+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do MM/Rangers just lack burst damage in PvP?

Plane Walker

Default Do MM/Rangers just lack burst damage in PvP?

Spent today doing a ton of PvP on my MM/Ranger/Bard. Did a lot of PvP in the the 10-19 warfront and a little in the 21-29 warfronts (I'm at level 22 so far). What I noticed is that as a mostly MM, I just don't have much burst damage. My normal rotation is to start with Barbed Shot, followed up with Empowered Shot, followed up with 2x Swift Shot and then Deadeye Shot as a 5-piont finisher. I can't even DPS down a cleric past 80%. They just heal themselves and slowly whittle down my health. And my health < than their mana pool by a long shot.

Normally I try and stay at range, in the back of the pack, and pick on enemy healers, mages, and other ranged rogues. It just seems like my damage is low and when players have 1500+ heallth and your "big" damage 5-point combo attack only crits 250-350ish it just doesn't feel like your attacks are doing much.

Not trying to whine, just a trying to figure out the ranged rogue class in PvP. I love my MM/Ranger/Bard for PvE/soloing/questing, but it just seems like in PvP I'm not much more than a nuisance (can't scratch warriors, clerics just laugh off my DPS with their heals, and mages just insta-cook me).

Any other MMs have some PvP pointers/tips? Or are we just a kinda lackluster soul. Oh yeah, and whatever that warrior soul is that can root me for 9 hours, beat me within an inch of my life, and then yank me back from 900 yards away the moment I get free so they can kill me...I hate you.

MM/Ranger lacking burst? Are you joking?
    Pre-server merges BS statement:
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Given how quickly population seems to be growing overall, I think we'll see new servers before mergers.
    Post server merges BS Statement:
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    I think at this point I'm obliged to grant that functionally I was wrong about mergers.
    A quick snap of the neck keeps those corpses nice and dead like." ~ Ferry

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Lockiszemode View Post
    MM/Ranger lacking burst? Are you joking?
    Um no. Perhaps its my spec or my attack rotation? My current spec is here:
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0McNf.Vc..VGzoaz
    Last edited by Godzillamax; 02-20-2011 at 07:01 PM.

lol, i spam quick shot and haste shot and i own ppl as an mm in pvp. i find if you run around ppl they tend to follow you instead of stand still and look stupid. i also cheat and use the bard heal for a quick 3 points on a target to make it look like im not a threat before i pull out an instant dead eye shot out of nowhere.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Hokonoso View Post
    lol, i spam quick shot and haste shot and i own ppl as an mm in pvp. i find if you run around ppl they tend to follow you instead of stand still and look stupid. i also cheat and use the bard heal for a quick 3 points on a target to make it look like im not a threat before i pull out an instant dead eye shot out of nowhere.
    Wouldn't spamming quick shot and haste shot be pointless unless you are kiting someone? And wouldn't it be better to spam swift shot instead of quick shot? Same energy cost, same points generated, same damage, but swift shot adds to your movement speed? I sometimes find myself being pursued and do this, but the damage is so low from these two shots I might as well be tossing fleas at my enemy. Most of the time in PvP I don't need to kite one individual since I'm standing in the back focusing on the healers/mages on the opposing team.

Did some quick testing...my quick shot is hitting for ~60-70. Empowered shot hit for ~130, and Deadeye hot for ~350. That was versus a level 23 rogue. When players have 1,700-2K health at level 20...that's not even a tickle.
    Last edited by Godzillamax; 02-20-2011 at 07:11 PM.

Rift Chaser

My MM/Ranger does plenty damage, especially with that Deadeye when it crits. At this point I'd almost say Rogues are a bit OP in my opinion. Only played Warrior/Rogue in the Beta mostly..not feeling the Warrior.
    Last edited by jca1982; 02-20-2011 at 08:17 PM.

+ Reply to Thread