+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bard Damage

Soulwalker

Default Bard Damage

The basic bard abilities that add damage to an attack--is this damage added to my ranged attack? As in, does my music add damage off the base bow/gun?

Rift Disciple

Yes. Cadence for example, uses the damage of the weapon you are auto-attacking with - then adds some, and deals it as Life damage.
    Last edited by Marduke; 02-19-2011 at 06:56 PM.

Soulwalker

A related question... I'm trying to figure out a greater planer essence to use and they all say "on physical" or "on spell" damage, does cadence count as one of those or "ranged" damage?

Take the spell damage one. Cadence is considered a spell by the game and would benefit from it.
    Author of Support Bard Guide and Officer of Nuln Highway Boys

So the ability is considered a spell but derives its bonuses from attack power instead of spell power?

It benefits from both. AP increases your weapon damage, while SP increases the life damage.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Lemniscate View Post
    It benefits from both. AP increases your weapon damage, while SP increases the life damage.
    Has this been tested? While it makes sense, our healing (Motif of Regeneration, Coda of Restoration) actually scale with Attack Power. Makes me wonder if we can actually 'double dip' for ability scaling, even though it's not very feasible for us to stack Spell Power anyways.
    Last edited by Marduke; 02-20-2011 at 10:23 AM.

Figured I'd toss this in here just to confirm a few things when I was messing with builds:

Coup de Grace in Nightblade: Improves damage of all finishers by 15%. Does this inadvertently affect our non-damage finisher Coda of Restoration?

Hellfire Blades in Nightblade: Does this weapon enchantment proc off our abilities like Cadence? If so then would the Melted Skin skill also work to improve Cadence damage and thus Healing?

Unstable State in Nightblade: Similar question as the first one, does the 9% non-physical damage boost affect any of our Healing other than Cadence via Invigorated Soul?

I assume some of these to be a simple "No, it says damage, not healing." But I just wanted to confirm since aside from the Bard, all other forms of Rogue Healing are proc effects and not actual spammable skills or finishers.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Fasc View Post
    Figured I'd toss this in here just to confirm a few things when I was messing with builds:

Coup de Grace in Nightblade: Improves damage of all finishers by 15%. Does this inadvertently affect our non-damage finisher Coda of Restoration?

Hellfire Blades in Nightblade: Does this weapon enchantment proc off our abilities like Cadence? If so then would the Melted Skin skill also work to improve Cadence damage and thus Healing?

Unstable State in Nightblade: Similar question as the first one, does the 9% non-physical damage boost affect any of our Healing other than Cadence via Invigorated Soul?

I assume some of these to be a simple "No, it says damage, not healing." But I just wanted to confirm since aside from the Bard, all other forms of Rogue Healing are proc effects and not actual spammable skills or finishers.
    Personally tested this so we can answer the questions once and for all, without just assuming.

1) Coup de Grace does not affect Coda of Restoration.

2) Hellfire Blades (and Virulent Poison in Assassin tree) do not proc from Cadence.

3) Unstable State does not affect healing for Motif of Regeneration, or Coda of Restoration.

The results were as expected, but this has been tested, so now we can spread the truth and not just assume they don't work.

Score, thanks a lot.

In my testing Cadence was un effected by anything.
    I had weapons on, I switched highest damage weapon to main hand. Tried Dex bonus and spell damage bonuses. Nada difference.
    I took all weapons off even my Bow. No change.

The Cadence damage stayed the same. give or take the fluctuation of 1 point here and there.
    The difference came only when I used a finisher. Then the spell power, or dex improved the damage.
    I noticed dex was doing it better. So this whole spell power thing I think is wrong for bards. Dex is the factor. I suppose atk power might also.

Rift Disciple

How are you casting Cadence with no weapon equipped?

And while it's not a hugely noticeable damage difference, it's still there. I was able to produce lower damaging numbers with a lower level weapon that I could not reproduce with a higher level weapon.

Also, there was noticeable difference in damage with my gear off, and with it on. Not sure why you were not experiencing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Marduke View Post
    How are you casting Cadence with no weapon equipped?

And while it's not a hugely noticeable damage difference, it's still there. I was able to produce lower damaging numbers with a lower level weapon that I could not reproduce with a higher level weapon.

Also, there was noticeable difference in damage with my gear off, and with it on. Not sure why you were not experiencing that.
    Cadence does not need a weapon to use. But stats always help. Cadence never crits , well at least I have never seen it crit.
    The only damage increase is from rank increases of the skill.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by P-51 View Post
    Cadence does not need a weapon to use. But stats always help. Cadence never crits , well at least I have never seen it crit.
    Are we playing the same game?

Cadence most definitely requires a weapon to be equipped, to be used. In fact, Coda's do also.

And yes, Cadence can crit - and it absolutely scales with Attack Power (the Dev's have confirmed this).
    Last edited by Marduke; 02-20-2011 at 11:42 PM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by P-51 View Post
    stop spreading misinformation. Cadence 100% REQUIRES a weapon to be equipped to be used. And it 100% benefits from attack power bonuses. Get past lvl 2 on your bard please before posting ******** like this.

+ Reply to Thread