game gear.
    I mostly want the 8 in Bladedancer for the 5% Dodge finisher, or else I'd agree and have 8 in Bard. I'm not too hung up on Anthem of Glory since I play with a bard companion constantly and can easily get that buff elsewhere.

+ Reply to Thread