+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A low level alternative to ranger for soloing

Default A low level alternative to ranger for soloing

Everyone is a ranger. If you are planning on being a rogue at headstart you were probably planning to start off as a ranger too, weren't you? And why not?! Wveryone knows pet classes, particularly rangers, solo better and faster than everyone! Right? Well. As much as i like 'ol Wumpus, i kind of get tired of shooting things, bows are for sissies anyway and unfortunantly good guns are far between and few.

But dont worry! I have found an alternative!

This may be obvious to some, but while the bards overall dps is pretty low, it does have the unique ability amogst rogue classes to generate 5 combo points in just 3 seconds, repeatedly and sustainably. This means that if you can get a particularly buffed up finisher its damage output is actually pretty good.

From there you keep increasing combo point generation damage and then finisher damage, then just go full bard.

The secret is the +30% damage to your final blow, and the fact that you can generate 5 combo points in 3 seconds with coda->power chord.

The great beauty of it however, is how safe it is. You can easily tank several mobs at a time and maintain full health. Further since you dont have a pet to wory about, the mobs all come straight to you! So time is saved on looting!

Once you get to the 20s there are probably better builds for soloing, but having done 1-20 many times on many different characters, this is probably one of my favorite builds. Its 'ease of use' and overall effectiveness was much like my rift blade/void knight warrior, and everyone knows how overpowered they are! ~_^

While your actual dps may be slightly lower than what some other builds can supply, i can easily kill normal mobs my level with 2 finishers at 20, which only takes 8 seconds total to pull off. Even the aformentioned rift blade/void knight warrior took around 7 seconds per kill (largly due to the .5 second longer GCD that non rogues have).

And the weaker mobs (you know the ones) die from the first final blow, so thats 4 seconds!

Time saved running around is also a boon. the 15% speed boost will speed up questing. Never dying is also a time saver.

I ran IT with a full DPS spec 4 levels higher than me and came in fairly close behind them, while simultaniously providing reasonably good buffs to the group, and healing. I outdamaged the other dps.

This is what i will be doing for head start. Try it out ^_^ And dont let anyone tell you those smelly rangers are the best way to go.

This has the side effect of not needing an extra role to farm favor in the low tier warfronts ~_^
    Last edited by Vabjekf; 02-19-2011 at 10:37 PM.

Soulwalker

Hey, not bad. I've been leveling Assassin but to be honest more survivability is sorely needed.

Rift Disciple

I'm starting out Ranger then adding Bard and Riftstalker for my first three souls. By the time I hit 10 I hoping to have the cash to get my second role. From there I just switch those three around to Brd/RS/Rng for my PvP build. Then I'm set until I can add my third soul which will probably be a stealth build. Something I can switch into when I don't feel like fighting the forty bajillion mobs in between me and that pesky quest objective. Lastly will be a Sab build for changing things up in PvP if others are there to heal.

I believe your build would still be more effective with ranger instead of nightblade at low level. As the points are currently distributed ranger pet > 3% increase to cadence

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Vabjekf View Post
    Everyone is a ranger. If you are planning on being a rogue at headstart you were probably planning to start off as a ranger too, weren't you? And why not?! Wveryone knows pet classes, particularly rangers, solo better and faster than everyone! Right? Well. As much as i like 'ol Wumpus, i kind of get tired of shooting things, bows are for sissies anyway and unfortunantly good guns are far between and few.

But dont worry! I have found an alternative!

This may be obvious to some, but while the bards overall dps is pretty low, it does have the unique ability amogst rogue classes to generate 5 combo points in just 3 seconds, repeatedly and sustainably. This means that if you can get a particularly buffed up finisher its damage output is actually pretty good.

From there you keep increasing combo point generation damage and then finisher damage, then just go full bard.

The secret is the +30% damage to your final blow, and the fact that you can generate 5 combo points in 3 seconds with coda->power chord.

The great beauty of it however, is how safe it is. You can easily tank several mobs at a time and maintain full health. Further since you dont have a pet to wory about, the mobs all come straight to you! So time is saved on looting!

Once you get to the 20s there are probably better builds for soloing, but having done 1-20 many times on many different characters, this is probably one of my favorite builds. Its 'ease of use' and overall effectiveness was much like my rift blade/void knight warrior, and everyone knows how overpowered they are! ~_^

While your actual dps may be slightly lower than what some other builds can supply, i can easily kill normal mobs my level with 2 finishers at 20, which only takes 8 seconds total to pull off. Even the aformentioned rift blade/void knight warrior took around 7 seconds per kill (largly due to the .5 second longer GCD that non rogues have).

And the weaker mobs (you know the ones) die from the first final blow, so thats 4 seconds!

Time saved running around is also a boon. the 15% speed boost will speed up questing. Never dying is also a time saver.

I ran IT with a full DPS spec 4 levels higher than me and came in fairly close behind them, while simultaniously providing reasonably good buffs to the group, and healing. I outdamaged the other dps.

This is what i will be doing for head start. Try it out ^_^ And dont let anyone tell you those smelly rangers are the best way to go.

This has the side effect of not needing an extra role to farm favor in the low tier warfronts ~_^
    What does your final build look like?

Quote Originally Posted by markww View Post
    I believe your build would still be more effective with ranger instead of nightblade at low level. As the points are currently distributed ranger pet > 3% increase to cadence
    Maybe, but im kind of planning for the possibility that at release getting all the souls is not as easy as it is in beta.

And once you can start getting the finisher damage bonus from nightblade ranger is a poor option. Also, you are a perfectly fine tank on your own for soloing, and the free ranger pet is just a low dps tank pet, kind of redundant. You could say more crits is good, but you could invest in assassin if you just wanted more crits anyway.

At level 20 my finisher is hitting for 300 damage non crit.

Since i can use it every 4 seconds, and i know im getting well over 100 damage from just cadence and power chord, im doing over 100 dps, on a character that heals itself constantly and can easily tank 3-4 quest mobs maintaining 100% health.

Also you can CC, which is nice.

I joined It again as a dps. i had most dps, most heals, and i CCd during the 3 bosses at once fight and the two dog-things that hurt fight just after the three bosses at once fight.

Was pretty nice.

Oh. And i also have a spammable aoe attack which makes large groups of minions in rifts/dungeons easy =P

Ive got to say this is my favorite build so far, between all callings ive tried (not tried cleric).

It really feels powerful and flexible.

And a more endgame related build could follow the trend, with 32 bard 10 nightblade and rest assassin, and get even more damage/crit related things, a 4 second stun, and a third 15% damage bonus to final blow (if attacking from behind)
    Last edited by Vabjekf; 02-20-2011 at 03:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortimous View Post
    What does your final build look like?
    Well, keep in mind i did not origionaly design this to be an end game build, i just wanted something nice for the first half of the game, since ive been told melee does nto develop untill the 30s, and i watned to avoid being a ranger untill then.

But looking at it more i think something like this http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...VszqV0skqz.V0x

would be effective endgame for both soloing as well as 5 man support+dps. I would probably want to go full support bard or a dedicated dps build for raids.

The 3 points in serrated blades could be moved into something else, such as blinding powder and silent footsteps of thats needed to continue being able to lost hope in harder content. The point in backstab is also flexible, im not sure how much a damage boost using it in a group would give over just final blow spam from behind, considering the healing output i would be sacrificing.

There is also the possibility that you can have one enemy lost hoped, AND one enemy incapacitated simultaniously. Ive not tested that.. i may respec right now and try it. That would be even another nice bonus =P EDIT (i tested this and you can indeed have two enemies CCd by using lost hope and incapacitate)

Keep in mind i play on a pvp server so the in combat movement speed, bard mez, and virtuoso spam option are all appealing to me in a solo build, to fend off gank attempts ^_^
    Last edited by Vabjekf; 02-20-2011 at 04:02 AM.

Interesting build with some nice information about it.
    Most defo worth a try to test it out

I ran a parser last night for comparison.

At level 20-22 using blue level 19 weapons i bought from the faction merchant i averaged right around 100dps per fight soloing against even level mobs. When my finisher crits it spikes up to around 140dps for that fight=P My overall dps was around 108.

While full support bard i could (slowly) solo those level 20 elite giants, i can not with this build.

Of note is that running my motiffs increaes dps notably in the parses, but due to the nature of my rotation the mobs still die from the second final blow regardless (so, 8 second fights every time), so keeping motiffs up is not even required for soloing at these levels.

Currently sitting at http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0MMci.h.VszoV.V0x

heading towards http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0MMci.h.VszaV0ko.V0x in 5 more levels.

Also, i can confirm that a cleric of equal level is OP and can outheal my deeps ;_; She couldn't kill me either though, till her smell dwarf friend showed up!

Overall final blow makes up 50% of my damage output, with cadence being around 30%, and auto attacks and the weapon proc buffs being the rest.
    Last edited by Vabjekf; 02-20-2011 at 06:44 PM.

+ Reply to Thread