+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Yep, Assassins need some help. Read my WARFRONT story.

Rift Disciple

Default Yep, Assassins need some help. Read my WARFRONT story.

Hello Fellow RIFTies,

So I am in The Codex Warfront with my 26 Sin / Ranger / RS (see link below) and my Razorback pet and find myself on the Defiant side cliff at The Codex alone confronting a 25 Cleric (Annie). Now I am hitting her with everything I got and my pet is on the other side hitting her also. The best I can do is melee her down to about 50% before she is able to heal herself back to full. She was not able to hit me at all as she was too busy healing herself due to my sustained damage. This goes on for about 20 - 30 seconds before I realize that this is futile. Granted I didn't expect to really kill her as I was more or less expecting help to arrive.

At this point I take a step back, do a /lol and from 3 meters away I start to "range" her down with my Ranger. Low and behold she starts to take more and more damage until I am able to use a finisher to finally kill her. This also lasts about 20 - 30 seconds.

At the end of the day the Assassin does need some consideration. We just need that little (as so many other threads have already stated) "oomph" to make the class reasonable. We who play Rogue / Assassins are a very loyal and passionate group of people who are committed to this archetype. At this point I will continue to play my "toon" and hope that Trion and the development team will give this class / soul some real consideration. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

With regards to my build below, it's a basic PVE / PVP build that seems to work well for me so far. Pet management is not an issue and they have worked out great.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0MNMp.VMs.MVRfo0b.V

G

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Gueneveve View Post
    Hello Fellow RIFTies,

So I am in The Codex Warfront with my 26 Sin / Ranger / RS (see link below) and my Razorback pet and find myself on the Defiant side cliff at The Codex alone confronting a 25 Cleric (Annie). Now I am hitting her with everything I got and my pet is on the other side hitting her also. The best I can do is melee her down to about 50% before she is able to heal herself back to full. She was not able to hit me at all as she was too busy healing herself due to my sustained damage. This goes on for about 20 - 30 seconds before I realize that this is futile. Granted I didn't expect to really kill her as I was more or less expecting help to arrive.

At this point I take a step back, do a /lol and from 3 meters away I start to "range" her down with my Ranger. Low and behold she starts to take more and more damage until I am able to use a finisher to finally kill her. This also lasts about 20 - 30 seconds.

At the end of the day the Assassin does need some consideration. We just need that little (as so many other threads have already stated) "oomph" to make the class reasonable. We who play Rogue / Assassins are a very loyal and passionate group of people who are committed to this archetype. At this point I will continue to play my "toon" and hope that Trion and the development team will give this class / soul some real consideration. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

With regards to my build below, it's a basic PVE / PVP build that seems to work well for me so far. Pet management is not an issue and they have worked out great.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0MNMp.VMs.MVRfo0b.V

G
    You have a hybrid build trying to run PvP. Due to this, you have no backstab, foul play, or jagged strike. While I wont argue Assassins can struggle, your build definitely isn't helping you any for the scenario you posted.

Rift Master

Currently assasains, and most melee characters really, struggle because everyone is ranged. Its all bards/rangers/marksmen/mages/clerics/riftblades. Second you run in theres 10 ranged characters there to instasnare, root and stun you. Even trying to pick someone off from the back you have to hope they dont have heals (long heal range remember) or you can kill them in 5 GCDs (unlikely vs most good players).

All in all for PvP right now nightblade>assasain

I can honestly say its not easy for a assassin until you have Jagged Strike and Impale, yes there is the odd person who disagree with me but i have seen many people saying after they tried the bleed style attacks and i had great reviews from them.

just my view on it then attacking a healer, I never found we had enough burst to kill a person in the 6 seconds of stuns we have, if we did they would be boarder line over powered. So after the 6 second on stuns you target will just instant heal you and dot you up and just kite you around and since you've used your burst its near on impossible to take the healer down.

With the Bleed style of you would open up with Jagged Strike then a Puncture followed by a impale, that will be 400-500 damage a tick for ruffly 20 seconds, I would now use my Foul Play to stun the healer for 4 seconds and hes still receiving the damage from the dots, if the healer did mange to get away from you he will be less mobile due to the bleed effects still ticking so there will be less kiting. So the bleed style doesn't give the high numbers that you get when using Final Blow but it works a lot better.

i would look to a build like this once you get 32 http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0MiM_.V.MARfx0bod0R
    Neurosis - Assassin - Giving Guardians Free Favor Since Beta

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy View Post
    You have a hybrid build trying to run PvP. Due to this, you have no backstab, foul play, or jagged strike. While I wont argue Assassins can struggle, your build definitely isn't helping you any for the scenario you posted.
    Ahhhh, yep I see your point. Not completely up that far in the tree yet. When I engaged her I was still in battle so I wasnt abe to go into stealth. Thanks for the feedback.

