+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New to mmo's - best lvling rogue build

Shadowlander

Default New to mmo's - best lvling rogue build

I have never played an mmo and was wondering what you guys thought the best leveling rogue build would be. I would like to stay alive and not try to manage to many skills at once. I have been trying the warrior riftblade and love it, but it will probably be nerfed. Any input would greatly be appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by canejon View Post
    I have never played an mmo and was wondering what you guys thought the best leveling rogue build would be. I would like to stay alive and not try to manage to many skills at once. I have been trying the warrior riftblade and love it, but it will probably be nerfed. Any input would greatly be appreciated
    Well, for a noobie, this is quite easy.

You want a pet, something to take damage for you, and you want to stay away from the ****storm of mobs. You'd want to heal, and you want buffs.

MM/Ranger/Bard

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...zz.EMof0x0c.Ec

You'll cruise to 50

Rift Chaser

At lvl 30 you will need to spec hvy into ranger to get the greater Razorpig too.

This isnt a problem because you get access to 4 roles total.

The razorpig is a great tank.

There are three pets but only one can tank.

Shadowlander

thanks for all the help

I totally agree with iontheable. For new players who want to solo, it does not get better than Ranger/Bard/Other. Make sure that your bard has 12 points and that those points at least include Invigorated Soul and Anthem of Glory (it buffs your pet's armor too, which is good).

Here is my personal leveling build:
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M....VMcf0xkco.VIz

I take Assassin instead of Marksman since I like sneaking past all the enemies when I don't need to kill them (and you can instantly re-summon your pet after stealthing with Hasten Call), but it is all a matter of preference, Marksman has more raw damage while Assassin relies on being crit happy. You could take Saboteur as your third soul, but I don't find that it synergizes as well as Assassin or Marksman.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by iontheable View Post
    Well, for a noobie, this is quite easy.

You want a pet, something to take damage for you, and you want to stay away from the ****storm of mobs. You'd want to heal, and you want buffs.

MM/Ranger/Bard

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...zz.EMof0x0c.Ec

You'll cruise to 50
    Looks excellent, ty for posting it. Only question I have is what order to put the points in?

Quote Originally Posted by NeqwportBox View Post
    Looks excellent, ty for posting it. Only question I have is what order to put the points in?
    You're most welcome.

Start off with Ranger, get to the third tier and go 2/2 Bestial Fury, from there start getting some points into the Bard.

12 points into Bard, for Motif of Regen, after that; second tier in the MM tree, go 3/3 Sharpshooter.

From there just keep piling points into Ranger and eventually when you're maxed for that level- spend your leftovers into MM.

Personally, I would get 'on the double' early on..it's an amazing feat.

So, this is just how I would go about it, you always want to keep points into Ranger to max out your pet, and as far as points into MM, it's basically your choice; essentially, anything to maximize your damage.

Good luck and have fun.
    Last edited by iontheable; 02-20-2011 at 04:50 PM.

iontheable, I made a few adjustments to your build and I will tell you why.

First, in bard: Good Health is a pretty useless ability for a ranged PvE leveling spec, especially one with a pet since you should never get hit. On the rare occasion that you are hit, you want to take less damage (hence 3/3 street smart) since your bard's heals will not heal you as fast as you take damage and they are not percent based heals (unlike a tank who wants more health so that he can survive until the next big heal). Also, any bard with a pet defiantly wants anthem of glory since it buffs your pet's armor (and your pet indeed SHOULD be the one getting hit, so more armor is great).

Second, in Marksman: Keen eye is not such a great ability if you have a pet since you are not relying on getting in as many shots as possible before the enemy closes in on you, keen eye becomes much more useful in a MM/Ranger build that does not use the pet. I put those points into master archer to directly increase your damage output instead.

Third, in Ranger: You definitely want to spend 1 point in King of the Jungle! If you are that deep in (26 points), for just 1 point you get +25% pet damage and +45% pet AoE dodge. You'll also want to spend one point in Piecing Shot since it is a direct DPS increases and another in Hasten Call since it allows you to immediately recall your pet in battle in case you previous one dies.

This is the build I would recommend:
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M....AM0fzxoco.VIz

The link above has the skills that are what I consider to be "set in stone" as in your can not go without. There are 5 unspent points which you can spend on other abilities which are all a matter of personal preference. Abilities like Static Shot, Crippling Shot, Close Quarters Combat, and Repelling shot are all great if your pet dies or you do not want to use your pet sometimes (and useless while your pet is alive and being used correctly). If you are on a PvP server, On the Double, Hasty Departure, Improved Escape Artist and especially Getaway are great. Enduring is good for extra survivability, Exposure is good for a little more DPS and Rain of Arrows and Trick shot add AoE.

i see u guys dont like respec'ing

i say this cause really, u dont need to put points into ranger till 31 when ur pet sux. go 10 bard for the run buff then spam MM with all the speed increasing talents to speed urself to 31, then respec to the above builds...

also i dont waste time with motifs, it's 2 gcds i coulda used running to the next mob as they dont make me kill even 1 shot faster than without them... also if u play right u dont even need bard lvls once u get a good rotation with ur haste shot cause the pet literally goes to full hp out of combat within 2 seconds (the time it takes to run to the next mob) so as long as ur pet is tanking u can fight infinitely without healing once...

after tons of testing 30+ im spec'ing out of bard and into NB for the extra dmg and faster leveling. just the early lvls bard is the best, most dmg and survivability of any rogue class 1-12 but ill def spec out of it im thinking.

There is one thing many people overlook with the bard, 8 points in and you get motif of focus which I use every pull. One GCD for 5% crit (before I even pull) for both me an my pet is nothing to sneeze at, especially when MM is getting you an extra 25% dps as soon as you crit because of Increased Fire Power and putting your pet into a rage every time it crits too (for 15% more damage). I rarely use the motif of regeneration except when things get really hairy, it is just an oh sh** button. I guess from that perspective, just 8 points in bard is all you REALLY need. 8 points for 5% crit to me and my pet, the ability to heal my pet when it is in over its head, and an armor buff to my pet is WELL worth the points.

+ Reply to Thread