+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ranger vs Marksman

Telaran

Default Ranger vs Marksman

I just noticed a huge game inbalance. A 0 lvl ranger gets a pet, a combo pt shot and a finisher. In contrast a marksman only gets a combo pt shot. So as a 0 pt ability MM is pretty much useless, whereas a ranger not only gets the most powerful 0 pt ability in game for rogue, they also get a complete set of ranged attacks. So even without the pet, the ranger is more powerful at range than a marksman as a 0 pt class. (Which is kind of important in the starter zones when you are crunching pts.)

It seems to me this is backwards. Shouldn't the ranger get the pet and no finisher, and the marksman a finisher, that way both have 2 powers to start, and not the one with 3, and the other with only 1?

There is nothing "weak" in my Marksman/Assasin/Riftstalker

Aeon Knights are currently recruiting all Guardian classes - Contact Nerie on Steampike shard if you need a new casual & friendly home.

i am in love with marksman and his aoe air dmg skill even unbuffed to hit additional targets it`s awesome . i love to hit 3 targets for 100dmg each lol .
    Last edited by Spitefull; 02-18-2011 at 04:28 PM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Nexcin View Post
    There is nothing "weak" in my Marksman/Assasin/Riftstalker
    I think your missing the point. Why does the MM have to put 2 pts in skill for finisher and the ranger not? Why does the ranger get 3 starting skills and the MM only one?

I don't care about the overall class. That is off topic entirely. The topic is class balance as a 0 pt soul. At higher lvls a 2 pt skill vs a 0 pt skill isn't relevant. At 10th lvl that is very important. As a sub skill, thats 2 pts you have to spend in mm that you don't in ranger. That puts the MM as a subsoul two lvls behind the ranger.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Stormchaser View Post
    I think your missing the point. Why does the MM have to put 2 pts in skill for finisher and the ranger not? Why does the ranger get 3 starting skills and the MM only one?

I don't care about the overall class. That is off topic entirely. The topic is class balance as a 0 pt soul. At higher lvls a 2 pt skill vs a 0 pt skill isn't relevant. At 10th lvl that is very important. As a sub skill, thats 2 pts you have to spend in mm that you don't in ranger. That puts the MM as a subsoul two lvls behind the ranger.
    are you seriously complaining that 2 classes are imbalanced at lvl 1?

General of Telara

Because it really, really matters how things go down at level 1.

REALLY.

Cause that extra 10 minutes to lvl up twice makes a difference. There's plenty of other souls that don't start out well also... keep that in mind.

Plane Touched

The OP is talking about the fact that as a third soul in a build, often a soul will have zero points.

I think it's largely irrelevant because nobody is going to be using that cp builder or finisher except possibly bards, everyone else has their own.

If you have to put 2 points into marksman for a finisher, that means 2 points that aren't in your main or secondary tree.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Something View Post
    The OP is talking about the fact that as a third soul in a build, often a soul will have zero points.

I think it's largely irrelevant because nobody is going to be using that cp builder or finisher except possibly bards, everyone else has their own.

If you have to put 2 points into marksman for a finisher, that means 2 points that aren't in your main or secondary tree.
    Thank-you. Somebody gets it. This is absurd that I have people questioning something so obvious. I've only played the game about 6 hours between shifts. I'm trying to plan things out for when things go live. I want my bard heal, and I want stealth by lvl 12. I cannot do that with MM as a third soul. I can with ranger, and get a pet on top of it. That doesn't make any sense to me at all.

and I will say, I use both closers, the ranger and the sin, depending if I'm at range or melee. I suppose I could use the bard finisher at range, why even take mm then? Its just poorly designed as a starting class. It has no crossover ability, no finisher, no defense, very limited melee survivability. Your only strength is kiting, in zones that if you kite, you will die from extra adds.

Of course knowing this, I'll just go with ranger, because under 30 it is far more powerful as a 0 pt soul. It would be nice to have an option though. I'm trying to get a feel for both classes, to see if it is worth giving up the pet. There is no way to compare them though, not without more than one build, and multiple roles.

Its fine, as it stands the MM combo point builder is better then the ranger one, the speed boost at those first few levels keep you well out of range of anything you would need to kill by just strafing around it. I started as MM and only took 1 hit before level 5 and thats because i ran into a aggressive enemy, in addition the ranger skills with the exception of the pet all seem alittle weaker then the MM alternative, which is how it should be due to the pets of course.

why would trion balance trees around 0 point abilities? play the game a little more and you'll realize why a lot of people are making fun of this thread
    Bubbrubb / Eastern of <Missionary Impossible>

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Defacian View Post
    why would trion balance trees around 0 point abilities? play the game a little more and you'll realize why a lot of people are making fun of this thread
    I already understand. I've been around enough game forums to realize that they are frequented by idiots. Every other class has 2-3 0 pt skills, the MM alone has only 1. I've already stated the way around this. Play a ranger. Its no big deal. It doesn't matter at all. It just doesn't make any sense.

Nobody has yet given me an answer as to why they designed the class this way. I actually do have an answer. The class is designed for post 30 play as raid dps/pvp. It is not designed for leveling. Giving it a 0 pt finisher in no way changes that. It just makes it more viable pre-20-30

But what the hey, lets bring the idiots out and turn this into a flame war.

/flame on
    Last edited by Stormchaser; 02-19-2011 at 01:51 AM.

Soulwalker

need more cow bell and better lvl 1 balancing in this game

Telaran

I'm just saying; Give me a 0 pt finisher, and then at 2 pts, a single target 3 second snare on a 10 second timer.

There is way to much of this.. marksman's combo point builder is melee range if you want it, gives you a 15% speed boost, and after just two levels (omg two whole levels?!) We get a finisher thats getting its damage boosted from the talent we've been investing points in, and gives us a 30% speed boost.

Not only that! But if you happen to be level 3 then you probably already have a second soul which can be ranger if you really need that pet. Me personally, I don't need the pet, its not a huge concern, I can live without the ranged snare, better damage boosts from nightblade and assassin.
    If my guild tag is red to you, then your already dead...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast