+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rogue stealth abilities

Shadowlander

Default Rogue stealth abilities

After playing with the melee oriented rogues for awhile, I've come to find out that stealth is actually a very poor ability for PvE. Most of the time when used, even if you approach the mob from behind, it will turn around and attack you before you are close enough to use a stealth opener. At the very least, if you approach a mob stealthed from behind, it should not be able to see you and spin around to attack. Stealth mechanics definitely need some work for PvE so they are actually usable. As it stands, I can only use my stealth attacks when grouped and someone else engages first...rendering stealth an ability that I have to use just to click Assassinate...and nothing more.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Corvinna View Post
    After playing with the melee oriented rogues for awhile, I've come to find out that stealth is actually a very poor ability for PvE. Most of the time when used, even if you approach the mob from behind, it will turn around and attack you before you are close enough to use a stealth opener. At the very least, if you approach a mob stealthed from behind, it should not be able to see you and spin around to attack. Stealth mechanics definitely need some work for PvE so they are actually usable. As it stands, I can only use my stealth attacks when grouped and someone else engages first...rendering stealth an ability that I have to use just to click Assassinate...and nothing more.
    Hi, you got a ability (5sec) that increase your stealh skill which mean mob have more difficulty to see you when you run infront of them.

I don't see a problem with a mob turning around when you approche them from behind... you make "foot noise"... so use your 5sec skill.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by cyraxi View Post
    Hi, you got a ability (5sec) that increase your stealh skill which mean mob have more difficulty to see you when you run infront of them.

I don't see a problem with a mob turning around when you approche them from behind... you make "foot noise"... so use your 5sec skill.
    If a second ability is needed to make stealth even work, it should be granted at the same time at stealth, which it isn't. I do not expect to be able to stand in front of a mob while stealthed and have it never see me...however, I do expect to be able to sneak up behind it while stealthed to use an ability like Assassinate, which can only be used while stealthed...and stealth can't be used in combat. It seems the 5 second ability should be used for walking in front of them, or amongst many mobs so you can sneak through...it shouldn't be just so stealth works so you can attack a lone mob. Its simply silly that you can't even sneak up on something to use an attack while BEHIND it. Even if I stealth a ways off, and always stay behind it, it still spins around and attacks before I can.

Incapacitate the mob. You then have 45 seconds to position yourself behind the mob, light a cigarette, crack open another beer, kick your cat and pick your nose before you attack the mob... hell, if the booger is really lodged in there you could even incapacitate the mob again.
    Last edited by -Korrigan-; 02-15-2011 at 06:13 PM.

Soulwalker

I've come to find out that stealth is actually a very poor ability for PvE. Most of the time when used, even if you approach the mob from behind, it will turn around and attack you before you are close enough to use a stealth opener. At the very least, if you approach a mob stealthed from behind, it should not be able to see you and spin around to attack.
    Learn to make use of the skill "Incapacitate"

Shadowlander

The point I was making is...until you gain these skills...you have 2 useless abilties. Stealth should be workable on its own

Shadowlander

The point I was making is...until you gain these skills...you have 2 useless abilties. Stealth should be workable on its own
    Really? So the ability to pass unnoticed by all those mobs is useless?

Don't get so close to higher level mobs, use Elusiveness better/more often and practice using Incapacitate.

Stealth is a 4 point root, Incapacitate a 6 and Elusiveness is 10, hardly a massive investment to effectively cut out fights you don't want to partake in.

Telaran

Personal opinion here, but...I'm quite happy with stealth. Even if an enemy does turn around, melee range is long enough and the delay to break is high enough that you can do a clutch "surprise face stab" and still get off your opener. So if your reactions are quick you can still get your moves off. However, if you approach like an idiot you'll still get caught.

Anyways, huge stealth freak here. Been playing stealth games since the original Thief, so maybe I'm biased. Stealth is fine in PvE. Haven't tested in PvP.

Absolutely agree there is no reason why mobs should see you even if stand before them no way stealth must be fixed .
    Last edited by Spitefull; 02-16-2011 at 03:55 AM.

Soulwalker

I see no problem to stealth behind, but you need silent footstep. And yes you must be lvl12 for that. But before lvl12 you kill mobs faster without stealth so i don't see any problem

Telaran

When I had it at first i thought the same way Corvinna do.
    After practicing a little I learned how the game "think" about stealth.
    You are not invisible/inaudible, you are just hidden so mob can feel/hear/smell you if you get too close to them.
    Try to approach from behind taking a little more time do circumnavigate them and don't get too near to them. If a rogue tried to pass under my nose while hidden I would spot him becuse he would touch me!
    Stay at melee range limit and stab from there!
    If the mob has a good sesitivity he would turn toward you, but you can still incapacitate him and stab!

Quote Originally Posted by -Korrigan- View Post
    Incapacitate the mob. You then have 45 seconds to position yourself behind the mob, light a cigarette, crack open another beer, kick your cat and pick your nose before you attack the mob... hell, if the booger is really lodged in there you could even incapacitate the mob again.
    You just got yourself "signaturized".
    Play to Crush.

Sid
    Plane Touched

A lot of people invest 5 points in Sin just for the +5% crit chance. In return they get stealth also. They should not get a great stealth ability for only investing 5 points in a soul, period.

Elusiveness is an amazing skill, which requires investing 10 points in the assassin soul. When used right it is extremely effective! Again, this only requires 10 points so it helps give an advantage but your still not a "true" assassin.

Silent Footsteps is the bread and butter for a true assassin. This is the skill that separates a true melee rogue from the rest that are only using the assassin soul for a few damage bonuses.

The soul's are configured as they are for a reason.. If you want to have a stealth skill to help in a few situations invest a couple points in the assassin soul... If you want to be able to stealth effectively, well you know what needs to be done.
    HW: DD Water Box | i7 920 D0 @ 4.1GHz 1.294v | EVGA x58 SLI LE | OCZ 6GB DDR3 1600 | HD 6870 CrossFireX 980/1150 | 9800GT Eco Hybrid Physx | Vertex 2 SSD | Ultra X-3 1,000w psu | Win7 x64

WC: Apogee XT WB | EK-FC6870 x2 | Black Ice Xtreme II D12SH-12 pull | MCP355 XSPC Acetal Top | PrimoFlex Pro LRT 1/2" x 3/4" | Fluid XP Phantom Black

I think you are just terrible. I have never had a problem landing a stealth opener. What's wrong with you.

Sid
    Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Fiasco3 View Post
    I think you are just terrible. I have never had a problem landing a stealth opener. What's wrong with you.
    Not everyone is made to play a melee rogue
    HW: DD Water Box | i7 920 D0 @ 4.1GHz 1.294v | EVGA x58 SLI LE | OCZ 6GB DDR3 1600 | HD 6870 CrossFireX 980/1150 | 9800GT Eco Hybrid Physx | Vertex 2 SSD | Ultra X-3 1,000w psu | Win7 x64

WC: Apogee XT WB | EK-FC6870 x2 | Black Ice Xtreme II D12SH-12 pull | MCP355 XSPC Acetal Top | PrimoFlex Pro LRT 1/2" x 3/4" | Fluid XP Phantom Black

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast