+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best rogue tanking build?

Default Best rogue tanking build?

I'm sure this has probably been asked a million times already, but I'm looking for people's advice on the best rogue tanking builds. Thoughts?

Plane Touched

51 points into RS if you want best tank.

The second and third soul are arguable between ranger, bard, and bladedancer. Choose two of those three depending on what you want the most (dmg mitigation, HP, avoidance) and you will be as prepared as they can be.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Allara View Post
    I'm sure this has probably been asked a million times already, but I'm looking for people's advice on the best rogue tanking builds. Thoughts?
    At this point, a 51/8/7 build is looking like the best after the changes. The 51 points would be in Riftstalker, maxing out the passive boosts. For the 8 and 7 points, they are usually distributed among the following 3: Bladedancer, Bard, and Ranger. Bladedancer is for Avoidance, Threat, and CP generation. Bard gives a lot of HP plus some avoidance and maybe an armor buff. Ranger gives some hp and damage reduction. Bladedancer, if you go for it, needs to be the 8. Ranger and Bard can be either 8 or 7.

Here is what they give as individual options:

8 Bladedancer:
    +5% Static Dodge
    +5% Dodge Finisher(6 seconds at 5CP)
    +Threat(Autodamage on Dodge plus a 10 energy 6 sec CD CP generating attack after dodge or parry)

5 Bard:
    +10% HP
    7-8 Bard:
    -1% to be hit per point
    (Can pick up 1 pt Armor buff if you dont have a bard for your raid)

5 Ranger:
    5% HP
    7-8 Ranger:
    2% damage reduction per point

I personally prefer 8 Bladedancer/7 Bard as the Riftstalker tree has no avoidance boosts. Bard is probably better than ranger as 5 pts in bard gives almost the same EHP benefit as the 7 points in ranger. Picking up the armor boost and more avoidance is just extra.
    Last edited by Calth; 02-14-2011 at 05:45 PM.

Thumbs up

^Calth: Nail, Head, Hammer.

Thanks guys! This is awesome info and will help me pick up rogue tanking tomorrow!

Telaran

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M....EItcuqzRkkR.x

that is the Best tanking build for rogues i see now with the new changes. gives you more hp then a full 51 point build

Actually you have no wiggle room when it comes to secondary soul choices. 51 RS/bard/ranger. If you take BD you will not tank endgame stuff period. Avoidance is trash.You will not have 20% dodge. You will never see 50% dodge EVER. RS you stack endurance on everything. This means essences runes and whatever you can get your grubby hands on. Don't forget that RS takes some micromanaging beginning a fight always and that your healers will be required to heal you as you're engaging. There are quite a few reactive healers that have bad specs or just react to your health bar after it happens. I can say without a doubt that as RS you need to find who the good clerics are and make them friends right away. Warriors have a smidge more leeway here but RS just can't handle a fail healer as much as a warrior could.

EDIT: If you disagree with me please get to fifty before you try to argue that it isn't the best. I know truth and facts can be hard to swallow for many people and in this case you are stuck with a full point investment and no option for secondary class choices. It's how the mechanics work so cry to Trion about it.

Oh and Trion please buff the RS damage some it's horrible .
    Last edited by Baconnaise; 02-14-2011 at 08:07 PM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Baconnaise View Post
    Actually you have no wiggle room when it comes to secondary soul choices. 51 RS/bard/ranger. If you take BD you will not tank endgame stuff period. Avoidance is trash.You will not have 20% dodge. You will never see 50% dodge EVER. RS you stack endurance on everything. This means essences runes and whatever you can get your grubby hands on. Don't forget that RS takes some micromanaging beginning a fight always and that your healers will be required to heal you as you're engaging. There are quite a few reactive healers that have bad specs or just react to your health bar after it happens. I can say without a doubt that as RS you need to find who the good clerics are and make them friends right away. Warriors have a smidge more leeway here but RS just can't handle a fail healer as much as a warrior could.

EDIT: If you disagree with me please get to fifty before you try to argue that it isn't the best. I know truth and facts can be hard to swallow for many people and in this case you are stuck with a full point investment and no option for secondary class choices. It's how the mechanics work so cry to Trion about it.

Oh and Trion please buff the RS damage some it's horrible .
    for one thing they are supposed to be horrible dps they are one of the better tank spec so of course they lose tons of dps to compensate.
    And bladedancer gets a pure 10% dodge bonus that will be always running after the first 15 seconds of battle how is that not significant against any melee mobs. The one thing that makes it hard for me to choose bard/ranger or ranger/blade is the fact that bard/ranger is much better when it comes to magic damage since you have 5% more hp and 2% more pure damage reduction but you lose 10% dodge and 1 ohh **** cooldown. I think the ohh **** cooldown might be worth it though with the nerf to the rs cooldowns since its now 30% less damage and only 3 seconds of invun instead of 5 and defer death likely will kill you.

honestly I have thought about two different riftstalker pve builds so that I have the added hp for casting mobs and the dodge for ae tanking and melee bosses or when I know events have multiple ohh **** moments.

51rs/7bard/8ranger

splinter shot -> cadence = 5 combo points with only 2 seconds of 'in combat', so you can open with a fast rift guard to boot.

I dont think the extra 5% hit points from ranger is as good as the 5% crit though. The crits going to help generate agro more than the 5% hitpoints are going to help you not die. Remember you have the 15% crit buff after shifting from riftstalker too. Just using the two targeted shift attacks when they are up like you may as well do anyway, thats already 66% uptime.

I'd love to hear why Avoidance is trash.

I'd also love to know how you know for a fact that Endurance stacking is the only feasible methodology for Rogue Tank gearing.

Oh and just as a reminder:
    EDIT: If you disagree with me please get to fifty before you try to argue that it isn't the best.
    EDIT: @Vabjekf
    I dont think the extra 5% hit points from ranger is as good as the 5% crit though. The crits going to help generate agro more than the 5% hitpoints are going to help you not die. Remember you have the 15% crit buff after shifting from riftstalker too. Just using the two targeted shift attacks when they are up like you may as well do anyway, thats already 66% uptime.
    I'll consider swapping out 5% Health for 5% Crit when I'm at the point that 5% Health doesn't do me any good anymore before I start looking for means to boost Threat. In other words, with or without 5% Crit, holding Threat should NOT be problematic and I won't be ever looking for specific means to boost it beyond what is needed to down a Boss and not Threat-cap the DPS. This of course assumes I even bother with Ranger over Bladedancer to begin with, which at the moment I don't think I will when 10% undiminished Dodge is staring me in the face along with an excellent defensive CD. Plus if we revisit the TPS argument, I think I'll prefer the free-autos and Reprisal to 5% Crit, but that's merely a gut feeling, nothing grounded just yet.
    Last edited by Fasc; 02-14-2011 at 08:32 PM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Vabjekf View Post
    51rs/7bard/8ranger

splinter shot -> cadence = 5 combo points with only 2 seconds of 'in combat', so you can open with a fast rift guard to boot.

actually crits are not going to generate any real extra agro because of the -30% damage, you get most of your agro from your agro generating abilities like ps, pb, and rd and you have the initial shifting damage reduction to allow you to get up your rift guard.

pretty much shadow blitz is the best way to engage for initial agro and rift barrier.
    Last edited by Maethor; 02-14-2011 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maethor View Post
    for one thing they are supposed to be horrible dps they are one of the better tank spec so of course they lose tons of dps to compensate.
    And bladedancer gets a pure 10% dodge bonus that will be always running after the first 15 seconds of battle how is that not significant against any melee mobs. The one thing that makes it hard for me to choose bard/ranger or ranger/blade is the fact that bard/ranger is much better when it comes to magic damage since you have 5% more hp and 2% more pure damage reduction but you lose 10% dodge and 1 ohh **** cooldown. I think the ohh **** cooldown might be worth it though with the nerf to the rs cooldowns since its now 30% less damage and only 3 seconds of invun instead of 5 and defer death likely will kill you.

honestly I have thought about two different riftstalker pve builds so that I have the added hp for casting mobs and the dodge for ae tanking and melee bosses or when I know events have multiple ohh **** moments.
    Listen I'm not being mean and I'm not trolling or doing this for entertainment (at least in this thread). There is no option. The avoidance will not help you at fifty on expert stuff nor will the active. You will die horribly and wipe. Avoidance specifically dodge in this game is a nice stat but there is no way for you to stack enough of it to make any sort of impact at fifty. Endurance is king on RS tanks because it helps the bread and butter skills always. The 6% damage absorb in ranger is worth three or four times as much as BD's paltry bonus and active. I'm telling you how it is. It's the way it works currently barring any instance changes (bosses etc). You will not tank any expert level instances with BD especially starting out in greens/blues.

RS damage I know is lowered for a reason but part of the quirks to the class is that low damage hurts threat somewhat considering I hit for much more damage on tank warrior builds without even trying. They just need some minor tweaks and the RS will be perfect.

I know it sucks hearing that to tank on a rogue calling you have to spec this or not at all but that's how it is folks. Anyways carry on I suppose.

Telaran

Listen I'm not being mean and I'm not trolling or doing this for entertainment (at least in this thread). There is no option. The avoidance will not help you at fifty on expert stuff nor will the active. You will die horribly and wipe. Avoidance specifically dodge in this game is a nice stat but there is no way for you to stack enough of it to make any sort of impact at fifty. Endurance is king on RS tanks because it helps the bread and butter skills always. The 6% damage absorb in ranger is worth three or four times as much as BD's paltry bonus and active. I'm telling you how it is. It's the way it works currently barring any instance changes (bosses etc). You will not tank any expert level instances with BD especially starting out in greens/blues.

RS damage I know is lowered for a reason but part of the quirks to the class is that low damage hurts threat somewhat considering I hit for much more damage on tank warrior builds without even trying. They just need some minor tweaks and the RS will be perfect.

I know it sucks hearing that to tank on a rogue calling you have to spec this or not at all but that's how it is folks. Anyways carry on I suppose.
    I do not know about that, I haven't had a chance to test the changes yet, but 10% pure dodge works out about mathmatically equal to the 6% absorb and 5% more hp and is viable when you get the added 50% dodge and reactive cp generator.

Its actually something I plan on testing extensivly this next beta. I actually thought about running with both builds a pvp build and a bard build.
    Last edited by Maethor; 02-14-2011 at 08:39 PM.

Telaran

More info on the post i started with same topic.

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...ue-Tank-Viable

Telaran

Honestly I think both builds are viable for different things. Honestly against melee mobs with a mass amount of adds that spawn like the spider in DD the bladedancer is better because of the dodge will give a decent amount of extra survivability in encounters like that not to mention the attack back gives a substantial amount of aoe agro when you hit that 50% dodge, gotta remember that is a minimum of 60% dodge with no dex added in for 15 seconds which is pretty damn huge, with dex its probably a minimum of 70% dodge.

And the fact is 20% dodge is easily expected to get as a riftstalker with a bladedancer 10% without the bladedancer from dex alone if you craft your gear and add the defensive enhancements you can make up for any weak point whether it be needing more magic resists or more endurance.
    Last edited by Maethor; 02-14-2011 at 08:44 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast