+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Marksman without Ranger

Default Marksman without Ranger

Would it be viable at all to play a Marksman without a pet as a leveling spec? I know it should work just fine for dungeons or PVP but I'd like to have generally the same play style while leveling if possible. Right now I'm trying out Marksman/Riftstalker/Assassin and I'm doing okay, but I'm only level 7 so it's not much of an indication of things to come. Mobs seem to consistently get to me before I can kill them now.

Eh. I wouldn't advise going without ranger for leveling MM. If you don't have something holding aggro from you, you're forced to run around spamming your instants. You don't really get to make use of empowered shot or dead eye shot. This can lead to trouble if you're in an area where you don't have much room to kite without aggroing more mobs.

While I personally prefer to not have a pet, it's made my life a lot easier. I always ditch it when I'm not questing.

Yeah, that's what I was afraid would be the answer for the same reasons. :P Don't like having a pet, although I really wouldn't mind it too much if it were like WoW (gasp, saying something is better in WoW than in Rift? Hope I don't get banned) where Hunters get to pick their pets instead of everyone having the same freaky mutant thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddiursa View Post
    ... the same freaky mutant thing.
    This made me lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Groobie View Post
    This made me lol.
    How else would you describe that... thing? xD

Quote Originally Posted by Teddiursa View Post
    Yeah, that's what I was afraid would be the answer for the same reasons. :P Don't like having a pet, although I really wouldn't mind it too much if it were like WoW (gasp, saying something is better in WoW than in Rift? Hope I don't get banned) where Hunters get to pick their pets instead of everyone having the same freaky mutant thing.
    The thing that frustrates me the most about ranger is that it is an 8s cast time to summon it, which is standard for pet classes, however, the call time reduction skill is on a 2m cd (compared to say necro's 1m for instant pet) AND it costs us 100 energy, our ENTIRE resource bar. Now I understand that while soloing your pet really wont be dying that often so you wont really feel frustrated with the high cost and cast time as you can just use the summon time reduction cooldown; rather, its when doing warfronts and open world pvp where you will often die that this becomes of the greatest annoyance. I suggest either reduce the energy cost to 50 so we dont have to wait so long for our energy after respawning, OR reduce the summon time reduction cooldown to 1 min like necro in the mage calling.

Sorry if thats a bit off topic :P
    Last edited by Preyzz; 02-19-2011 at 04:04 AM.
    "Die and be free of pain, or live and fight your sorrows" (Auron, FFX)

Lol Marksman is fine without ranger..

Repelling shot + outstanding initial damage, static shot etc, its so easy to do this...
    If my guild tag is red to you, then your already dead...

Telaran

I was discussing this in another thread, to much ridicule. No, don't even bother. MM is a waste of time pre-20. It brings nothing to the table. For leveling, you want defense, and you want trees with crossover skills. MM gives you 0 survivability, and 0 crossover potential. It brings nothing to the table. i would recomend for instance nightblade. For 4 pts you get stealth, a ranged dot attack, a finisher, a better ranged combo attack than either rngr or mm, dmg wise, and in that it disorients, and 12% dmg to any combo attack. (as opposed to 12% to class specific attacks.) I mean, be honest, and this was the point to my other thread, as a 0 pt ability, mm brings nothing to the table, not even a finisher. That doesn't mean its a bad soul. Its just something you should respec into at higher lvls for specific tasks, such as pvp/raid dps. It is exceptional for these things. for leveling, you can do better.

Soulwalker

You can indeed use MM as a leveling spec, but I'd recommend starting with a melee Soul first, otherwise you'll spend the first few levels kiting your *** off. BTDT

Seems like people are still thinking in "that other game" mode about MM, don't forget that MM+melee Soul has much better melee capabilities than the hunter class from "that game".

At least in my limited experience..

Shadowlander

Telaran

WTF are you talking about? Lets see, at 0 pts MM gives you a combo attack. At 5 pts mm gives you 15% to mm abilities, a finisher, and a hi pt 2 pt combo attack, as a night blade, with 4 pts, I get better melee/ranged attacks, with a 2 second disorient, and stealth, toss in 2 pts of bard, a better finisher, that can be used at both range and stealth, and 12% dmg to all combo's and increased hp.

I'm just saying, you give me 20% armor reduction, now we're getting real. If you can't give me that out of mm, your just talkin bs. If i can out damge you with a nightblade/bard comb, and heal you at the same time, then what good are you?
    Last edited by Stormchaser; 02-19-2011 at 09:10 AM.

Soulwalker

Also has to do with how you like to play storm. Not everyone likes the melee type. I know I dont.

Anyways... at the OP. MM sucks if you have nothing to hold aggro to. The dps is great for PvE but you cant make full use of it because you probly wont kill the mob before they get to you. To split up your points into MM and some other melee soul isnt good because the dmg of both wont be any good which is a waste at low lvl's because your points are so limited.

Plane Touched

MM has skills that can be used at melee range, so it is actually doable without a pet. Ranger on the other hand can't use any ranged skills at melee range. Sure you can't do deadeye shot if they are up in your face, but rapid fire shot isn't a horrible finisher either. (I believe that is the one that can be used at melee range)

+ Reply to Thread