+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Riftstalker Hate?

Soulwalker

Default Riftstalker Hate?

Anyone else tanking as a Riftstalker getting abunch of hate for "not being an actual tank class?" They like to claim that if you're not running around in mail gear than you're not a tank.

I've tried explaining how it works to three different groups now (having successfully tanked IT before these three groups started exclaiming this nonsense) and it falls upon deaf ears. Avoidance tanks are tanks too, right?

Quote Originally Posted by knubert View Post
    Anyone else tanking as a Riftstalker getting abunch of hate for "not being an actual tank class?" They like to claim that if you're not running around in mail gear than you're not a tank.

I've tried explaining how it works to three different groups now (having successfully tanked IT before these three groups started exclaiming this nonsense) and it falls upon deaf ears. Avoidance tanks are tanks too, right?
    Low level people know nothing, riftstalkers tank just fine.
    Briarcliff I make em scream.

Quote Originally Posted by Selenity View Post
    I'm not sure if you are talking to him or me. But I do care. I even care about what would bring you to the place that you would put such pictures on your profile.

Telaran

tried that lol
    someone asked in general chat if rogues could tank and i answered yes, and then the flame war started

We're not even Avoidance Tanks either, we're Absorption Tanks, significantly reducing our damage intake with appropriate use of finishers. If they don't listen, they aren't worth your time, plain and simple.

The anti-non-Warrior-Tank mentality is likely never going to go away until a game is made that doesn't even have the word "Warrior" in it, and even then...

You still have people on WoW that seem to think that Paladins or Death Knights or Druids are incapable of Tanking. I had a random LFD group literally go nuts on me for 10 minutes as I chain pulled with minimal Healing (because the Healer was part of the rabble rousing crowd) before they left in disgust when I refused to leave. The lone guy that stayed was like "Lol?" and we kept trucking until the group auto-filled again. I suppose if I was poorly geared it might have made sense but when the group is all greens/blues and a Tank waltzes in wearing full epics... people are dumb, plain and simple.

Thumbs up Riftstalkers tank just fine

I've played a prot warrior tank in WoW for the last 5 years and i find it a welcomed change to play a tank with different mechanics. Thats the reason i chose a riftstalker to begin with. Pay no attention to the naysayers, you will just waste your energy trying to change their misconceptions. Keep on Tankin!

Given every instance in this game has been easier then I ever expected, we had a riftstalker tank just fine in Lantern Hook or whatever the freaking 44 dungeon is.
    Briarcliff I make em scream.

Quote Originally Posted by Selenity View Post
    I'm not sure if you are talking to him or me. But I do care. I even care about what would bring you to the place that you would put such pictures on your profile.

Quote Originally Posted by Fasc View Post
    We're not even Avoidance Tanks either, we're Absorption Tanks, significantly reducing our damage intake with appropriate use of finishers. If they don't listen, they aren't worth your time, plain and simple.

The anti-non-Warrior-Tank mentality is likely never going to go away until a game is made that doesn't even have the word "Warrior" in it, and even then...

You still have people on WoW that seem to think that Paladins or Death Knights or Druids are incapable of Tanking. I had a random LFD group literally go nuts on me for 10 minutes as I chain pulled with minimal Healing (because the Healer was part of the rabble rousing crowd) before they left in disgust when I refused to leave. The lone guy that stayed was like "Lol?" and we kept trucking until the group auto-filled again. I suppose if I was poorly geared it might have made sense but when the group is all greens/blues and a Tank waltzes in wearing full epics... people are dumb, plain and simple.
    RS/BD. The unholy union of Avoidance and Absorption tanking. My build, give or take a couple levels: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...MM.xItbuozozoM
    Last edited by Selgin; 02-19-2011 at 12:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Ahh, but the game isn't the problem. The problem is that someone who can neither write nor think is inexplicably unhappy with something.

Soulwalker

Best thing about a riftstalker, for tanking in everything all you need is 30 or 29 points into RS. Then you can put the rest into bard like I did, and sit there tank everything, buff and heal your party. Its quite OP. But well worth it, eliminates the need for another rouge to go bard. This way you can maximize buffs, tank, and back up heal, and maximize DPS from the group.

Quote Originally Posted by MopDaddy View Post
    Low level people know nothing, riftstalkers tank just fine.
    *cough* id hate to tell this to the warriors and clerics out there but.... riftstalkers tank better than anyone at the lvl 18-22 range for IT. avoidance tanking makes that dungeon a complete and utter joke, the first boss cannot even stack his bleed enough to do dmg to you at all, the healer literally afks this fight, and the aoe threat is insane!

but they aren't a button mash class, u have to keep all your avoidance/buffs up at all times or you can die super fast, but once they are up, healers can go to sleep cause you dont require healing.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Hokonoso View Post
    *cough* id hate to tell this to the warriors and clerics out there but.... riftstalkers tank better than anyone at the lvl 18-22 range for IT. avoidance tanking makes that dungeon a complete and utter joke, the first boss cannot even stack his bleed enough to do dmg to you at all, the healer literally afks this fight, and the aoe threat is insane!

but they aren't a button mash class, u have to keep all your avoidance/buffs up at all times or you can die super fast, but once they are up, healers can go to sleep cause you dont require healing.
    The point is, Riftstalker isn't actually an "avoidance" tank. At 33 with a handful of blues I'm sitting at 8.x% dodge and 2.5% +/- parry. I'm just over 10% total "avoidance" and could push 15% if I totally went all out for tanking with Blade instead of Bard for solo play as well. You'll probably find the warrior tank classes in the same range, possibly with higher parry (from STR) instead of dodge. Or even slightly lower to make up for the armor/health they have over us.

The reason Riftstalker is is performing so well at lower levels is, if the player is good at managing the finishers, they are constantly mitigating some of all incoming attacks. A warrior or cleric who is blocking is getting hit full force -when they don't block-. Now at later levels this may come back to bite us on the rear. If the bosses of end game are collapsing the absorb effect in only a few swings, Riftstalker tanking will be challenging, to put it mildly.

I did some numbers and a boss would have to do around the rift stalkers entire health in damage, every second, to be able to drop rift guard faster than you could reapply it. =P

Properly maxed out of course.

I think that if the boss is doing that much damage your healers are going to have a hard time keeping you up anyway. Because even taking all possible damage mitigation into consideration they would still be doing like 25% of your health every second in damage.
    Last edited by Vabjekf; 02-19-2011 at 11:00 PM.

Telaran

Riftstalkers tank fine. If people are complaining, show them Guardian Phase and say "That's almost a copy/paste of the bearform buff".

That ought to shut them up for a while.
    (Hey, one can only hope )

Oh, and half an hour yelling for a tank in the level channels will probably... soften people up

It'll happen. I sat and watched for nearly an hour on my chloromancer as a group shouted for a healer and after ignoring my tells specified they wanted 'cleric healz' in their lfm shouts.

And people do the same thing with me on my rifstalker, at times.

And people will shout they're looking for a cleric then GTG, so a cleric joins, isn't a healer, doesn't have a healing spec, and the groups is SoL.

This happened for a long, long time in Vanguard with blood mages, despite them even being listed on character selection screens as HEALER very clearly.

Summary: people are ignorant, and think of it as a way to avoid them by them idiotically avoiding you first. What will be bad is when they finally get a clue, as you'll then end up being invited to groups with these morons. :P
    -According to a Facebook quiz, I'm a genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Glandur View Post
    Riftstalkers tank fine. If people are complaining, show them Guardian Phase and say "That's almost a copy/paste of the bearform buff".

That ought to shut them up for a while.
    (Hey, one can only hope )

Oh, and half an hour yelling for a tank in the level channels will probably... soften people up
    Meh I remember missing a week of ICC with my guild so I tried to just jump into a PuG for badges, knowing not a single hardmode was going to happen. Despite being nearly BiS minus Heroic LK loot as a Feral Tank, they refused to let me come because the ICC debuff was minus Dodge and that's all a Druid can do so clearly Druids are the most gimp Tank of all four in ICC...

I was tempted to show how it hurt Druids the least but decided against it while thanking my good luck for NOT joining a group that bad. I joined a different one that had a Tank bail on them at Saurfang and we finished really quick. When I got back to Dalaran, I saw that same group from before still spamming for a Tank because they had just barely downed Marrowgar and their's bailed.

Plane Touched

I've done basically all the instances so far as rifstalker tank, and chloromancer healing. When I look at the heals they pump out, they really can get some high heals going pretty often it surprises me. Sometimes I think it is more than a cleric can do.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast