+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29

Thread: Riftstalker Changes (plz check my math)

  1. #1
    Rift Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    622

    Default Riftstalker Changes (plz check my math)

    With the new riftstalker changes


    Riftstalkers bubble got changed Riftstalker changes

    Check out these changes in the tree..

    Improved Rift Guard: Changed from a 3 point ability to 1. Increases the incoming damage absorbed by Rift Guard by 2.5%, and total amount it can absorb by 25%. For every point spent in Riftstalker above 16, the incoming damage absorbed is increased by 0.5% and the total amount absorbed by 5%.

    Does this mean that if I have 1000 hp and they hit me for 100 damage, I will still take 85 damage, and the shield will only last till I take 500 damage? Then i will have to refresh it?

    If I have Improved Rift Guard now I get an additional 0.375% (2.5% of 15%) and the shield will last till i take a total of 620 damage, till I have to refresh it. (Thats with only 16 points in Riftstalker)


    Is riftstalker still worth it for a second tree??
    Last edited by AvdielZion; 02-14-2011 at 04:57 PM.

  2. #2
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AvdielZion View Post
    Does this mean that if I have 1000 hp and they hit me for 100 damage, I will still take 85 damage, and the shield will only last till I take 500 damage? Then i will have to refresh it?

    If I have Improved Rift Guard now I get an additional 0.375% (2.5% of 15%) and the shield will last till i take a total of 620 damage, till I have to refresh it. (Thats with only 16 points in Riftstalker)


    Is riftstalker still worth it for a second tree??
    It is all additive. Improved Rift Guard makes it scale up to a 35% absorb up to 250% of your hp at 51 riftstalker.

    edit: Using your numbers it would be a 2500hp shield reducing damage to 65 a hit.... at that rate it'd take 38 hits before you would have to re-shield.
    Last edited by gulain; 02-14-2011 at 05:17 PM.

  3. #3
    Rift Disciple Bolyai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    129

    Default

    I'm was really holding out hope that Rift Guard would no longer overwrite Rift Barrier. I loved the idea of tanking with a Riftstalker via plane shifting. Managing shift timers was a subtle nuance I was looking forward to.

    I suppose I could just ignore Rift Guard all together and still rely on shifting for tanking.

    In the end I know I'll go with the more effective route. I guess time will tell.

  4. #4
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Rifstalker still good,he can plane shift to his target and quit from some battles with dmg reducing,cc immune,increased move speed and critical chance,so he good as before. But now harder to tank in low lvl instances,but,I bet he is SO good now as a main tank after lvl 35.And in good hands RS still can be a main tank on high lvls!
    Last edited by Xqtr; 02-14-2011 at 05:20 PM.

  5. #5
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    240

    Default

    The 250% damage absorption is a crazy big change and should negate any naysayers about rogues MT needing to recast their guard all the time. Rift barrier still a very good skill too. Start by plane shifting towards group of mobs to activate barrier, use your other finishers like guarded steel, and then you can put up your guard thanks to barrier taking its place for a little bit.

  6. #6
    Rift Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    622

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gulain View Post
    It is all additive. Improved Rift Guard makes it scale up to a 35% absorb up to 250% of your hp at 51 riftstalker.

    edit: Using your numbers it would be a 2500hp shield reducing damage to 65 a hit.... at that rate it'd take 38 hits before you would have to re-shield.

    Lol.. It took me awhile to make sure all was right, and I still dont get it LOL

    I thought it was not additive? I have another thread where they told me that it was a percentage of the percentage LOL
    Last edited by AvdielZion; 02-14-2011 at 05:42 PM.

  7. #7
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,724

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bolyai View Post
    I'm was really holding out hope that Rift Guard would no longer overwrite Rift Barrier. I loved the idea of tanking with a Riftstalker via plane shifting. Managing shift timers was a subtle nuance I was looking forward to.

    I suppose I could just ignore Rift Guard all together and still rely on shifting for tanking.

    In the end I know I'll go with the more effective route. I guess time will tell.
    Unfortunately with Rift Barrier now maxing out at 15% it's really no longer even comparable to Rift Guard. You can use it to help survive the initial pull if you really, really feel like you have to. But it doesn't seem to have any use beyond that. I would have liked planes shifts to have been the Riftstalkers core mechanic instead of just a fun fluffy ability, but I guess too many were concerned about Riftstalkers bouncing around the room (which doesn't even happen unless you're using the wrong shifts).

    Riftstalkers will still be able to perform their role extremely well. Even slightly better than before, actually. But I just miss having to manage the shifting when tanking.
    Last edited by Kedon; 02-14-2011 at 06:02 PM.

  8. #8
    Rift Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    622

    Default

    What about Riftstalker in PvP for a second Soul to say bard?
    Last edited by AvdielZion; 02-14-2011 at 08:12 PM.

  9. #9
    Sword of Telara Fasc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    841

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AvdielZion View Post
    Lol.. It took me awhile to make sure all was right, and I still dont get it LOL

    I thought it was not additive? I have another thread where they told me that it was a percentage of the percentage LOL
    Last time I saw anything the wording could have been construed four different ways, depending upon which parts were additive or multiplicative, bu that was prior to the latest change. Generally multiplicative improvements tend to work out to nice clean numbers and not some odd percentages out to 4 decimal places, and additive here sounds about right given how the numbers stack up.

    With a 250% of Maximum Health shield to chew through, Rogues will have quite a bit of time to cycle other finishers, including Annihilation, without having to watch RG like a hawk. Just reinforces my initial plan to test and play as a RS/BD/Bard build before RS/Ranger/Bard build.

  10. #10
    Sword of Telara Fasc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    841

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AvdielZion View Post
    What about Riftstalker in PvP for a second Soul to say bard?
    Depends upon what you want to do with the build honestly.

    Personally I'm very very keen on making obnoxious builds that are tough to kill or have some oddities that aren't exactly about blowing people up. I'm looking pretty closely at tweaking a build that goes 21 into Infiltrator straight up the defensive branch up to Step into the Shadows along with 13 in Sab for the AoE slow bomb, ranged application of CPs via Charges, and the CC reduction skill with the root trap. The purpose of the build would be almost exclusively harassment and flag running as almost all the skills I select are purely defensive oriented. Being able to Plane Shift like a madman all over the place while spending next to no time in Stuns and such with a ton of movement speed and sturdiness will make for some great group PvP.

    I just won't be able to do much in terms of killing anyone this century :P

  11. #11
    Shadowlander Kairbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Inside Flo Rida
    Posts
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kedon View Post
    Unfortunately with Rift Barrier now maxing out at 15% it's really no longer even comparable to Rift Guard. You can use it to help survive the initial pull if you really, really feel like you have to. But it doesn't seem to have any use beyond that. I would have liked planes shifts to have been the Riftstalkers core mechanic instead of just a fun fluffy ability, but I guess too many were concerned about Riftstalkers bouncing around the room (which doesn't even happen unless you're using the wrong shifts).

    Riftstalkers will still be able to perform their role extremely well. Even slightly better than before, actually. But I just miss having to manage the shifting when tanking.
    Rift barrier was to easily exploited as free dmg reduction cooldown in sub speccing as well as being op in pvp mitigation for the Specced RS. Plane shifting still makes RS pretty much the unparalleled add pick up tank. Instantly porting to mobs and picking them up. Pulling 5 mobs to them all the while have great mitigation.

  12. #12
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    91

    Default

    It looks like devs want Riftalker to become a PVE tanking soul!
    We have to test the changes!
    But it sound like we'll have to waste our first 5 combos to cast rift barrier! decreasing out damage output drastically!
    And we have no significant dps increase to balance this waste of combo point!
    We'll see.
    I just ask to other riftstalker lovers to report after testing the changes!

  13. #13
    Ascendant Kyera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5,402

    Default

    A tanking soul giving up dps to tank? Shocker, there.

  14. #14
    Plane Touched vaxatif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    France
    Posts
    178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by algol80 View Post
    It looks like devs want Riftalker to become a PVE tanking soul!
    We have to test the changes!
    But it sound like we'll have to waste our first 5 combos to cast rift barrier! decreasing out damage output drastically!
    And we have no significant dps increase to balance this waste of combo point!
    We'll see.
    I just ask to other riftstalker lovers to report after testing the changes!
    That's the idea. If you take Riftstalker to tank, there's no problem spending 5 combos to put up the shield.
    On the other hand, if you just take Riftstalker for PvP, then the default shield after rifting won't be as good (but not requires less investments too)
    We don't really need DPS to tank, especially now that improved Guarded Steel also gives a passive threat boost apparently.

    Clever changes I think.
    "He who talks to the birds is not yet dead, for he has heard life itself!"
    Cool Tzu, The Art of the Dude.

  15. #15
    Rift Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    622

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fasc View Post
    Depends upon what you want to do with the build honestly.

    Personally I'm very very keen on making obnoxious builds that are tough to kill or have some oddities that aren't exactly about blowing people up. I'm looking pretty closely at tweaking a build that goes 21 into Infiltrator straight up the defensive branch up to Step into the Shadows along with 13 in Sab for the AoE slow bomb, ranged application of CPs via Charges, and the CC reduction skill with the root trap. The purpose of the build would be almost exclusively harassment and flag running as almost all the skills I select are purely defensive oriented. Being able to Plane Shift like a madman all over the place while spending next to no time in Stuns and such with a ton of movement speed and sturdiness will make for some great group PvP.

    I just won't be able to do much in terms of killing anyone this century :P

    Ya, thats the kind of build I want, Speed boost, healing, and very hard to kill. Along with other buffs/defuffs

    Let me know what talents in the rifstalker and infiltrator tree you like and think or the best for defensive build.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts