+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Marksman vs Saboteur

Default Marksman vs Saboteur

Ok, I am in a bit of a pickle between Marksman/Ranger/Saboteur build vs Saboteur/ranger/?? build

I like playing both classes. Just not sure which one does more damage over the other one. For example. Marksman just stacks up combo points up to 5 times and then using a finishing move so I am constantly doing damage. Saboteur on the other hand builds up a stack of 5 charges and then detonates it. Each charge you set won't do damage until you detonate it.

So I'm just curious. Being a marksman and constantly doing damage, by the time I use a finisher, would I have done roughly the same amount of damage a saboteur would have done by detonating 5 charges? Or does a saboteur do more dps overall.

I like both classes. I'm just trying to gather which one I want to use as a main role. Does a saboteur have any flaws compared to a marksman or are they basically the same. In my eyes, Saboteur/Ranger/Bard maybe might be not such a bad idea since I can have most ranger points spent for my pet, saboteur abilities for damage and then bard for the extra buffs.

But not forgetting Marksman with the main abilities, again ranger for pet skills and I guess saboteur for the dexterity increase and possibly things like the adhesive bomb. Or swap the saboteur for bard since there are some skills that the ranger could use to replace the Adhesive Bomb but wiping out that extra dexterity buff.

So I just want to know what other people out there think about this. Let me know.

Shadowlander

Once people learn to cleanse sabs will suffer

I'm not necessarily talking about PvP. But when you speak of cleansing, are you talking about cleansing a stack of charges? Couldn't they just do the same with stacking marksman abilities?

I'm just asking about the differences between the both and what people think.
    Last edited by eXiilez; 02-17-2011 at 09:10 AM.

Shadowlander

Ya I was talking about removing charges. I actually like the uniqueness of the san but rolled Mm and love it. I can't really give u a reason why except that I feel like its a class I can play well. Back in wow I use to practice my kiting abilities in elites with my hunter so when istarted playing mm I was already good at it

As far as cleanse. Yes you can remove some dots from mm abilities but you can't cleanse combo points
    Last edited by skel1977; 02-17-2011 at 09:31 AM.

Plane Touched

Right now I'm running Sab/NB/Ranger. I'm focusing on PvP mainly and the thing I don't really like about the MM tree is having cast times on a lot of the better damaging abilities. PvE I guess it's not too important, but in PvP I just don't really want to be standing still for any amount of time, even if I do have the best range in the game.

As far as the damage, it seems like the ranged rogue souls are all in the same area, it's just how the damage is delivered (constant dps vs backloaded damage).

MM = kiting, more reliable burst, hit and run and rapid extrication are very important abilities i would think.

Sab - big backloaded damage, some great cc (conc charge and aoe snare puddle), great aoe (if you know when to use it it can wreck groups), combat survival ftw!

i think for endgame pvp your probably looking at the MM better for solo roaming and small groups (can kite forever, good skills for assisting with a group) and Sab probably better for larger scale fighting, so much aoe and can mix it with single target as needed.

Honestly just make a rolefor both and swap back and forth every half hour, after a while you'll figure out which you prefer.

Rift Chaser

Probably MM later... saw a lvl 42 marksmen vs lvl 42 pyro... Killed the pyro before Strafe had even worn off... less than 7 seconds. But the also had a sab spec that was equally 1 sided against the pyro lol

You can switch back and forth so
    Lotham City

Soulwalker

MM cant compare to sabs right now. I just did 95K 20/1 in codec. Lets see a MM pull that off at lvl 25. Sabs are kings of pvp right now if you have a decent healer on your side.

Im leaning towards Saboteur/Ranger/Nightblade or Riftstalker. Not sure which I want to go. Riftstalker has a better chance of survivability and a nice AP buff. Nightblade increases damage of finishing moves and abilities that use combo points.

So I am tossing up between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Viscous View Post
    MM cant compare to sabs right now. I just did 95K 20/1 in codec. Lets see a MM pull that off at lvl 25. Sabs are kings of pvp right now if you have a decent healer on your side.
    You likely had wings and/or spamming AoE. 95k isn't typical at those levels, def not for single target.
    Understanding the Sab
    http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...b-is-wild-card

50 Assassin/Riftstalker/Infiltrator
    Prestige 3

In my eyes, I see Saboteur better in PvE and PvP. A mob with about 1.5k health (level 24) I took down in 10.1 seconds. As Marksman it was about 12.3 seconds. I'm just not sure if I should use my third soul as Riftstalker or Nightblade.

Quote Originally Posted by eXiilez View Post
    In my eyes, I see Saboteur better in PvE and PvP. A mob with about 1.5k health (level 24) I took down in 10.1 seconds. As Marksman it was about 12.3 seconds. I'm just not sure if I should use my third soul as Riftstalker or Nightblade.
    Whats your 2nd soul? I have been using NB w/ Sab for the 15% finisher dmg and stealth. Just curious how others are rolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Sibylla View Post
    Whats your 2nd soul? I have been using NB w/ Sab for the 15% finisher dmg and stealth. Just curious how others are rolling.
    I have been playing with Sab/Ranger/Riftstalker. From what I can tell, Riftstalker is more for survivability where as Ngihtblade gives extra damage on finishers.
    Last edited by eXiilez; 02-17-2011 at 09:04 PM.

Tried different rogue souls since BETA 5 having played tank/cleric and my favourite build so far is MM/Rgr/NB. I guess this is one of the great things about the game is that there are so many ways to go and there isn't necessarily a "best" way. Whatever floats your boat. However, I have to agree that there seems to be a lot of crying about Sabs but I hope they don't bring the nerf bat to it because I'd prefer buffing other classes if needed.
    Savek
    Warrior Tank {Defiant}
    Proud Member of Element Zero {Ez0}
    www.ez-guild.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast