+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Marksman & Nightblade, Questions regarding PvE, difference and PvP

Soulwalker

Default Marksman & Nightblade, Questions regarding PvE, difference and PvP

Greetings everyone,

I had already decided to roll a Marksman and played one a little before looking up the Nightblade, unfortunately I didn't have much time to play one to understand the class mechanics

What I want to know is, and I understand this is a question of opinion as well. Is a Nightblade ranged? If PvE dps was in question would the Nightblade be viable over say a Ranger / Marksman / Assassin? PvP was and utility how do both compare? Regarding the Marksman I was suggested an Assassin / Marksman / Ranger, but should I consider the nightblade?

And finally, if you were a 50 Marksman and a 50 Nightblade how would your class pairings look like (barring infiltrator of course)?

Sorry for the multitude of questions, but with 3 days to go I wanted to be sure that I understood the exact differences, strengths and weaknesses of both classes.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Murasame View Post
    Greetings everyone,

I had already decided to roll a Marksman and played one a little before looking up the Nightblade, unfortunately I didn't have much time to play one to understand the class mechanics

What I want to know is, and I understand this is a question of opinion as well. Is a Nightblade ranged? If PvE dps was in question would the Nightblade be viable over say a Ranger / Marksman / Assassin? PvP was and utility how do both compare? Regarding the Marksman I was suggested an Assassin / Marksman / Ranger, but should I consider the nightblade?

And finally, if you were a 50 Marksman and a 50 Nightblade how would your class pairings look like (barring infiltrator of course)?

Sorry for the multitude of questions, but with 3 days to go I wanted to be sure that I understood the exact differences, strengths and weaknesses of both classes.
    You understand that you will have access to all rogue souls always right?

My suggestion would be to pick a strong PVE solo lvling build then at around lvl 30-35 play around with specs like mad because at that point you will have enough points to get the general idea of 3 soul combos.

A great thing about MM/Ranger/Third (not important at low lvls build).. is that for me my pvp spec and my PVE spec were one in the same and that worked great until lvl 30.

The best idea is to see for yourself and try different combo's ; unfortunely you need lvls and enough points available in the soul trees to really test anything out. I think 30+ was the ideal time to find out.

Edit : Obviously 50 is ideal but we get impatient and want to test stuff earlier--judging builds pre-30 has problems though.
    There are reasons lvl30+ is the magic number to test builds.

1. 30-39 warfronts change dramatically from the lower ones.
    2. You have access to souls top tier abilities to test.
    3. You have enough points to also spread out to three souls.
    4. You will have enough gold by then that buying 4 roles and respeccing is cheap.

It far better to come up with the build you like and swap them out in different circumstances.
    4 roles 8 souls is the OP class imo.
    Last edited by Beans; 02-21-2011 at 01:23 PM.

Rift Disciple

True I understand that I will be able to access all 8 souls, but I really want to know the differences between them apart from Nightblade being some magic dmg + hurling daggers VS Bows / Guns and physical damage.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Madara View Post
    True I understand that I will be able to access all 8 souls, but I really want to know the differences between them apart from Nightblade being some magic dmg + hurling daggers VS Bows / Guns and physical damage.
    If you MM/ranger/Nightblade your DPS will be MM with a bow/gun
    If you MM/ranger/Assn your DPS will be MM with a bow/gun

MM will dominate what your active attacks will be. It will be the core of your actives; you will get cc and a few tricks from other souls and passives and whatnot.. but your burst/dps w/e is from MM. As such its going to take the majority of points in any build that has MM. MM has great support from other souls ; but it won't support other souls. The synergy isn't a two way street.

Assn has permanent stealth (and better stealth) and thats its major selling point in a ranged rogue build; 2nd to that is the cc (two stuns and a blind) and last and least the poisons add some fluff. Theres also plenty of other stuff MM gets to add to ranged attacks from Assn too...
    Assn is very complimentary to a ranged rogue.

Nightblade has what could be considered the two best passives for rogue souls period. +15% combos and +15% finishers. Those two passives work good for any rogue build that can be imagined.
    It also has a ranged snare. Snares are really important. The ranger crippling shot is lready excellent ; but as MM you kite and having two options for snares isnt bad.
    Last edited by Beans; 02-21-2011 at 03:35 PM.

Rift Disciple

Well I'm still a tad confused about each classes role. I know I can switch easily later on in the game, however are Nightblades ranged? or a mix of both? I just need someone to "What are nightblades for dummies" me as the official page doesn't help much.

Rift Disciple

Nightblades are by far most effective in melee range but they do have some ranged attacks that arent bad. The best is the ranged snare. The 2 ranged builders arent that great and do not do good dps. Blazing Strike (melee) can be modified with soul points and does the best finish damage but the ranged finisher (1soul pt) isnt far behind. The problem is the ranged attacks leading to the finisher are weak. Its best to open in stealth>dark malady(ranged 20%dmg buff)>then 3 ranged builders if you are running in or dusk strike if melee range (2cp pts) its is weak from far but can kite a bit with the snare. Heat retention is maybe the best rogue skill for finishers along with the 15% to builders and finishers make it do very good melee dmg. Its also a very good 2nd-3rd soul for 10-14pts. 14pts gets you the 15% dmg, ranged snare and ranged finisher plus a weapon enchanment, AoE, Dark Malody (ranged opener), ranged 45sec incapacitate, Stealth etc.

Overall they are a mix of both ranged/melee but specialize in melee and make good off spec for DPS builds and can hold there own as full spec.
    Last edited by Sixfeetdeep; 02-21-2011 at 11:36 PM.

Rift Disciple

Thank you, that was helpful. I liked the whole dagger throwing part but now that I know they are mostly melee I think I'll stick to Marksman instead.

Would a nightblade compliment a Marksman more than an Assassin?

In PvP: Assassin/Marks/Infil or Rang/Marks/Infil or Nightblade/Marks/Infil ?
    In PvE: Assassin/Marks/Rng or Night/Marks/Rang or Night/Marsk/Assassin?

It's hard to pick between the 15% finishers and the poisons + extra dmg from Assassins.
    Last edited by Madara; 02-21-2011 at 11:46 PM.

Telaran

Thank you, that was helpful. I liked the whole dagger throwing part but now that I know they are mostly melee I think I'll stick to Marksman instead.

It's hard to pick between the 15% finishers and the poisons + extra dmg from Assassins.
    As serrated blades no longer procs from ranged NB may be a better choice than Sin.

Rift Disciple

Yea I read that post, alpha build tho so fingers crossed, but if Serrated blades nerf goes through you think a nightblade will benefit more? Despite the additional crit & poisons?

Rift Disciple

Id say Assassin/Marks/Inf 21/35/10 respectively perma stealth is too good to give up.. And the crit and bleed dmg is nice.. The straffe skill is godly..hit them w/ lightening, pop bullseye, strafe. If by some maircle they live, hit and run w/ a deadeye can take care of that. Then pop reload and keep going.

+ Reply to Thread