+ Reply to Thread

Thread: So I hear MM/Rang/Sabo is THE dps build... ?

Rift Disciple

Default So I hear MM/Rang/Sabo is THE dps build... ?

I went through the betas as a MM/Sabo/Riftstalker and while I was doing very well solo leveling (for the most part, could kill mobs 2-3 levels higher easily) the riftstalker soul really wasn't helping much. Also I wasn't sure which Sabo and MM skills stacked well together

I'd like to keep this pure DPS build going, and I've been reading that Ranger is a much better companion soul to MM/Sabo. Does anyone have some general guidelines for this build on where to spend points? i.e. where to spend and when at level 5, 10, 15, 20... etc?

Would help me very much in the headstart event

I played this Beta as Nightblade, Ranger, Riftstalker. I put 10 points into Ranger for the increased Crit and Damage Reduction. It gave me the Boar and Wolf. For the most part I used the Boar and the Wolf for Rift events.

However once I was +30 I found the lack of points in Ranger limited the Boar Rank, which maxed at Rank 6 for a L30 pet. The Wolf was Rank 6 at L34.

I did purchase other Roles

Ranger / Marksman / Sabatour

Ranger / Bard / Nightblade

However in the end I ended up respec'ing my Bard Role for Ranger / Bard with currently 24 points in both Ranger and 24 points in Bard.

The 24 points in Ranger gives me the Dire Wolf which currently at Rank 2 is maxed at L34. I to am looking for a better PvE build under the Rogue Calling.

But at the moment having switched from Nightblade to Bard/Ranger I am loving it. The DPS pet, and full healing from the Bard means I loose hardly any Hps and can easily take on 5 mobs at once without much effort.

I have found that 1v1 is very slow, but taking on more mobs at once can make up for it. But I would still like a better 1v1.

I did make a Guardian Ranger / Marksman / Bard in Beta 4 and really liked it. I am thinking if that would be a better 1v1 spec.

Just my thoughts.
    Current Rift Progression: 20man - GSB 5/5, RoS 5/5, HK 1/11. 10man - GP 4/4, DH 4/4, RotP 1/4.

Quote Originally Posted by Durak View Post
    I went through the betas as a MM/Sabo/Riftstalker and while I was doing very well solo leveling (for the most part, could kill mobs 2-3 levels higher easily) the riftstalker soul really wasn't helping much. Also I wasn't sure which Sabo and MM skills stacked well together

I'd like to keep this pure DPS build going, and I've been reading that Ranger is a much better companion soul to MM/Sabo. Does anyone have some general guidelines for this build on where to spend points? i.e. where to spend and when at level 5, 10, 15, 20... etc?

Would help me very much in the headstart event
    only thing sabo gives u is the snare, doesnt really add to dps, so that 3rd soul isnt too huge for dps, but ranger/mm is indeed insane dps right now, nb imo gives u the most dps of all the 3rd souls since all their stuff works with ranged.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Hokonoso View Post
    only thing sabo gives u is the snare, doesnt really add to dps, so that 3rd soul isnt too huge for dps, but ranger/mm is indeed insane dps right now, nb imo gives u the most dps of all the 3rd souls since all their stuff works with ranged.
    so what's the trick to ranger/mm... have the pet tank while you unleash your ranged combos?

Telaran

Why would your pet be tanking if this is a DPS build? You'd be using two completely different pets, the Dire Wolves are your DPS pets and the Boars are your tank pets. If you want a DPS build you don't necessarily need to get the greater pets as you don't need the tanking ability so a Ranger heavy build is not required. If you are looking for a solo/leveling/farming build you obviolsly need at least 24points in ranger for the greater pets.

Soulwalker

Prior to open beta being done, I got my MM/Ranger/Sabo up to 19. I was fairly well equipped with epic legs, rare bow/chest and max dex items available typically available to a level 19.

I specced MM far higher than ranger and obviously sabo, I did pick up crit in the ranger spec. My deadeye crits were hitting for 500-530. The other combo finishers were critting around 350-400.

The spec is insane DPS, I suualy rank first in every single rift (somce instances where I arrive late I will still grab first) event and typically walk away from major invasions or events with 200-300+ planarite. Its a good build for PvE, I am sure I would own in PvP but didnt really have a chance to test it.

The only issue I found was that I took aggro from EVERYONE, the only people who kept aggro were significantly higher level than me. Since I didnt spec ranger worth a damn, while transferring agro to my pet, the pet would quickly die and I would find myself drawing agro pretty quick. Focus fire from groups of mobs was difficult to get awayy from.

This is where the cripple shot (from ranger spec) and adhesive bomb (entry level sabo skill) were awesome for crowd control and evading agro situations. This build pretty much gives you 4 skills that /root/slow/repel. Using them in conjunction with each other allows for cooldowns to expire and the skills become usuable again. Coupled with the 5 second sprint (cant remember the damn name).. you get the idea.

All in all a very fun combination to play. Running with a tank and healer would make for compact and fun PVP scenarios.
    Last edited by mdcpike; 02-21-2011 at 09:56 AM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Durak View Post
    so what's the trick to ranger/mm... have the pet tank while you unleash your ranged combos?
    Pretty much. As a heavy DPS Spec (MM/Ranger/Sabo), you need to let your pet charge and grab aggro and then unleash your combo attacks and finishers. If you grab agro from your pet (which you will), drop a barbed shot for a movement based DOT and then execute cripple shot. From there you can build up another finisher or to and then its over. Repelling shot will give you the time to finish higher level or tougher mobs as well as give you time for cooldowns to finish. I solo elites near my level all the time with this configuration and process.

Keep in mind, you are a punching bag up close. So you need to keep the range up, cripple shot, repelling shot, adhesive bomb, and the root shot (cant remember exact name) can all be used effectively enough whereas you will always have some type of stun or slow available.

My bad, I see I read your post wrong, same logic applies though however you have different pets for different usage as was stated prior.
    Last edited by mdcpike; 02-21-2011 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Spelling. General Confusion. :)

+ Reply to Thread