+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Riftstalker - Defer Death, how does it work?

Soulwalker

Default Riftstalker - Defer Death, how does it work?

I guess there are a lot of people who played the rouge past lvl 38. So please, could anyone explain how this exactly works?

Soulwalker

I have yet to use it, but from what I understand, when you know a big burst of damage is coming you use Defer Death, which makes you immune to damage for 10 seconds, BUT...the damage that you would have taken during that time is backlogged and at the end of the 10second you take all that damage all at once in a big burst.

Sounds bad right? However you have access to another skill called Scatter Shadows (I think). This ability when used makes you immune to all damage for 3 seconds.

So use Defer Death and become immune to damage for 10 seconds, then in the final few seconds of DD, before it wears off you cast Scatter Shadows. DD wears off and you are dealt all the backlogged damage at once, except Scatter Shadows should be up and therefore you are immune to it and take 0 damage.

If this is wrong please feel free to correct me.

Quote Originally Posted by IIntrude View Post
    I have yet to use it, but from what I understand, when you know a big burst of damage is coming you use Defer Death, which makes you immune to damage for 10 seconds, BUT...the damage that you would have taken during that time is backlogged and at the end of the 10second you take all that damage all at once in a big burst.

Sounds bad right? However you have access to another skill called Scatter Shadows (I think). This ability when used makes you immune to all damage for 3 seconds.

So use Defer Death and become immune to damage for 10 seconds, then in the final few seconds of DD, before it wears off you cast Scatter Shadows. DD wears off and you are dealt all the backlogged damage at once, except Scatter Shadows should be up and therefore you are immune to it and take 0 damage.

If this is wrong please feel free to correct me.
    And it is for this reason that every 2 minutes we have essentially 11-13 seconds worth of immunity (based on your ability to time skills and ensure you don't screw up) to all damage that I think it either won't work this way or will be nerfed into the ground since it is glaringly overpowered.

This is an average damage reduction of 9.1666%, which is rather obscene, given a CD that does something like 60% damage reduction every 2-3 minutes is considered fairly powerful, but grants far far less overall if you just used it off-CD.

As much as I love RS Tanks, I do not want to become the go-to Tank just because I have an IWIN button built into my spec, and I especially don't want the aftershock of getting it ripped away and possibly other things nerfed (that don't need it). Playing rollercoaster with class changes is no bueno on a Tank when often your group relies on you and maybe one other to do the Raids.

we dont know yet if defer death and scatter the shadows would work together. Unless anyone from alpha wants to let us know.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by ninefourtyfour View Post
    we dont know yet if defer death and scatter the shadows would work together. Unless anyone from alpha wants to let us know.
    They don't work together. You end up simply taking the damage, tested this for lols.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethernia View Post
    They don't work together. You end up simply taking the damage, tested this for lols.
    So does Scatter the Shadows work then in PvE at all or just for damage you currently take? 3 seconds of immunity is still... eh... but not nearly so bad as 10+ seconds.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Fasc View Post
    So does Scatter the Shadows work then in PvE at all or just for damage you currently take? 3 seconds of immunity is still... eh... but not nearly so bad as 10+ seconds.
    It works, just not in conjunction with defer death.

Even if Scatter doesn't prevent the deferred damage, if you have enough HP to survive the backlogged damage you won't be taking any more and your healers have a few seconds to top you back off.

yeah, i didnt think it would.

defer death works fine by itself as well. Just gotta know went to use it. Rift prison is great as well.

Default Defer Death

Defer Death is exactly that a way to defer things that could kill you to a later point in time. In an instance where a boss is on a timed tank switch and your one of the last tanks to go you could literally delay it until 10 seconds later possibly allowing for no tank swap at all and a dead boss or making the next tank int he rotations job that much easier.
    Nanduan Goldenstar
    Staff Member of Tank Telara
    Tank of Telaran Aristry and the Aristry of War
    http://www.tanktelara.com

Rift Chaser

It is also fantastic for pvp, i've won games simply because i can hold the fang etc longer then anyone else could hope to.

It works, just not in conjunction with defer death.
    Hrmm well I suppose we'll have to see how things go with actual PvE encounters. I suspect we'll see some forms of spike damage that are meant to be OH SHI- moments and being able to negate them entirely... we'll just have to see. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it became just a really strong damage reduction vs complete immunity.

+ Reply to Thread