+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Nightblade - what makes it "different"?

Soulwalker

Default Nightblade - what makes it "different"?

Beta 7 will my first look at rift and am thinking NB for a main with some riftstalker mixed in, but that's beside my main question. NB does look somewhat "weak" compared to the other melees, which should be expected. Do the elemental skills really do anything unique? To me, it just looks like the same stuff the other DPS rogues have, just watered down. I would have expected some mage-like stuff, like the Nightblade class in Oblivion. But this is not Oblivion, it is Rift.

I saw the other NB thread and it's full of nit-picking about specific abilities and skills and in which order to mash buttons to max damage, so let's leave that there. I'm wondering from a more general perspective:

What is unique about the "elemental" aspect of the NB which actually affects how you would play a NB? Or do people simply play a NB the same way they would play an assassin with the main difference being what the abilities are named?

The nightblade is weaker than the other melee builds there's really nothing to look into to. It's exactly the way you see it.

what i like about the nightblade is the mix of both melee and ranged abilities
    Therylin - R5 Healer
    Thericia- R4 Rogue

The first rule of the Nightblade is, you do not talk about the Nightblade.

Telaran

Nightblades are terrible don't bother rolling one, only reason i am is because i like a challange.

Quote Originally Posted by Mentalbroccoli View Post
    The first rule of the Nightblade is, you do not talk about the Nightblade.
    .................................................. .....................

Soulwalker

its quite similar to assassin, with the difference that you don't always have to get into melee. You can start the fight from where a ranged stands and avoid some damage. On targets with high armor you do more damage then a melee rogue. You also have much much better aoe then assassins do.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadzuke View Post
    Beta 7 will my first look at rift and am thinking NB for a main with some riftstalker mixed in, but that's beside my main question. NB does look somewhat "weak" compared to the other melees, which should be expected. Do the elemental skills really do anything unique? To me, it just looks like the same stuff the other DPS rogues have, just watered down. I would have expected some mage-like stuff, like the Nightblade class in Oblivion. But this is not Oblivion, it is Rift.

I saw the other NB thread and it's full of nit-picking about specific abilities and skills and in which order to mash buttons to max damage, so let's leave that there. I'm wondering from a more general perspective:

What is unique about the "elemental" aspect of the NB which actually affects how you would play a NB? Or do people simply play a NB the same way they would play an assassin with the main difference being what the abilities are named?
    Check out this vid if you wanna see a low lvl NB ripping

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAejw...eature=related
    Last edited by Darkhan1; 02-14-2011 at 09:25 AM.

Champion of Telara

Nightblade - what makes it "different"?

As you can glean from the general information on the Rift website, Nightblades have a mix of range abilities that they can use, aside from just the melee abilities. Thus, they offer some additional flexibility over pure melee. The non-physical damage makes their damage more stable against all classes, but that's to be expected.

The only real thing that makes NBs different is that there are certain ground rules. The first rule (otherwise referred to as "Rule #1") is to not discuss Nightblades. Yes?

Quote Originally Posted by EasymodeX View Post
    The only real thing that makes NBs different is that there are certain ground rules. The first rule (otherwise referred to as "Rule #1") is to not discuss Nightblades. Yes?
    Exactly.

/end thread

rule #3: STOP TALKING ABOUT RULE #1 (or #2)

I don't see where the Nightblade is weaker than the other melee rogues. I actually think it's the best. Sure, it has low survivability, but it makes up in damage. In PvP, I believe it does better than assassins by far. Assassins, as well as the other melee, don't have much ranged, if any at all. This is where NB shines. With ranged nukes, dots, and snares, not to mention the deadly ranged finisher, the NB is a deadly force. Theres no getting away from one. On top of that, the healing reduction debuff it has is killer on clerics. Couple a NB with a rift, and you add survivability and more movement. Heck, for your 3rd, add in Blade for 50% dodge. Anyway. I guess its a point of view thing. Personally, I think the NB is the Riftblade of the rogues. Powerful, hard to get away from, etc. But shhhh. No talking about NBs! ;)

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Renley View Post
    I don't see where the Nightblade is weaker than the other melee rogues. I actually think it's the best. Sure, it has low survivability, but it makes up in damage. In PvP, I believe it does better than assassins by far. Assassins, as well as the other melee, don't have much ranged, if any at all. This is where NB shines. With ranged nukes, dots, and snares, not to mention the deadly ranged finisher, the NB is a deadly force. Theres no getting away from one. On top of that, the healing reduction debuff it has is killer on clerics. Couple a NB with a rift, and you add survivability and more movement. Heck, for your 3rd, add in Blade for 50% dodge. Anyway. I guess its a point of view thing. Personally, I think the NB is the Riftblade of the rogues. Powerful, hard to get away from, etc. But shhhh. No talking about NBs! ;)
    trust us its weaker in every way.

Telaran

Move along people, there is nothing to see here.
    omg lolol one does not simply walk into mordor

Quote Originally Posted by Renley View Post
    lol /10char

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast