+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Marksmen / Rangers

Default Marksmen / Rangers

How are they? I'm kind of interested in created one at launch (mostly
    because my 18 Cleric and 18 Mage both don't grab my attention...)
    I've watched some PvP videos, and from what I can see they seem to have
    slightly low damage... as if they're meant to be a sustainable support
    class? In the 20-29 brackets I never saw a crit that was over 200 damage, and
    whenever there was the Ranger or MM solo'ing another player, it was a VERY
    long, slow fight and usually only ended because the Ranger / MM got some
    support.

Of course I'm not hoping for the "OPeasywin-facerolling" class, however I
    would enjoy a class that isn't completely gimped for 1v1'ing.

Any opinions?

Soulwalker

Well i think it might be useful for the 25% extra attackpower from crits and increased ranged buts thats all i can see, i went ranger/nightblade/marksman i get up to 350+ crits at lvl 22 and i get extra shots from double shot and hellfire blade proc's

You must have seen some awful videos, because marksman is easily one of the fastest killing classes there is. They can get crits higher than anyone except a sab or maybe a lucky pyro. Ranger does much lower burst dmg but with the pet can do sustained dmg and solo quite nicely.

Heh, yah I was looking at Ranger PvP videos...

Just searched a Marksman video, much better ;P I actually didn't even think about how
    the rogue combo-point type system still applies to the ranged souls, thats neat haha.
    Definitely different and interesting!

Also, yep the Marksman was getting 500-900 crits, which is really impressive imo

Shadowlander

Im marksman/ranger/assasin

Marksman is awesome for pvp. Ranger so far it seems not so good with marks. Pet is good for solo pve but not so much for pvp. Also a lot of marksman abilities like splinter shot and such are a lot like some of the marksman abilities and you wind up using either or but not both. Im looking for a better soul myself.

I took assasin for stealth but dont really use it so looking for a nother soul for that as well.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post

Marksman is awesome for pvp. Ranger so far it seems not so good with marks. Pet is good for solo pve but not so much for pvp. Also a lot of marksman abilities like splinter shot and such are a lot like some of the marksman abilities and you wind up using either or but not both. Im looking for a better soul myself.

I took assasin for stealth but dont really use it so looking for a nother soul for that as well.
    I macro splinter shot first tap and then Empowered shot second tap in my rotation in pve it saves a keypress.

To OP: Marksmans is great in pvp and mostly just a very fun soul to play. It was toned down a lot but still viable and very fun. The most fun class so far Ive tried.

The way I play MM/ranger is I go very MM heavy in PVP ; and then more Ranger Hvy in PVE as far as roles.
    The builds split different ways at around lvl 30. One build for both was okay from about 1-30ish.

I've had a zero point Assn soul.. but im stingy with points because right now MM and Ranger has such great stuff. I'm only lvl 30 now.

Although when I tried the Ranger hvy spec in PVP it was also good.

For just LVLING? MM /Ranger is great for that too.
    I havent tried MM/ranger/Bard and that might also be great solo.
    Last edited by Beans; 02-16-2011 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post

Hmm, the pet isn't too useful in PvP?

I was actually thinking about a type of Melee build with the Ranger pet, like Assassin/Riftstalker/Ranger, but
    I guess if the pet doesn't do much, that idea is out the window ;P

(Note, I wouldn't go into the Ranger soul, only have it in my build for the pet)

Soulwalker

In the 20-29 brackets I never saw a crit that was over 200 damage
    Not sure if something is out there that drastically drops the damage or something, but my level 10 MM/RG/NB is critting Deadeye Shot for 230-250 right now.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Kepps View Post
    Hmm, the pet isn't too useful in PvP?
    The pet sux for pvp in my experience.

I tried MM/bard/assn at level 19 in open world pvp. (mostly MM)

I wasn't able to put out enough damage to make it a very viable pvp build.

I just switched to Ranger/MM/Sab.

A HUGE, I'm talking huge advantage of having a ranger soul is the ranged snare. So much in fact that is why I took the Sab soul, no points gets you another snare you can use.

I had no snares as a MM, and that hurts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Effi View Post
    I have seen the desecrations they have done, the murders they have wrought, and it can be no sin to be the hand of justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    I've had a zero point Assn soul.. but im stingy with points because right now MM and Ranger has such great stuff. I'm only lvl 30 now
    How has that worked out for you? On my MM, I'm running a zero-point Sab for the AoE Snare, but I've considered swapping it out for the zero-point poison from Assassin. Higher damage / lower utility and survival, I'd imagine.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Pipra View Post
    How has that worked out for you? On my MM, I'm running a zero-point Sab for the AoE Snare, but I've considered swapping it out for the zero-point poison from Assassin. Higher damage / lower utility and survival, I'd imagine.

Be aware that I have two builds one is PVE and one is PVP.

In PVP strategy lvling build:
    I take the +5 meter range )no brainer.
    the PVP build I put 6 points in Ranger for +5% crit and Crippling Shot.
    The ranger snare is better in my opinion because it has a better c/d and I don't know if the SAB one goes to 35 range, but ranger will--which would make a gigantic difference.
    You also get Predatory Instincs at 6 points root in ranger which is a decent buff.
    I don't ever summon the pet in that build.

The goal of the pvp spec is to get to Strafe asap in MM and maintain 6 in Ranger while doing so. Extra points go to Assn in that build.
    Another important spot is to get the +15% chance to crit with deadeye/emp. The regular good stuff in MM. The two main bursts are obviously Hit n Run and Strafe.

After getting strafe in MM and 6 in Ranger--I start ranking Assn.

In PVE build SOLO lvling:
    I dont use the +5 meter range in pve.
    I went Ranger 10 points early for the Wolf (which the better PVE group pet) then ALL MM the rest of my points until LVL 30.
    Cripple Shot is still important in solo pve as well and so is on the double +snare/root break for mobs like spiders that web you etc.
    THEN
    At LVL 30 I respecced for the greater pet and put points in all souls more equally maintaining that greater Razorpig.. (Its such a better tank)
    This is when I split into the PVP build and a PVE one: Before this point in time one build was good enough for both PVE and PVP. Multiple roles really come into their own after a certain amount of lvls imo.

The run speed buffs and snare/root breaks are still very valuable in all settings so I have them all on both builds is my suggestion.

This worked awesome for me so far. I would have been lvl 42 easily with hours played but I messsed around on Defiant as a bunch of mage specs then rerolled to Guardian to see that side. I started my current MM kind of late in the game but im 30 now.

Also it took me a while to figure out PVE is faster xp than grinding Warfronts.
    Last edited by Beans; 02-17-2011 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    Be aware that I have two builds one is PVE and one is PVP.

Also it took me a while to figure out PVE is faster xp than grinding Warfronts.
    Thanks! This is all good stuff.

+ Reply to Thread