+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is it me or do Melee Rogues seem a bit..?

Soulwalker

Default Is it me or do Melee Rogues seem a bit..?

Just been playing one this Beta, and I have no survivability, little CC and my burst is laughable, anyone else experiencing this? Or is it just my fail gameplay?

Shadowlander

Rogues f me up.

Quote Originally Posted by Noxxy View Post
    Just been playing one this Beta, and I have no survivability, little CC and my burst is laughable, anyone else experiencing this? Or is it just my fail gameplay?
    What level? I found that I did well as an Assassin in the 1-10 range, but struggled between 10-15 (especially in PvP). They really seem to start to mature after that.

I enjoy each of the melee rogues for what they can do, i do not focus on what they can't.
    Last edited by Telal; 02-17-2011 at 08:14 AM.
    Therylin - R5 Healer
    Thericia- R4 Rogue

Ascendant

I'm running a blade dancer/assassin... heavier on the blade dancer, but only level 10. I have noticed I die a lot, and can only kill one mob at a time... on the other hand, as long as I focus on one enemy at a time there is no real downtime, and I kill enemies much faster than my AoE/self-healing characters.

So... who is to say what is a more efficient way to level overall? If I can kill four enemies in a row, back to back... and you can kill four enemies at the same time... but each way takes about the same amount of time...

See where I'm going with this?

That said, I'm starting to suspect that in order to play solo as a melee rogue you HAVE to invest in Riftstalker. I will be testing this later but I think even two points will give you about 50% more armor with the finisher, which should go a really long way.

At the end of the day this Bladedancer/Assassin will have the DoT super-crits, about a 30% crit chance, and then also all the dodge/parry attacks that come with Blade dancer... so if you hit a lucky streak and get a bunch of good rolls you can burst up your damage to obscene levels, I would think. Each critical hit is triple damage, and every dodge or parry not only deflects damage from yourself, but also harms the enemy.

I have seen posts like this before, as well as coming from the warrior community. From everything I've read...the higer level you get, the more melee will begin to shine. I played assassin at level 12-13 ish and it was terrible. However, you can't reallt judge a class by its performance in one small level range. The higher you get, the more stuns and rogue tools you get to make melee manageable. Stick with it.
    Finkle: Dwarven Rogue
    Vanguard

Soulwalker

Use Ranger as your third soul to get through the early levels, the pet is quite useful. Once I get into the 20's I'll most likely respec and lose the Ranger soul, but the pet is getting me through the early levels nicely.

Blade dancer is a very defensive soul in some ways (depending on how you spend points in it) it's a great match for Riftstalker for tanking. I enjoyed Nightblade with Assassin - DPS seemed interesting and good

Unless you like playing defensively - then perhaps the Riftslaker/ Bladedancer/ Bard is something you might enjoy

I have a level 21 Riftstalker/Bladedancer/Nightblade, and I find I don't have a lot of problems unless I don't pay attention to my target's health and combo points. My spec may also have something to do with it... I emphasized dodge, attack power, and Endurance, and I have the ability (forget what it's called) that heals you based on how many combo points a target has when it dies.

The result is a solid solo build with some AoE & ranged capability and survivabilty. The main downside is that elites tear me apart rather quickly. I have not tested this build in PvP yet, but I expect I will be able to soon.

Soulwalker

Repeat this mantra.......

I am a rogue and my dps is for those that will not notice me. I am a rogue and my dps is for those that cannot nuke me. I am a rogue and my dps is for those that are already below half their hit points.

If you are having trouble in PvE, then you suck. Perhaps I should suggest you be a bard.

Rogues are fine, it's healing that's broken.

A class that has burst is useless if that burst can be outhealed.

The problem with melee rogues is that you can't properly apply it because you need to get past enemy lines and avoid being CCd completely, thus they either need to ramp up the damage, give us more anti-CC or simply let itemization solve it, the later being the approach that I assume they're taking. I assume so because the higher you get, the better we seem to scale.
    Last edited by Sensational; 02-17-2011 at 07:31 PM.

http://SVentures.guildpower.com

Quote Originally Posted by Fuinir View Post
    Meat shield/meat lance. Meat jousting? Come find out who has the better meat! Lance against Lance!

Alright, last night I respecced my 21 Rogue to focus on Assassin. I went 21 Assassin, 4 Riftstalker, and like 3 in Nightblade or some such thing. I did pick up "perma-stealth" and 2/2 silent footsteps.

I have changed my tune from when I was level 12. It's night and day. I was absolutely fine in PvE against multiple mobs my level. I went into the warfronts, and as you know I was WAY outleveled, and I still held my own and took top 5 in killing blows. Stealth let me get into position, the rest took care of itself.
    Finkle: Dwarven Rogue
    Vanguard

Telaran

I think rogues are fine....personally I think people start to spread the points to other souls too early or too much, thus gimping themself. I start my first character that way. On my new character I stuck to one soul till I got a short term goal, then added to a new soul, it made a huge difference. You really have to have a plan on where you want to go in that one soul then move to the next. On my Sin I started adding points till i got to Silent Footsteps, then started the Riftstalker soul,...etc.

I think melee starts to shine at 20+ when you have enough branch/root skills to form more effective combos.

Telaran

At level 28 I can kill equal level healers just fine on my assassin. Two people? I'm screwed. Higher level healer? It gets dicey. 1 vs 1? no problem.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast