+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New player: Soloing as a Bard?

Default New player: Soloing as a Bard?

Hey all!

I am new comer, been reading through all the classes/roles/souls/whatever, trying to make up my mind a bit for tomorrows beta.

I have always liked support characters. Played a D3 defender in City of Heroes and a Burglar in Lotro (which I still play). I also enjoy tanking, but it gets dull from time to time. I love the jak of all trades kind of class, which seems is the perfect deffinition for a Bard

How viable are Bards for soloing as starter soul? Do they get stealth just from being a Rogue? Or maybe I should start with a more offensive Rogue and switch to Bard as soon as I unlock my second soul?

As I said, I loved the chaos that both the D3 and Burglar can bring to the enemy files. Is the bard able to do that? I know is more of a buffer than a debuffer, but as long as my group effectiviness is greatly improved, I dont really mind how to do it. But since I spend a lot of time soloing, this is also a concern for me

Any tips/ideas?

Thanks!

the best solo rogue souls to start are ranger/marksman, cause u get range attacks and pet to tank ur mobs. at lvl 13 u get the quests to learn the other souls and then u buy 2nd role and enjoy 2 different specs (ex. role1 = marksman/ranger/... role2 = bard/..../......). and ofc later on u get 3rd and 4th role if u got the cash

bard is great buffer with some debuff capabilities
    Last edited by CruentusLiber; 02-14-2011 at 12:54 PM.

Telaran

I solo lvl'ed a mm/bard/ranger to 30 with no problem. I had no down time and lvl'ed very fast. I mainly put points in mm/bard and used ranger pet

Shadowlander

A bard doesn't have a stealth. You can look here for all of the souls and their skills: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html . You will get your second and third souls by around level 10, so it will just be the soul that you level the beginning levels with. Normally I start with an offensive, or my main soul, just to make it a bit easier.
    Last edited by Laci; 02-14-2011 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Erhnam View Post
    Hey all!

I am new comer, been reading through all the classes/roles/souls/whatever, trying to make up my mind a bit for tomorrows beta.

I have always liked support characters. Played a D3 defender in City of Heroes and a Burglar in Lotro (which I still play). I also enjoy tanking, but it gets dull from time to time. I love the jak of all trades kind of class, which seems is the perfect deffinition for a Bard

How viable are Bards for soloing as starter soul? Do they get stealth just from being a Rogue? Or maybe I should start with a more offensive Rogue and switch to Bard as soon as I unlock my second soul?

As I said, I loved the chaos that both the D3 and Burglar can bring to the enemy files. Is the bard able to do that? I know is more of a buffer than a debuffer, but as long as my group effectiviness is greatly improved, I dont really mind how to do it. But since I spend a lot of time soloing, this is also a concern for me

Any tips/ideas?

Thanks!
    No stealth, you'll have to pick that up from one of the other souls.

As for as the soloing question, what are you wanting to solo? Players? Regular mobs for leveling? Elites?

But with 4 specs there really is no need to make a "one spec to do it all" build. You can bounce around between different ones to do what you are currently looking to do the most effectively, and can do most of it all using the same gear.

Sorry about not specifying. Im talking about general levelling, no PVP. If I can solo elites, that would be great, tho

Thanks for the link! I will explore that a bit

Telaran

For Bard + stealth get Nightblade, it buffs bard's damage, and gets decent attacks too.

If you want no stealth, but great soloing, add Riftstalker (rogue tank soul) and Ranger for 0 point pet. Until lvl 30 pet will tank the mob instead of you, while bard is buffing/healing the pet. It's not as fast as other combinations, but at higher lvls, when riftstalker gets more blinks, you will be able to do the chaos you want.

Safest and fastest is 12 point bard for HoT and power chord, 0 point ranger for pet, and rest in marksman.
    If the enemy wants to melee you, just spam cadence.

Bards are really slow at solo'ing. Better off going ranger first then going bard as a secondary one if you really want it.

I've soloed as a Bard main soul since I started back in beta 1 with no problems. My current setup is Bard/Bladedancer/Riftstalker but I'll be switching it around this coming phase. With my spec and gear I have no problems soloing anything. I burn through quests with zero downtime, I can take on elites and win, I've taken on 4-5 mobs at the same time and came away without much trouble. Most will go Ranger and Bard while leveling and that is fine. There hasn't been a point in my Rift career where I thought I was not effective at moving through the levels with speed and efficiency.
    Author of Support Bard Guide and Officer of Nuln Highway Boys

I soloed really well as a bard/nightshade. With the self heals, there's practically no downtime.

Champion of Telara

I've soloed as Bard/Nightblade/Blade Dancer from 1 to 35. It's slow, yes, but you are practically invincible once you hit level 12, and your survivability only grows as you gain more healing abilities.

The only thing that's killed me in non-invasion questing was pulling three of the giants in Stonefield at the same time. If it had been 2 of them, I probably would've been okay, even.

Do not listen to people telling you to use garbage like Ranger - Nightblade gives you 24% more damage (and thusly healing) to your Cadence ability, and Blade Dancer gives you up to 5% Hit plus a very potent personal defense cooldown (50% Dodge for 15 seconds on a 2m cooldown).
    -Rilgon @ Deepwood (US)

There is no reason to solo as a bard 0_0. Just have another role to solo as.

I switch to bard occasionally while soloing since a bard can easily take on elites no problem.

Riftstalker-Bard-Nightblade with zero trouble solo leveling.

Like most people, I started with Ranger as my first soul and dumped it as soon as I could (level 13 when you can access the quests for the other souls). Ranger/Bard/Nightblade was easy leveling 1-13.

Trust me, you WILL get tired of being "guy with a pig #32553". Yes, the pet makes leveling more reliable/safe, but it does actually make it go slower. And everyone has a pig, a fairy, or a skeleton out in the lower zones. It was actually fun just to be different.

At about 20 with the Rift/Bard/NB build I started really tearing through quest content like it was nothing. Multiple mobs were not a problem and Elites were doable. I was actually kinda surprised the amount of pigs I still saw being used in the 20's and even 30's....the pet really seemed like a much slower way of leveling after awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerromi View Post
    I've soloed as Bard/Nightblade/Blade Dancer from 1 to 35. It's slow, yes, but you are practically invincible once you hit level 12, and your survivability only grows as you gain more healing abilities.

The only thing that's killed me in non-invasion questing was pulling three of the giants in Stonefield at the same time. If it had been 2 of them, I probably would've been okay, even.

Do not listen to people telling you to use garbage like Ranger - Nightblade gives you 24% more damage (and thusly healing) to your Cadence ability, and Blade Dancer gives you up to 5% Hit plus a very potent personal defense cooldown (50% Dodge for 15 seconds on a 2m cooldown).

The moral of the story here in Rifts is that you really have to try and make a bad build to get one that doesn't work. Sure you had success with yours, but nearly every build is going to be able to handle soloing.
    Last edited by Mr Malingers; 02-14-2011 at 03:29 PM.

So many people answer the op's question by stating their opinion of what's better, rather than actually answering the question.

Yes, you can solo as a bard. It is recommended you get Ranger to get the tanking pet.

My Rogue is going to be a main spec Bard/Marksmen with Ranger for the pet, more than likely. Not because I think its the best, but because that's what I want to play.

P.S. If you go here: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html you can play around with the talent tress, and see who gets what abilities.
    Last edited by Gnimitz; 02-14-2011 at 03:38 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast