+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I am at a complete loss - Please advise me

Soulwalker

Default I am at a complete loss - Please advise me

I have leveled up to 23 using a Bard/NB/RS build. I thought I was doing just fine until I started to read these forums. I changed my spec several times and just feel I am not getting any oomph out of my bard now.

I am looking to be able to solo solidly, I can offspec for healys or whatever (I have done all the quests).

Perhaps it is my rotation, I am not sure anymore.

I usually open with Fiery Spike as I run in (3stack) then 2 primals, then coda of wrath. 2 primals a fiery to keep the stack rolling, primals up to 5 stack then blazing strike. If I need I hit cadence and guarded steel.

Prior to respeccing I did the same open but then used Riftguard which was great ( I specd out).

Basically I think I hosed myself and now I am not sure what to do..

Any advice would be wonderful at this point.

It would be helpful if you linked to your soul build. We can only speculate what you had at 23 right now. I'm curious how much "oomph" you are looking to get out of your Bard. We are never going to be an OMGWTFPWNBBQ class with our damage.

The best that I can recommend to you right now would be a build similar to this. You have 23 in Bard so you get all of your buffing/healing/damage goodies there and you have 7 in Nightblade to up your damage.

As far as the rotation goes try this. Before each fight make sure you have all of your Motifs up. They actually give you a huge boost when they are all going at once. Make sure you are using the right Anthems and Fanfares. If you need more damage go with the Fanfare of Power; need more life go with the +Endurance one. Keep Anthem of Glory up (it's really your only in-combat one right now).

Pull with Power Chord then follow up with a Cadence. Hit Coda of Wrath/Fury for your big damage and just keep doing that.

I've been using that approach since Beta 1 and it has served me well to get through all the quests I needed to do. At 23 you are still fairly new and limited in all of your souls so it is possible to limit your potential early on. Don't fret. Just reset your points and try something different. Don't spread yourself out too thin between all the souls as you level. Focus on one main soul and then drop a few points in the others as they come along.

I hope this helps. I know it is always tough when you can't seem to find a plan that works.
    Author of Support Bard Guide and Officer of Nuln Highway Boys

Quote Originally Posted by Kerwyn View Post
    Any advice would be wonderful at this point.
    It's your decision to stay with a Rogue, if that's your thing. But they're absolutely terrible right now, and there's absolutely no reason to play a leather-wearing Rogue over a plate-wearing Warrior. They have better armor (they don't even need to use their pet as Beastmasters), and more DPS. And yes, you guessed it, they are the best tanks, contrary to the ever-so-popular, hilarious belief.

I wouldn't doubt Trion is working on them still, but they still need a ton of work.

Soulwalker

I'm running Bard/ranger/rift which i'm loving for solo action the ranger pet is a nice tank and is great for your heals/buffs and the xtra dmg/def from riftstalker makes taking on 4 or more mobs pretty easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Langston View Post
    BIG QUOTE.
    Just nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking. But you should pull with cadence and follow with power chord at the end due to the GCD of hitting cadence ending before the channel is up so you can immediately power chord after instead of Power chord-gcd-cadence.

All of that goes out the window though if you just want to pull it and keep moving, but at that point your not cadencing are you?

Soulwalker

Ah well I can't do anything now that beta is over darn

You need to fully spec the bard for starters - at least to get Riff, which is essential to the bards performance. Use cadence and power chord to build points. Use another soul's (sab,mm) finishers for dmg.

Remember, everyone plays and expects different things out of a class. Coming to the forums to get ideas on builds is a great thing. But making those builds work for your play style is a whole different ballgame.

+ Reply to Thread