+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Blast charge vs sharpnel charge

Soulwalker

Default Blast charge vs sharpnel charge

A quick noob question. whats the use of blast charge after we learn higher damage charges with AOE like shrapnel charge?

or is it that blast charge with 50% ignore def does more damage compared to shrapnel charge?

If you're looking at the calculator it only shows you the level 1 damage. As you level, you'll train at the trainer to get the upgraded skills. Blast charge will always be higher damage than Shrapnel 1on1.

At least according to the wiki, highest rank of Blast is R10 with 102-106 base damage plus weapon. Highest rank of Shrapnel is R7 with 75-78 base damage plus weapon. I imagine Shrapnel (and likely Blast) to get another rank or two but since one is single and the other is AoE, it would be very odd if Shrapnel outperformed Blast in single target situations. However, note that high in the tree you have a 50% damage boost in the form of a DoT for Shrapnel and low in the tree you have the 50% armor ignore for Blast.

Also for consiration (although I'm not 100% on this having never played the build or crunched the numbers) you have Spike Charge as for the DoT it provides, don't know if you can keep that thing rolling or not.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by xNemYx View Post
    A quick noob question. whats the use of blast charge after we learn higher damage charges with AOE like shrapnel charge?

or is it that blast charge with 50% ignore def does more damage compared to shrapnel charge?
    At rank 5, for example, Blast Charge does 58-62 whereas Shrapnel Charge does 42-46. Not only that, but you don't always want to aggro EVERY ENEMY, especially in AoE groups where there are more than 2-3. You often won't survive if you do.

In addition, if you're speccing for high damage, you get a percentage bonus to your charges, combo point adding abilities, etc. In my case, I get...
    +15% from Increased Explosive Power
    +15% from Blazing Fury
    Which means that I'm actually doing 75.4-80.6 with Blast Charges (not counting armor ignore) versus Shrapnel Charge with 54.6-59.8. If I were to stack all 5 of the same charge, that's Blast with 390 average damage whereas Shrapnel brings in 286 average. Again, that's not even counting the 50% armor ignore.

In addition, it's the difference between tossing a bomb and blowing up the charges as soon as it hits, killing them in one go, and hitting them for half their health and having them pound on you/your pet until you can plant more charges (which isn't hard, but takes more time.)

Hope this helps.

+ Reply to Thread