+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Jump Kiting?

Shadowlander

Default Jump Kiting?

Hello,

Can rangers and marksmen jump kite like a hunter in WoW?

Thanks!

no need, the speed buffs while shooting and snares should allow you to do most anything you want.
    riftstalker might be for you also.. quite a few youtube videos out there.
    Me: Zamphir Pet: Panflute
    Bard / Ranger / Rift
    If Bards get faster for every point over 36 (full Bard)

Koe

Yes, you can jump, 180, fire a skill, and 180 again before you land.

Quote Originally Posted by Koe View Post
    Yes, you can jump, 180, fire a skill, and 180 again before you land.
    this!

no idea what the other poster is/was talking about... had nothing to do with the OPs question at all...

but you are faster than mobs with MM and ur pet should help aggro 1 of them so it's not so bad even if u dont jump.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Hokonoso View Post
    this!

no idea what the other poster is/was talking about... had nothing to do with the OPs question at all...

but you are faster than mobs with MM and ur pet should help aggro 1 of them so it's not so bad even if u dont jump.
    Eh..
    Mobs will adjust to whatever speed you buff yourself with atm. I think its a bug because when I swift shot+haste shot the mobs get faster and faster (on the double too I think)..It doesn't work like that in pvp though thank god.

That makes it tough to kite petless as MM in solo pve nonstop though.

If you get a weak pet it can tank a few equal lvl mobs easily with a few ranger heals.
    Only tank with the pig.
    Last edited by Beans; 02-16-2011 at 06:29 PM.

Shadowlander

yes you can pvp kite although its not really necessary to jump shoot since you can simply run in one direction and face the camera a bit towards the guy you are firing at. You will still fire off shots like swift shot and auto attack if done correctly and its not that hard for anyone who has ever played a fps or wow hunter.. Especially easy with all the haste shots and effects you get.
    Last edited by skel1977; 02-16-2011 at 06:32 PM.

Koe

Quote Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
    yes you can pvp kite although its not really necessary to jump shoot since you can simply run in one direction and face the camera a bit towards the guy you are firing at. You will still fire off shots like swift shot and auto attack if done correctly and its not that hard for anyone who has ever played a fps or wow hunter.. Especially easy with all the haste shots and effects you get.
    You can't be facing completely backwards so, even in the highly unlikely situation, that you need to kite someone/something for a LONG time, then jump-shotting is optimal.

Rift Disciple

You can't be facing completely backwards so, even in the highly unlikely situation, that you need to kite someone/something for a LONG time, then jump-shotting is optimal.
    Hardly, its like its been said there is 0 reason to jump.shot. Just run with your back to them and angle the camera just right the swift/haste shot combo w/ barbed for extra luls.

Champion of Telara

To clarify for those that are "new to PvP" (or simply not that great at it / not observant / do not attempt to find their own methods of gameplay):

There is no effective reason to run directly away from your opponent, then jump 180, then attack, then spin another 180, and continue to run in the same direction you originally started.

The purpose of this maneuver is to lose no distance while acquiring line of sight to your chaser and attacking them.

Note that when you spin a full '360' degrees, there are two penalties you incur:

1. You will not actually land facing exactly the same direction you started. You do not have the precision to spin exactly 360 degrees. Give it up. (Note: it is actually possible, but highly unlikely, and if you need the explanation in this post, you probably can't do this anyways).

2. You spin the camera fast enough that you will have poor tracking of your surroundings and it will likely disorient you slightly.

The superior version of this is as the other poster said, but hopefully I can clarify in detail for those of lesser imagination:

1. You strafe sideways (same run speed as running forward) from your opponent. E.g., your opponent is directly to your right, and you strafe to your left. This means your opponent is 90 degrees to your right.

2. You turn 1 degree towards them. They are now approximately 89 degrees to your right. They are now within line of sight. You attack. And keep attacking pew pew pew pew pew pew pew.

3. You lose a very very very tiny amount of distance (probably less than you would lose by any shakiness in a fancy 360 spin), but gain stability in your battlefield awareness.

Overall you spend a lot less effort and attention being fancy when you can simply be effective.

Honestly I giggled every time I saw a Huntard do a 360 in midair to "jump kite".

you run at 100% speed while strafing and still can shoot so i just do that, my speed never lowers and i dont have to worry about messing up a jump.

but in pve i jump like a madman, like above posted said, mobs are so fast in pve, no way to outrun them lol, so i jump all the time as any type of clipping/collision with something else will cause the npc to miss you once or twice.

Rift Disciple

To add to what EasymodeX is saying. The mechanics in this game are NOT the same as WoW, or Warhammer Online, or LOTRO, or pretty much any other mmo. There will be differences.
    One of those differences being that ranged attacks have something like a 180 degree arc of effectiveness.
    As he said, you can strafe (at the same speed as running straight ahead) and still be able to ranged attack at will.

It may take some getting used to, but you CAN shoot people from the side while running away. Learn to use this ability!

+ Reply to Thread