+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Why is Assassin Bad?

Rift Disciple

Default Why is Assassin Bad?

Hey there... i see alot of people and threads saying that Assassin soul is worthless, and im curious as to why? Ive been leveling with assassin as my main soul and it seems to burst stuff down plenty fast does it just not have good sustained dps ina PvE environment? So pretty much im having a blast playing this Soul and im looking for some specifics as to why it is awful. Thanks in advance

Rift Chaser

The playstyle is indeed quite enjoyable, and the dps *is* pretty decent and sustainable...the problem is that a good chunk of it is bleed damage, and burst damage (especially early on) is fairly low and underwhelming.

The class also lacks AoE and any real form of ranged, plus defenses.

So basically it is great @ World PvE and World PvP.

Limited PvP and instance reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephris View Post

The class also lacks AoE and any real form of ranged
    Take a sab soul and the ranged really isn't a problem

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Spiralking View Post
    Take a sab soul and the ranged really isn't a problem
    Of course - Ive done that quite a bit.

Go deep assassin though, as your main tree.

Some of us want to play a certain class *as* our class, with the other 2 as support.

Currently Assassin is amazing support in the form of stealth/crit/bleeds, but not as a main.

Sin has doog pve dps, but as far as it`s abilitys are all melee - they cant really use them in pvp.
    One stealth-kill and you`ll be turned into a hedgehog by some marksman`s arrows.
    So it`s 1 kill at best, and if healers are near - you`ll just die trying.
    And yes - before 31 lvl you can use stealth only out of combat - wich means after first try -
    you`r out of it usually till (not so long) death.
    Just an oppinion thou
    Viva la inquisition!
    Betta etiquette

The problem with assassin is that it feels like its balanced for PVE. Leveling and killing quest mobs the class is fantastic. Statistically when you parse assassin damage and then compare it with other souls the damage is on par with what some other souls do. The issue comes specifically from PVP. In a PVP environment the assassin is trash when held in comparison to the standards set for assassin classes in other games. The mediocre damage output of the soul becomes an issue in pvp when you start factoring in damage mitigation from player armor. Statistically their damage output is very similar to what a nightblade outputs, but a nightblade has more effective DPS in PVP because they do so much fire and death damage. Assassins being completely reliant on physical damage hurts them big time, especially when you figure in that they don't have enough CC to effectively lock a target down. Its sort of the perfect storm bad circumstances, mediocre damage output + armor mitigation + lack of effective CC and you end up with a situation where its simply very difficult for that class to do what we've always been told assassins do, which is be the glass canon melee class.

Like I said, in PVE they're fine. Their damage output is on par with the nightblade and since PVE mobs don't run around with the mitigation levels that players do the class shines in the light of questing and stuff. The thing falls apart completely in a PVP scenario though. It's really not viable for anything more than a hybrid spec.
    Briarcliff * Defiant

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Smashapotamus View Post
    The problem with assassin is that it feels like its balanced for PVE. Leveling and killing quest mobs the class is fantastic. Statistically when you parse assassin damage and then compare it with other souls the damage is on par with what some other souls do. The issue comes specifically from PVP. In a PVP environment the assassin is trash when held in comparison to the standards set for assassin classes in other games. The mediocre damage output of the soul becomes an issue in pvp when you start factoring in damage mitigation from player armor. Statistically their damage output is very similar to what a nightblade outputs, but a nightblade has more effective DPS in PVP because they do so much fire and death damage. Assassins being completely reliant on physical damage hurts them big time, especially when you figure in that they don't have enough CC to effectively lock a target down. Its sort of the perfect storm bad circumstances, mediocre damage output + armor mitigation + lack of effective CC and you end up with a situation where its simply very difficult for that class to do what we've always been told assassins do, which is be the glass canon melee class.

Like I said, in PVE they're fine. Their damage output is on par with the nightblade and since PVE mobs don't run around with the mitigation levels that players do the class shines in the light of questing and stuff. The thing falls apart completely in a PVP scenario though. It's really not viable for anything more than a hybrid spec.
    ** Single target Boss PVE, or leveling/World pve.

They are quite bad at *any* form of aoe/adds =S

Ranger-Assassin.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by mambome View Post
    Ranger-Assassin.
    Thats the point. Assassin should not be purely support for other classes. And at current it is...in fact its one of the best 2nd or 3rd classes to pick with any other rogue class as the first.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephris View Post
    Thats the point. Assassin should not be purely support for other classes. And at current it is...in fact its one of the best 2nd or 3rd classes to pick with any other rogue class as the first.
    No, ranger as support. 5 points in it is all you need.

I totally agree with Smashapotamus. For questing I really enjoy the Sin, cause they smash everything down fast and easy and the stealth/slip away with a little support from NB makes it really fun.

I then joined a Warfront, and I must say, I was quite disappointed to say the least. Made a Sab/NB spec and it was a totally other experience.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Cmac4 View Post
    Hey there... i see alot of people and threads saying that Assassin soul is worthless, and im curious as to why? Ive been leveling with assassin as my main soul and it seems to burst stuff down plenty fast does it just not have good sustained dps ina PvE environment? So pretty much im having a blast playing this Soul and im looking for some specifics as to why it is awful. Thanks in advance

Basicly the damage is ok, but its underwhelmed alot, savage strike deals to low damage, the tree is focused on physical dps and poisons still we dont have any attackspeed increaser.

The rotation is dull, the tree itself has a 51 pointer that should be in rotation earlier on, and does not fit as 51 pointer.

basicly the tree is a mess, for pvp its also bad, its good only if u have 20 points in riftstalker then its great.

Rift Disciple

I used assasin as my main with Sab and Riftstalker as support, seemed good with good DPS.

What other melee rogue calling has better DPS? Blade Dancer?

Rift Master

Nightbla---!

Quote Originally Posted by rowdysattva View Post
    Nightbla---!
    Watch it fella...

A little kindness goes a long way.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast