+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bard and what....

Rift Disciple

Default Bard and what....

What would work well with bard in more of a support role? Thoughts?

Shadowlander

With my spec I have taken nightblade and riftstalker, I think that compliments bard well as a support roll, you get extra dmg from Nightblade with 8 points and some survivability from riftstalker

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by macfrenchfry View Post
    I have been looking at the soul builder today trying to come up with something to try when I get home. Looking at the souls it seems to me that Ranger and Riftstalker might be good choices. One thing that I find particularly interesting would be obtaining the lvl 8 Ranger ability Divert Rage that allows you to transfer all threat generated to your pet for 10 seconds. It seems like this would be a great ability to use in combination with w/ 5 seconds of Cadence (including lvl 3 Invigorate soul) and a finisher like Coda of Fury (ae). Can anyone tell me from experience if the threat generated from/on a pet transfers over to you when it dies or not? Seems like you could send in your pet and use it like a disposable DOT, while transferring all the threat you generate to it while it dies.

Again, I haven't played this combo yet so I willl be giving it a go this evening.

-DB
    Last edited by Databomb; 02-15-2011 at 11:57 AM.

I am in love with my bard, he is a Ranger/MM, soloing is real fun because pet also gets the buffs, and groups i just sit in back and refresh buffs and still got some nice DPS in there.

on a side note - not very high level yet but i hope my support and DPS ratio still stays the way it is.

Cooke-cutter and most common choices are certainly 44 or 51 Bard with splashes of some combination of Ranger, Nightblade, and Riftstalker. People like the accessibility of the pet and ranged damage from Ranger, they splash Nightblade to boost their lolCadence damage, and/or they grab a touch of Riftstalker for escaping.

Personally, though I'm still mucking with points here and there, I'm looking to go for something like this for group PvP: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...qz.xI00uqdokkR
    Last edited by Kyera; 02-15-2011 at 07:38 PM.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by macfrenchfry View Post
    Support bard sounds like a good topic for a guide on this forum... I wonder if any one has taken the time to write such a guide on this forum? If only there were some way to find out...

Rift Disciple

Langston has written a great guide for Support Bards:

http://www.riftbards.com/bard-guide/support-bard-guide/

Shadowlander

My plan is to start with Bard/Nightblade/Ranger.

I'm going full on, 51 pt, Bard soul with 8 into Nightblade, and 7 into Riftstalker.

Uh... wait a minute, Daruma... you said Ranger not Riftstalker...

Ah, yes, my young Padawan, I did...

I plan to start with Ranger as my 3rd soul for the pet... it really does help. I'll be maxing out Bard each level with leftovers into Nightblade until I have 8 points into NB.

This gives me increased damage from Blazing Fury and Unstable State. This increased damage equates to increased healing as well, (from Cadence). This also gives me an additional, and earlier, mezz from the 8 point NB root skills. I'll have 8 points into NB at Lv 26 which gets me a mezz that my Bard soul won't give me until 34 points in, (Lv 34 in my case since I'm keeping Bard maxed).

By the time I have that 9th point available I'll be Lv 27... or is it 28...

Anyway, by Lv 30 the 0 point Ranger pet becomes useless... so at Lv 27 or 28, (since the pet is nearing the end of its usefulness anyway), I'll swap out, (or use an additional role slot), Ranger and take Riftstalker and begin working up the last 7 spare points into Riftstalker.

Five points of that 7 will go into Unseen Fury giving me more Attack Power, (and thus more damage which in Cadence's case means even more healing). The remaining 2 will either go into Boosted recovery for 20% more incoming healing, or Great Fortitude for 6% more Endurance, (which is the stat for HP).

I think this will be a very effective, and fun for me, end game PvE build.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck.

Shadowlander

Bard/MM is great. The Bard builds up fast Combo points doing Cadence/Power Cord which translate into pretty decent damage by Deadeye Shot from Marksman if needed or Coda of Restoration later if you need to heal. For soloing can add in Ranger (zero points invested) which gives you the basic pet to play around with as well (which works well enough for solo play).

Huge support, decent damage, and a pet if needed to solo with.

Soulwalker

For leveling solo/quests I think Bard/Ranger is the best base. If you plan to level doing pvp/warfronts I would do a Bard/Nightblade base. Riftstalker works great with any build because of the +AP% and +End% but would be best utilized at later levels.
    Previous Games: DAoC: Hib-Isuelt Eternal Brotherhood. WAR: Volkmar War Machine. Guild Wars, WoW, Eve Online
    Other Name: Daricaid, Darikaid, Sessybard, a lot of names starting with Dari.

Soulwalker

I play a support bard. It fits my play style and my guilds for how we will run premades in PVP and PVE at launch.

The spec I will have at endgame will be bard 46, ranger 10, sabotuer 10. Currently at lvl 35, I am bard34, ranger 9, sabotuer 4 I think.

This gives you all the healing, buffs, PBAOE mezz and single target mezz from bard
    From Ranger - Pet for interrupts, passive HP buff, passive bow dmg buff, passive dmg mitigation to your armor
    From sabotuer - AOE snare plus range improvement to take it to 30 meters max from 20, plue cooldown improvement and 15% passive dex buff.

This build gives you great off healing, all the buffing and debuffing you want, 3 forms of crowd control (mezz, snare, pet)

This is not a go solo other players build, it is a true support build. If I am having to fight a player my assist train is not doing a good job switching to defense and peeling from me.

With this build I've managed over 50K healing (sub lvl 30) while getting 30+ contribution kills and a few lucky deathblows.

I just hit my enforcer title, (1000 player kills) in beta 6 so it is not lacking in ability, it is just not a soloing build. It has tons of utility and is alot of fun to play if you like playing support. If you don't it will not be for you.

This also translates very well to PVE and soloing in PVE is simple. The cool thing about having the soul system is that you can tailor the class to whatever you want to play, I would suggest not reading here as everyone wants to post their OMGWTFPWN build.

When I set out trying different combinations, I did not read anything I just looked at the trees in the builder, arrived on 3 different class combos, bought 2 extra roles and specced em up and tried them. I have never asked anyone what was the "best". I put together a spec that fits the way I want to play and the way my guild will want me to support them via PVP.
    Last edited by Staggerlee; 02-16-2011 at 09:26 AM.

Banned

If you go full on Bard, could you only take a 2nd soul allowing you to go deeper into that tree? I haven't messed around with only a 2 soul build because I see value in putting the remaining points into the lower half of the 2nd and 3rd soul.

i was messing around with various bard builds last beta and found bard/ranger/assassin to be a fun build both solo and in dungeons

Plane Touched

You'll want the pvp soul if you pvp so for me it will be 8 nightblade for the damage boost for cadance, 16 into the pvp soul seems pretty standar, and the rest in Bard. Until I can get the pvp soul Im looking at rift stalker or maybe ranger.

+ Reply to Thread