G

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by serenics View Post
    I can honestly say its not easy for a assassin until you have Jagged Strike and Impale, yes there is the odd person who disagree with me but i have seen many people saying after they tried the bleed style attacks and i had great reviews from them.

just my view on it then attacking a healer, I never found we had enough burst to kill a person in the 6 seconds of stuns we have, if we did they would be boarder line over powered. So after the 6 second on stuns you target will just instant heal you and dot you up and just kite you around and since you've used your burst its near on impossible to take the healer down.

With the Bleed style of you would open up with Jagged Strike then a Puncture followed by a impale, that will be 400-500 damage a tick for ruffly 20 seconds, I would now use my Foul Play to stun the healer for 4 seconds and hes still receiving the damage from the dots, if the healer did mange to get away from you he will be less mobile due to the bleed effects still ticking so there will be less kiting. So the bleed style doesn't give the high numbers that you get when using Final Blow but it works a lot better.

i would look to a build like this once you get 32 http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0MiM_.V.MARfx0bod0R
    Thanks for the feedback. That build is pretty close to what I have so I just might take a look at that.

G

Telaran

i find assissnate (the ability) to be very poor. anyone else find the same?

We also need longer stuns or even like a spell interupt before level 25. not a 4 second stun on a 30 second CD.

Also, whats with the bull s**t knock back that everyone doing? Its starting to get really annoying.

the only way i can take someone down is, stealth attack.. or if i got a healer near by keeping an eye on me now and then.

I find that we just lack alot of utility before level 25. Before level 15 stealth is a joke.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by tenacious View Post
    i find assissnate (the ability) to be very poor. anyone else find the same?

We also need longer stuns or even like a spell interupt before level 25. not a 4 second stun on a 30 second CD.

Also, whats with the bull s**t knock back that everyone doing? Its starting to get really annoying.

the only way i can take someone down is, stealth attack.. or if i got a healer near by keeping an eye on me now and then.

I find that we just lack alot of utility before level 25. Before level 15 stealth is a joke.
    We dont need longer stuns. If anything this game needs shorter CC, everyone has 7 second roots and 4 second stuns its a bit much. We do need a spell interrupt on a 3 second CD or so to help us with clerics but I dont wanna see a 'standard' rogue. 2 shot from stealth/stunlock ***.

Telaran

thats true. I'd be happy with a spell interupt on a 3 sec CD

I've been trying to get more into the bleeds.. but until lvl 30 or 32.. thats not really gonna happen.

Is it just me or do we not have any poison over time poisons? all we have is like a poison that increase crit by 5% (LOL) and one that increases spell/ energy expenditure
    Last edited by tenacious; 02-20-2011 at 06:26 AM.

Telaran

So, what you are saying is, you killed the cleric and are concerned it took you so long? Or concerned you couldn't do it with only melee damage?

You force the cleric on the defensive where he/she could only focus on healing. They weren't damaging you or your pet. They couldn't get away. And eventually, using the tools you had available in your build, you killed the cleric.

I guess I'm missing the problem. If you want more dps from your assassin, put more effort/points into it.

Some of your shortcomings in the build have already been pointed out. That's the best part of the soul system. You can switch roles on the fly, tweak builds repeatedly, and make adjustments based on outcomes as you need to. There's nothing "wrong" with assassin.

I tweaked my build to take advantage of some of the B7 changes, going with an Assassin/Nightblade build (high Assassin, splash of Nightblade). With those tweaks my performance is significantly better than it was in B6, and I have no real problems killing anyone, but I think the spec will really start to shine in the low 40s.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Glyndo View Post
    So, what you are saying is, you killed the cleric and are concerned it took you so long? Or concerned you couldn't do it with only melee damage?

You force the cleric on the defensive where he/she could only focus on healing. They weren't damaging you or your pet. They couldn't get away. And eventually, using the tools you had available in your build, you killed the cleric.

I guess I'm missing the problem. If you want more dps from your assassin, put more effort/points into it.

Some of your shortcomings in the build have already been pointed out. That's the best part of the soul system. You can switch roles on the fly, tweak builds repeatedly, and make adjustments based on outcomes as you need to. There's nothing "wrong" with assassin.
    I guess from that point of view I succeeded in what I was doing. Like I said before It just seems to lack that "Oomph" I was expecting and not by much at all. I could look at a straight melee DPS build but I would have to lose some of the other functionalty of the current build. Like another poster said thats whats great about the soul system, lots of mixing and matching.

Thanks for the feedback,

G

Shadowlander

While not the greatest thread ever I feel I need to interject to the people saying he's not speced high enough in assassin. His point is that at 18 assassin 11 ranger he had to switch to missles because guns weren't doing their job. He isn't exactly "speced" as a cleric killer down his ranger tree either but switching to his bow he downed the cleric where with his assassin tools he couldn't... I kinda see a glaring problem there also

Soulwalker

Something else to consider is the rank of the CP builders and finishers available to him at that level. They don't all rank up evenly and I find myself switching between them sometimes when I get a new rank or one, but not the other.

Range > Mage > Melee > Range

Oldest rpg set up in the book, and I'm quite sure it applies in Rift.
    "It's sad something so well written was wasted on a forum post..." - Gilmador

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast