+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: TOP TEN TIPS: For the New Assassin

Default THE ASSASSIN: Things every Good Assassin Should Know

HELP! Contribute to your Assassin Community by Assisting in the Formulation of this Compendium Encapsulating Assassins and all their ***** Kickin' Abilities!

I've seen a lot of hate on Assassins lately and unless there are changes for the 'better' coming forth in Live play, there will be even more qq'ing. Most new players just do not properly understand the class, I didn't when I started.

As some of you may already know, this thread started off as a "TOP TEN TIPS" for the Newly Familiarized Assassins, but it quickly grew to something much more.The Thread's new goal is to become a Compendium informing all Assassins, new and experienced, of the common knowledge that makes up our fine class.

This Guide will be a very loose format, players that would like to contribute to the list, simply post your advice in a reply and it will be added to the list. Let's keep things somewhat logical, we don't want tips #29-47 to be roll Saboteur or VK.

These are things you would like to share with the Community to help Benefit Assassins in general.

All Credits go to the Assassin Community, wherever they may be ;)

1: SPAM Elusiveness, anything that helps you getting your opener before being spotted needs to be utilized. ** With all the complaints about stealth, this should be a no-brainer. And please don't complain when a level 39 BM pulls you, the level 30 rogue, out of stealth 15 meters away- he's like your big brother, he'll almost always get the jump on you... Unless he isn't looking ;)

2: Blinding Powder, a 1/1 feat that is invaluable, a long CD? Yes, but quite worth it for those clutch moments when you need stop a healer from ruining all that hard work you just did! Whether used on your current target, or my personal favorite, binding it to an @mouseover macro and thwarting someone just getting into range, without switching your main target.

3: Arch-type Abilities, Assassins have two major approaches towards downing a foe; stabbing from behind(essentially) or DoT applications(arguable a third, a hybrid of the two) But when you are deciding what points you are going to spend your time with, consider this: Are you benefiting from the advanced DoT's? Or would more Direct-Damage from abilities like Assassinate and Backstab fit your play-style better? Make sure you spend your points wisely, getting only the essentials for your intended rotations.

4: Ranged Attacks, Whether you enjoy spamming Fiery Spike, Swift Shot or Quick shot, make sure you have the ability to put a little threat down from a distance..there is nothing worse than someone getting away from you with <10% HP

5: Targeting/Patience, Choose your targets wisely, obviously you can't run into a group of enemies and expect to just blow away one of their DPS or even a healer for that matter. Wait for the group to move and pick off stragglers, we have a lot of utility depending on your choice of secondary and tertiary souls, kill someone falling behind or low on life and then g t f o! Possibly the most important lesson of the Assassin, or Rogue class in any lore; the ability to wait long enough for the opportune moment.

6: Poisons, Always make sure they are up, remember, you lose them when you die, so always refresh them. This goes the same for any buffs you can self-cast, no one likes a noob that can't manage his own few buffs. And every stat point helps!

7: L-O-S, Line of Site is a great concept that, in PVP, developers and terrain editors no doubtfully thought about. There are tons of Rocks and cliffs and objects to run behind if a ranged class is tearing you up. Make sure you use them!!

8: Energy Synergy, Make sure you use your pool wisely. For instance, in fighting a caster, don't just let him kite you while you run after him spamming Savage Strike to 5pt and then mashing Final Blow. Be thinking about what he needs to cast to get rid of you and be sure to save enough energy to pull of the move you need to execute the proper counter.

9: Expose Weakness, Cast this everytime, BEFORE using your opener. Trion has given us the ability to cast it from stealth for a reason, this it the very First thing I cast when perusing an enemy.

10: Malicious Strike, Malicious Strike is invaluable, Use it vigorously!

11: Blinding Powder Macro!, This will allow you to mouseover a target and cast Blinding Powder without losing your original target, I personally bind this to my mousewheel, so I only need to click down the wheel over my target and bam zzz's for 10 seconds.
    Code:
    #show Blinding Powder
    stopcasting
    cast @mouseover Blinding Powder

12: Backstab/Savage Strike Macro, You can still macro backstab and savage strike to the same button and if you are behind the target you will backstab, and otherwise you will use savage strikes. Tested this in PVP and PVE in beta7.
    Code:
    /cast Backstab
    /cast Savage Strike

13: Be Flexible, Adapt your rotations to your opponent. Sometimes paralyzing strike is a better opener than jagged edge. IMO jagged edge is the way to go with warriors and clerics, while caster and other rogues i prefer paralyzing strike-> puncture > final blow or impale (feel it out depending on how hard you are hitting) -> foul play -> malicious strikes etc.

14: Watch Your CD's, You can get away with a lot more if slip away is up and you can use it to get yourself out of trouble. play more conservatively if its on CD... when building your own lovely unique class consider what 2min CD abilties your other souls will grant you and use them wisely.. They are usually very good abilities but situational.

15: The Final Tip, The best possible increase in dps for a melee class is to get the best possible dps rated weapon you can find for your level... people can qq about gear differences all they want, but if you dont want to admit that in an MMO, PVP is an arms race worse than the Cold War, you are going to be a freebie for people like me.

16: It's YOUR Assassin, Numbers do not lie, certain abilities do more damage than others, but at the end of the day it is your subscription so play your Assassin how you see fit.

17: Stuns are Situational, NEVER use your stun on a healer your trying to kill when they have 80% + health, unless you think you can take away all that health before the stun finishes. Against healers, stuns are best used when you believe you can kill them. It is also good to setup for your stun and bring alot of burst within the stun. Try to have 5 cp's built up so you can use a finisher straight away after you use stun, this gives you more burst potential then stunning your target when you have 1 or 2 cp's on them.

Feel free to add any of your own tips for the Assassins of Rift!

Last edited by iontheable; 02-22-2011 at 04:44 AM.

Soulwalker

Don't the bleeds break the blinding powder?

Rift Disciple

He doesn't blind his target, he blinds the healer next to it.

11. open with jagged strike, 3cp, than puncture, 2cp, now impale, than use foul play.
    Last edited by aqvamare; 02-21-2011 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gain View Post
    Of course they do!

But, two instances come into mind here:

You're fighting a caster, he is dot'd up from your attacks, and he is now casting a healing spell, "Blinding Powder" will interrupt that ability when other abilities are on cooldown.

Secondly, if you're 1v1'ing someone and another enemy is coming into range to aid their ally and bring you down. "@mouseover /cast Blinding Powder" now you have an extra ten seconds to take down your initial target.

Quote Originally Posted by aqvamare View Post
    aqvamare gets it! We are a class of thinkers, not SPAM 1 button to equal win.
    Last edited by iontheable; 02-21-2011 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gain View Post
    Then don't Blind the people with DoTs on them.

That is why it's always good to save it for when another person comes to try and help the person your killing.
    'I have long since closed my eyes... My only goal is in the Darkness.'

Quote Originally Posted by Raiyu View Post
    Then don't Blind the people with DoTs on them.

That is why it's always good to save it for when another person comes to try and help the person your killing.
    The more "oh ****" buttons the better.

amiright?!

Rift Disciple

Cool thanks for this im planning on rolling an assassin for PvP, and some PvE when live hits

Quote Originally Posted by iontheable View Post
    4: Ranged Attacks, Whether you enjoy spamming Fiery Spike, Swift Shot or Quick shot, make sure you have the ability to put a little threat down from a distance..there is nothing worse than someone getting away from you with >10% HP
    Here's a tip! ">" means greater than. "<" is less than. Haha not to be a jerk but don't want people to be confused.
    Can you please explain how mouseover macros work and how I can set one up? ((: Good guide, by the way.
    When life gets you down . . . make a comforter.
    Jake - Sacred Fire - Sunrest

Quote Originally Posted by Cheddar Puma View Post
    Here's a tip! ">" means greater than. "<" is less than. Haha not to be a jerk but don't want people to be confused.
    Can you please explain how mouseover macros work and how I can set one up? ((: Good guide, by the way.

Haha whoops!!

Thanks, it was a quick write up, I'll add the macro to the OP, because I'm sure this will bring questions.

Thanks Again.

Quote Originally Posted by aqvamare View Post

11. open with jagged strike, 3cp, than puncture, 2cp, now impale, than use foul play.
    Forgive me, but I'm always bad with abbreviations. What is 3cp and 2cp?

Thanks

Some great tips, a bump for you

3 combo points, 2 combo points.

I disagree with malicious strike after opening with a stun, I also strongly disagree with us being a dot bleed class.

2000 -> 2011 - TACO

Tangman / Marloc / Valafor

Quote Originally Posted by RiftWarden View Post
    Forgive me, but I'm always bad with abbreviations. What is 3cp and 2cp?

Thanks
    3 combo points and 2 combo points.

Jargon, popularized through WoW in all likelyhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Afflication View Post
    Some great tips, a bump for you
    And thank you.

Still awaiting any more good tips that we can provide for the new players Maybe we can make this the big "TOP TWENTY TIPS" hehe gotta keep that alliteration present.

And, please do bump when you get the chances, this thread could save us the class(hopefully) from getting the nerf bat after they buff it up do to the mass QQ'er's Could also save a lot of server space by not having a new thread every time a new Assassin gets spanked >,<

Quote Originally Posted by Tangman View Post
    3 combo points, 2 combo points.

I disagree with malicious strike after opening with a stun, I also strongly disagree with us being a dot bleed class.
    Would you mind elaborating? Provide some evidence to your thinking please.

Other than finishers, we have two "heavy-hitters" that come to mind, Backstab and Assassinate, respectively. Whereas we have more Dot's than I can count: Jagged Edge, Puncture, Serrated Blades, Poisons, Impale, etc Not to mention Expose Weakness affecting Bleeds as well...

And as far as not using Malicious Strike early(you don't have to use it "immediately" I like to though) do you like your enemies getting away from you? I don't.

*edit*

Saboteurs are heavy hitters, mages will be, various warrior classes...our Single Ability numbers are dwarfs in comparison to other classes.
    Last edited by iontheable; 02-21-2011 at 01:59 PM.

Elaboration;

Open with paralyze strike, BS, BS, mali -> whatever -> finisher.
    Will let the target come out of stun snared with you using your finisher as stun ends, on average.

I don't use the bleeds too much, opening with Jagged Strike means you forfeit your 4second stun, that will never be better than a 4second stun, unless you're duo in which case I would use Assassinate.

I don't think I even had Serrated Blades when I played it, I dislike bleeds that randomly appear on targets and last long, it prevents hard-cc swaps and whatnot, or just locking him down for a restealth and similar endeavors.

Note, this is me and my oppinion, I'm not claiming that you are wrong, but don't portray us as a bleed dot class when that is one of the ways we can play, not the only one.

2000 -> 2011 - TACO

Tangman / Marloc / Valafor

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast