+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Weapon choice for Melee Rogues. Daggers or ?

Default Weapon choice for Melee Rogues. Daggers or ?

I searched and couldn't find a definitive answer to this. I'm playing a Nightblade/Sin/RS right now in Beta. I'm loving it, but my only question is on weapon choice. I prefer the double dagger playstyle personally. It's faster, it looks better on a rogue imo, and I just find it more fun. But, am I going to be gimping my DPS to any noticeable extent by selecting daggers over a sword/axe/mace? I haven't seen any talents specific to daggers etc which makes me think if everything works off Mainhand damage I'm going to be stuck rocking a big 'ol sword or the likes. Personally, I'd roll a warrior and spec Paragon if I wanted to do that

What stats should we be concerned with as a melee rogue in this game? Weapon DPS, or top end damage?

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Most abilities scale by weapon damage so using a weapon with a higher top end would make the most sense and since Backstab doesn't require a dagger, daggers are next to useless for melee rogues.

I agree though, the feel of dual daggers definitely feels better and more fluid but with the current mechanics, you're just gimping your damage by using them.(Offhand I'm not too sure on. Pretty sure we don't have any abilities that use offhand as a scale factor, so you could technically use a dagger in the OH since it would provide for poison procs.)

Thanks for the feedback. That's kind of what I suspected.

Yeah I found it odd that the Assassin soul in particular doesn't have any distinct advantages when using daggers... I picked them up from quests without thinking as I 'assumed' that backstab would require it, only to find that I was gimping myself.

Do any rogue melee souls benefit from daggers?

Champion of Telara

Dagger offhand for poison / weapon procs unless you are a Bladedancer and plan on getting attacked.

Ah so (For assassin) slow main hand with high top end + fastest possible offhand for proccing poisons? Sounds good.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Grantus_2011 View Post
    Ah so (For assassin) slow main hand with high top end + fastest possible offhand for proccing poisons? Sounds good.
    omg, just like wow lol

Shadowlander

Most abilities scale by weapon damage so using a weapon with a higher top end would make the most sense and since Backstab doesn't require a dagger, daggers are next to useless for melee rogues.

I agree though, the feel of dual daggers definitely feels better and more fluid but with the current mechanics, you're just gimping your damage by using them.(Offhand I'm not too sure on. Pretty sure we don't have any abilities that use offhand as a scale factor, so you could technically use a dagger in the OH since it would provide for poison procs.)
    There is so much WRONG in this reply, it saddens me.

All abilities are standardise. When using an ability, slower weapons have their weapon damage reduced by a certain % and fast weapon have their damage increased by a %. Whenever you use an ability, the only stats that matters on the weapon isthe "damage per second".

There are few reasons in this game to use slow weapons : Blade Dancer's strike back ability isn't affected by above rule. Also, a slow weapon will usually outdps a fast weapon if you are forced to move in and out of melee range frequently with a target (which happens a lot in pvp)

There is many reasons to use a fast weapon : Proc more weapon enhancement such has poisons and nightblade's buffs. Trigger activated ability such as abilities available when your opponent dodge your attack or when you score a critical hit (because those abilities are standardise also, so trigger more often and do the same amount of damage with a fast weapon)

For your answer regarding an assassin, double fast weapon is the best possible way to go. For a blade dancer, double slow weapons is the best way to go. For most (if not all) classes, fast weapons are better. If you have no procs, no strike back, nothing ... any weapon will do.
    Last edited by Shrodinger; 02-16-2011 at 05:56 PM.

Oh ok - cheers for clearing that up.

I wondered about this myself because in Aion it mattered. I always did d/s, with the d in the main hand for the speed for proccing crits and such.

Everybody dies but not everybody lives....

I switched to dual daggers and did an IT run. While I didn't have a parse going or anything it certainly "felt" like I was doing more dps than with the sword in my MH. lol... For whatever that's worth.

+ Reply to Thread