+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Assassin needs some love.

Default Assassin needs some love.

After alot of playing with this Soul for an extensive time in Beta's it is not holding water compared the the other Rouge DPS classes. The no limit stealth is about the only thing worthwhile. Its burst damage is extremely low compared to the others, Its survivablity is hands down the worst in game. Both PVE and PVP. The set up time for assinate is risky and the damage no way reflects even in crit what its risk is. Even sustained DPS you can almost get the same numbers with bard rotating it with nightblade. Wondering if there others have noticed the very lack luster feel of this soul.

assasin is a siting duck in pvp no speed no dmg pets see him when he is invincable i u have a 20 lvl assasin and u attack 20 lvl ranger who is AFK u will die from his auto attack
    Last edited by steroidfreak; 02-15-2011 at 07:35 AM.
    yes your toons from beta will be deleted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

assassin is fine, the problem is the people who think 51p into 1 class should solve everything, if anything it makes you into a one trick pony and in this case a stealth ambusher.

Melee rogues are fine in pvp, i play one myself, its just about not staring yourself blind at 1 soul cause you guess what, rift is actually based on having multiple souls! (gasp i know it..weird aint it)
    Harkain:.
    .:Admin | Precept
    www.precept.cc

You are right guyz, but stealth worth everything.... I wanna try to do my best and my class best. We ll see, im 100% sure i ll have nice solo kills... btw kill with sitting duck needs much more skill than rollin' with an op extraheavymetalsharpshooter.
    Lineage 2: CLRsky-Elf Bladedancer WoW: iLoveViolence - Troll Rogue WHO: Integra - Witch Elf Rift: NiHiL - High Elf Rogue Riftsalker /Steamspike/

I haven't had any problem with the Assassin in pvp (at lvl 25), it's just not the "boom oneshot" artist people "assume" it is.
    It's sustained dps, and learn to use your stuns.
    Therylin - R5 Healer
    Thericia- R4 Rogue

Plane Touched

Assassin is simply just not a major burst soul and as such suffers in PvP. I think alot of people are going into it wanting it to play like their "traditional" rogues in other games but that just isn't the playstyle for this soul.

It is actually a rather survivable soul in terms of personal tools getting such things as an in-combat restealth, an activateable self-heal and cc-prevent (enduring brew), a self-healing weapon buff and a couple stuns/blinds. However, it's damage is predicated more on sustainability as evidinced by serrated blades, baneful touch, myriad of poisons on auto-attack, and stronger CP builders but weaker finishers than it's closest counterpart (nightblade).

I personally like pairing it best with RS for mobility/defensive buffs in pc and turn into a stealth/teleport/harass machine.

As far as solo PvE goes it kills things plenty fast (<2 finishers) and stays at full hp while doing it and is able to take on multiple adds at once without major detriment..... no many souls can claim the same thing.
    Last edited by gulain; 02-15-2011 at 07:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gulain View Post
    As far as solo PvE goes it kills things plenty fast (<2 finishers) and stays at full hp while doing it and is able to take on multiple adds at once without major detriment..... no many souls can claim the same thing.
    Do you tend to enhance the Assassin opener with talents like Cloak and Dagger, Subterfuge, Physical Trauma? The alternative is to boost poisons (5-8 points ouch). I ask because if you do end up with adds, you won't have more than 1 more opener but your poison and serated blades will be consistently contributing to your damage.
    "The only reason I need to group is to have witnesses to my greatness." -Hubris

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Ibliss View Post
    Do you tend to enhance the Assassin opener with talents like Cloak and Dagger, Subterfuge, Physical Trauma? The alternative is to boost poisons (5-8 points ouch). I ask because if you do end up with adds, you won't have more than 1 more opener but your poison and serated blades will be consistently contributing to your damage.
    This is an approximation of the build I used in B6 to run around. I came about the build primarily when looking for a solid dps build that wasn't squishy (I got tired of sitting to drink as sab or MM when adds came to the scene) and since I primarily tanked as RS I really liked the teleport mechanics that it gave. Keep in mind too exceptional resilience hadn't changed at that time so some things are subject to change on it.

I skipped serrated blades because I didn't want it breaking any kind of CC I was using. You can tell that the damage obviously isn't on par with a Sin/NB but I had enough cyclable phase shifts that I could guarantee keeping up the 15% crit increase and was able to regularly use shadow assault/shadow stalk to proc the 15% damage increase from stalker phase as well.

The proposed build would continue to finish off getting the rest of the tools out of assassin that you need and then hopping over to nightblade in place of BD to up damage further. The BD is there, for now, just to give you a defensive cooldown when things got hot since I didn't have points to dump to a 3rd soul yet.

edit: When leveling to 30 I used Ranger over BD cause I could use a free boar pet to maintain Backstab spam instead of using savage strike. Once the pet stopped scaling I moved over to BD. Also... i wouldn't use this build until level 26+ as you can't afford to get the shifts necessary out of Riftstalker and still get good damage from Sin.
    Last edited by gulain; 02-15-2011 at 10:20 AM.

Shadowlander

All I'm going to say is this...Assassin does need some work. And, for those of you who think its fine because you can mix other souls with it...if the game was truly based on multiple souls...souls wouldn't go to 51 points...they'd stop at 31 so you could max 2 with some left over...but...they go to 51 so you can specialize in something specific...and if you choose to do so...it should be worth it...and if its not, it needs to be fixed.

what we need is a healing debuff.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by FACE View Post
    what we need is a healing debuff.
    This ^ and our openers should do more damage, because once our stealth is gone were sitting ducks. Glass canons were meant for range.

Ascendant

Assassin is a utility soul right now.. best to mix with Blade Dancer or Night Blade for offense, and Riftstalker for defense.

I can't fathom NOT taking Serrated Blades, it seems to be the best way to maximize damage by far. For only 8 points you get an enormous increase to critical attack damage, turning each one into a DoT that does 180% of your weapon damage...

And since your rogue is a dexterity build, and dexterity effects critical chance... the synergy there is just too strong for me to ignore. That's why I think Assassin/Blade Dancer is really the way to go, but I haven't been able to fully test it yet.

In PVP... just looking at Assassin's skills.. it seems obvious this is a class meant to build up damage and DoT's on a character. I think the skills paint a picture of...

backstab, stun, build up Serrated Blades, stun, etc... and by the time the opponent gets a chance to fight, they are already suffering under stacks of continuous damage.

Of course heals will negate this, etc... but that goes for anything.

I do think Assassins should have an ability that lessens the effectiveness of healing on the target. Just makes sense.
    Last edited by nocks; 02-17-2011 at 09:54 AM.

critting other players for 1100 final blows over here.....

assassin is fine, one of the most versatile souls i can see in the game right now.

Slip Away should be available after 5 points.

Rift Disciple

I think assassin can be used in very different way, depending on situation (starting from stealth)

- You can go the stun lock route, mainly when you play in group, so your team mates can kill the helpless target (paralyzing strike, foul play, slip away, paralyzing strike). You can also disable 2 opponents with stunlock / Blinding powder (or poison gaz, but didn't try it so far)

- you can go the DoT route, but you'll have to add some CC in it to be 100% efficient : jagged strike > puncture > impale. That does a lot of damage for 3 skills (especially if you add the passives in there like serrated blade for example).
    BTW, I really don't understand why Physical Trauma (Tier 6) ADDS some time on the DoTs. it would be much better if it just removed some seconds (while keeping the same damage). For example, instead of lasting 16 seconds, Impale could do the same total damage, but in 8 secondes. Puncture and jagged strike in 5 seconds. so Physical Trauma could be 25/50% last shorter on those 3 abilities.

- you can go the "burst" route, with Assassinate > Savage x2 / Puncture > Final Blow. It can be very impressive, but if it fails (no crits at all, some missed / blocked / parried / dodged) then, you have nothing left ^^

All in all, I really like this soul. It's very versatile and can be used in very different ways depending on the situation.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast