+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Low level Riftstalker Tanking

Default Low level Riftstalker Tanking

I'm only lv. 20 at the moment, but I'd like to start tanking IT to get a feel for the mechanics. As far as spec goes, I'm RS/BRD/BLD but i'm not sure what the point priorities should be. Do I go for false blade in BLD first or get Anthem of Glory and Good health in bard?

This is what I've done so far: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0MVpc..xIt0zoz.x0z
    Last edited by fftide04; 02-16-2011 at 10:12 AM.

Soulwalker

Also interested in this info.

Rift Disciple

At level 20 you should be good for the first dungeon either way. There is an ongoing argument as to which is better bard or bd. If you want a 3rd option you could go with ranger, being able to have the pet off tank for you is a big help in the early dungeon. The pig is more than capable of tanking one dungeon mob for a fight at lvl 20.

Plane Touched

8 points into ranger to get 6% damage reduction is also a very good choice. I kinda like BD though for the 50% dodge panic button along with a dex buff.

Soulwalker

I'd recommend moving some points into rift barrier. Sure it doesn't stack with rift guard, but it gives you a barrier while you build combo points to your first rift guard. It'll also allow you to use your various shifts as smaller panic buttons if you need a shield right then but don't have combo points. I went health and anthem first, with zero point bd for the dodge cooldown.
    Last edited by Xzov; 02-16-2011 at 05:31 PM.

What i've heard is the 50% button gets you the time to stand there toe to toe quite often.
    Me: Zamphir Pet: Panflute
    Bard / Ranger / Rift
    If Bards get faster for every point over 36 (full Bard)

Soulwalker

I think your Soul choice is perfect. Minor tweak to your build imo

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0MVpc..xIt0h.x0z

I would drop Rift Guard and use Guarded Steel as a finisher instead. Pickup Rift Barrier and Improved Rift Barrier. when you hit lvl 21
    Last edited by stark27; 02-16-2011 at 08:38 PM.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by stark27 View Post
    I think your Soul choice is perfect. Minor tweak to your build imo

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0MVpc..xIt0h.x0z

I would drop Rift Guard and use Guarded Steel as a finisher instead. Pickup Rift Barrier and Improved Rift Barrier. when you hit lvl 21
    Rift guard is amazing and can be used alongside Guarded steel, since they last 30sec and 1min respectively. In fact, you can keep up rift guard, guarded steel, annihilate, and I'm sure you could keep up the 5% dodge ability from blade dancer too if you didn't have to target switch often.

I am currently using http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1MVpc..xIu0u0z.x0z and my next 3 points will be planar refuge > cap rift barrier. I find that I can mostly keep rift guardian up between pulls which renders barrier a little obsolete, but when it's down it's slightly painful, but you can put up a guard with your first cp anyway if it's a nasty pull.

You definitely don't need damage oriented talents, I don't lose threat.. ever. Shadow Blitz > Rift Disturbance and disturbance on cooldown seems to be enough threat thus far to hold off anyone my level, and that will only get easier with Imp. Guarded steel next tier.
    Last edited by Something; 02-17-2011 at 04:02 AM.

Rift Disciple

In my experience Blade dancer is exceptionally good value early on for the 50% dodge panic button, false blade and perhaps more importantly the +hit bonus. Most of our abilities rely on hitting something to build combos. Don't underestimate the power of having a high +hit as a rogue tank.

I would take the point out of Shadow Assault/Rift Barrier and put into Rift Scavenger. The extra healing is a nice bonus and can make a big difference over time, especially dealing with trash. Saving the healer mana for when they really need it is important at times. I simply don't use Rift Barrier because I don't phase into fights. It's a tad clunky, unreliable and frankly I like to have a bit of a run in to make sure people know I am going in to tank
    Last edited by Mesmer; 02-17-2011 at 05:01 AM.
    "Players are the deadliest game"

This is the internet: Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents

+ Reply to Thread