+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Bards and Instruments

Soulwalker

Default Bards and Instruments

Let me preface this with saying I am new to the game. I got into the last two beta's and mostly played Bard because I love the support role, which I think they fill excellently. My only one problem is that there seem to be no instruments as equipable items which kind of takes me out of the Bard feeling. I don't know if I just haven't made it far enough to see any or they do not exist in the game but this seems like a huge deal to me. I only have gotten to level 10 but how often do you even use actual weapons when in combat as a Bard? It made me try out Warlord just to try another support type class but I would much rather play the Bard, I just can't stand feeling like all of my equipped weapons are useless.

As a side thing, does anyone even know what stats are good for the Bard? They don't seem like a physical damage class much so I wouldn't know how to build one.

Quote Originally Posted by ZzAzZ View Post
    Let me preface this with saying I am new to the game. I got into the last two beta's and mostly played Bard because I love the support role, which I think they fill excellently. My only one problem is that there seem to be no instruments as equipable items which kind of takes me out of the Bard feeling. I don't know if I just haven't made it far enough to see any or they do not exist in the game but this seems like a huge deal to me. I only have gotten to level 10 but how often do you even use actual weapons when in combat as a Bard? It made me try out Warlord just to try another support type class but I would much rather play the Bard, I just can't stand feeling like all of my equipped weapons are useless.

As a side thing, does anyone even know what stats are good for the Bard? They don't seem like a physical damage class much so I wouldn't know how to build one.
    There are no upgradeable weapons for the Bard. Certain abilities use the Lute or the Trumpet. As for gear you just gear up the same as every other rogue. Str/Dex, AP and Endurance. Throw in some stuff like Melee hit in there and you'll be good to go.
    Author of Support Bard Guide and Officer of Nuln Highway Boys

Soulwalker

And people are fine with Bards basically having no use for weapons? It doesn't make sense to me and seems like a pretty big design flaw for someone who wants to go full Bard.

And people are fine with Bards basically having no use for weapons? It doesn't make sense to me and seems like a pretty big design flaw for someone who wants to go full Bard.
    You get the benefit of your Main-Hand or Ranged Weapon's damage added to your Cadence spell so they are not useless. You also benefit from the stats they give. From a designer's standpoint why make another equipment group for only 1 Soul out of almost 40. Most of the Bards are fine with it the way it is, I know I am.
    Author of Support Bard Guide and Officer of Nuln Highway Boys

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Langston View Post
    You get the benefit of your Main-Hand or Ranged Weapon's damage added to your Cadence spell so they are not useless. You also benefit from the stats they give. From a designer's standpoint why make another equipment group for only 1 Soul out of almost 40. Most of the Bards are fine with it the way it is, I know I am.
    Well I don't see it as much different than making a certain type of weapons for only 2 souls (Ranger/Marksman). Plus it only has to be a ranged slot and it's not like there has to be a million to choose from, just something to make you feel more like a Bard.

Rift Master

Only, warriors and non ranged rogues equip ranged weapons for the passive buffs and pulling mobs so...

Telaran

I want a Lute in my ranged slot so I can fire arrows with the bow strings using Marksman Finishers.

It would be nice, just have them be equippable in ranged or even trinket slot or something, there were all kinds of bard instruments in EQ that had different effects on their songs, it'd be a nice little touch for bards. Plus then they wouldn't roll on weapons they're never going to really use except for stats and make all the other rogues mad! Its a win win.

Soulwalker

I just don't see how you can love Bards and not care about the staple of what a Bard is, which is their instrument. Sure they pull one out during actual abilities but how would a Warrior feel if he had a rock for a weapon but it showed a sword when he swung? This seems like a great example to me.

Champion of Telara

I just don't see how you can love Bards and not care about the staple of what a Bard is, which is their instrument. Sure they pull one out during actual abilities but how would a Warrior feel if he had a rock for a weapon but it showed a sword when he swung? This seems like a great example to me.
    Because I'm much more concerned with actual issues like itemization in instances, etc. than something as minor and aesthetic as that?
    -Rilgon @ Deepwood (US)

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Zerromi View Post
    Because I'm much more concerned with actual issues like itemization in instances, etc. than something as minor and aesthetic as that?
    What itemization issues?

Champion of Telara

What itemization issues?
    Well, if Instruments are actual equipment, then they have to be itemized, which takes up spot on a boss's loot table, forcing the drop rate of other items lower.

Then you have the contention that they're a fringe item and should have lower drop rates, which makes it a pain in the *** for a Bard to get a good instrument, or floods dungeon runs with them in groups that do not have a Bard.

The current system is fine.
    -Rilgon @ Deepwood (US)

On a side note, are Bards any good in PvP?

Im realy interested in rolling one tomorrow as i like the idea of being a support class. But at the same time i dont want to be every other classes whipping boy.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Zerromi View Post
    Well, if Instruments are actual equipment, then they have to be itemized, which takes up spot on a boss's loot table, forcing the drop rate of other items lower.

Then you have the contention that they're a fringe item and should have lower drop rates, which makes it a pain in the *** for a Bard to get a good instrument, or floods dungeon runs with them in groups that do not have a Bard.

The current system is fine.
    And what's the problem with this? It balances out, if you want your own special piece of equipment then you have to "work" a little harder to get it. I don't see the problem. You have to keep in mind that since only one class would be using it, it's going to drop from much less encounters. So it really would balance itself out. I'd hate to bring this into the discussion but this was the case with WoW, there were certain things that were perfect for one and only one class (i.e Feral staves). It caused no problems, it was just hard to get a hold of one if you happened to be a feral druid. Again, I see no problem with this, it only makes the class more fun and interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcticred View Post
    On a side note, are Bards any good in PvP?

Im realy interested in rolling one tomorrow as i like the idea of being a support class. But at the same time i dont want to be every other classes whipping boy.
    Having played one, with one, and without one in PvP... I'd say they are nice to have around. They tend to get targeted quickly (for good reason). The healing that Bard's do is really amazing in PvP, because it's AoE raid healing. As long as someone is relatively close to you, you're healing them. Nevermind debuffing and buffing the allies.

A bard can turn the tide of a battle more than just adding any old class, IMO. When you start having multiple bards though, esp at low level, is when it gets fishy, because buffs don't stack. So a lot of times I would queue up as bard, and there would be someone else in the warfront going bard, and I'd just switch out my role to play around with something else.

In damage/healing though, I was usually on the top 3, a lot of times #1, on both on my bard. I don't know what that says for other players/classes, but I was happy about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by wraith228 View Post
    rogues ran around shootin lightning bolts out of their nuts and clerics had chainsaws for arms

<Hammered> PvE/PvP-Defiant, EST. Semi-Hardcore.
    is recruiting.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast