+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 30+ Assassin PvE gameplay video

Default 30+ Assassin PvE gameplay video

Wasn't finding many 30+ videos showing how the Assassin soul flows in PvE, what kind of damage they do and what they can handle, so decided to make one with various footage from Beta 6.

Nothing special, just thought it might display some interesting aspects of how an Assassin soul as primary do stuff.

The video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-5_2Ac6anA

If I remember correctly, this was the build for level 34: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...0bxoboddo.VG0u

No need to comment, just informational. The speed is on x2.
    Last edited by vaxatif; 02-14-2011 at 07:19 AM.
    "He who talks to the birds is not yet dead, for he has heard life itself!"
    Cool Tzu, The Art of the Dude.

Soulwalker

i'm gonna comment anyway.

i kinda like these "grind movies", cause it's hard to judge the killing rate, hp upkeep, survivability and such, if you haven't been at those levels yourself.

i couldn't see if you were using rift scavenger often? but guarded steel probably most of the time (or was that consumables?)...

it's obvious that with enough work you're able to handle tightly grouped enemies, but what about the situations where you can't, or something goes wrong? there were a couple, but it didn't seem like a bother - was that due to rift scavenger use? or maybe leeching poison just has more of an impact than you'd think...

some might find the movie boring, but i think it was pretty useful. was worried that a lonesome rogue would be a gimp.
    Last edited by whocares; 02-14-2011 at 08:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by whocares View Post
    i'm gonna comment anyway.

i kinda like these "grind movies", cause it's hard to judge the killing rate, hp upkeep, survivability and such, if you haven't been at those levels yourself.

i couldn't see if you were using rift scavenger often? but guarded steel probably most of the time (or was that consumables?)...

it's obvious that with enough work you're able to handle tightly grouped enemies, but what about the situations where you can't, or something goes wrong? there were a couple, but it didn't seem like a bother - was that due to rift scavenger use? or maybe leeching poison just has more of an impact than you'd think...

some might find the movie boring, but i think it was pretty useful. was worried that a lonesome rogue would be a gimp.
    Rift scavenger is pretty much used automatically but sometimes I do try to keep a good stack of combos up before the kill so that I get a good heal. For grinding, I usually had 2 or 3 combos ups when mobs died so that healed me good enough.

Guarded steel and Baneful Touch, I tried to keep up constantly. Didn't really need to but since this was on a PvP server, I like being prepared and it fits nicely in the routine anyway. Boosted recovery works with Leeching poison from what I could see so it's a nice passive while the other poison was for 5% crit of course.

For "packs" that I cannot seem to split, I had a Riftstalker/Bladedancer build ready to go and that handles groups no problem.

Telaran

Nice video. I'm gonna play assassin main, but level as ranger. You showed the reason why in the video. With perma stealth you tend to just go straight for the objective. Really killing xp/hr when not killing your way through. I leveled as assassin through this whole beta event. I had to go to higher level areas 1-2 levels earlier. Fighting mobs 2-3 levels above you really slows you down.
    Last edited by Greatbape; 02-14-2011 at 08:57 AM.

Yes, it's clearly a loss of xp overall if you stealth through for questing but I skipped mobs mainly when they were heavy in dots, which usually last longer than the fights themselves and prevent me to chain properly (kill/stealth/kill/stealth/etc)

However what I did was to find a spot with mobs that did not leave any dots and were easy to kill one on one (like the wolves area, etc) and just farmed there for some time to cope. That way, the only farming I actually did was all beneficial (butchering leather as I went) and quick (no need to wait for bleeds/dots). Was quite efficient really.

Another thing is that since I was on a PvP server, I often left no outside traces. If you clear the way into a cave or a specific area, people can often just see that some mobs are missing and assume easily enough that someone is PvEing around. By stealthing directly into deeper areas, I was assured that only stealthers would come to me and that I could easily spot other people clearing their way to me, and react accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Greatbape View Post
    Nice video. I'm gonna play assassin main, but level as ranger. You showed the reason why in the video. With perma stealth you tend to just go straight for the objective. Really killing xp/hr when not killing your way through. I leveled as assassin through this whole beta event. I had to go to higher level areas 1-2 levels earlier. Fighting mobs 2-3 levels above you really slows you down.
    Depends. Sometimes ignoring the trash mobs can improve xp/time if the quests are done fast enough. Even if you're playing a stealth class you don't /have/ to skip anything either, as it's also setup for a handfull of abilities.

That said it can also be a good thing if you're someone like me who will be spending /alot/ of time in warfronts meaning I'll be wanting to do just the quest and only the quest ignoring anything else or else I'll get behind on gear since I'll be getting alot of xp from warfronts.

Okita 60 Rogue l Creiddy 60 Cleric l Sacaen 60 Warr l Shiiun 60 Mage

Shadowlander

Thumbs up

First of all: really nice video and I see you've put a lot of effort in it (in video and in character, too).
    Gratz for that!

Regarding your build... you avoid any dots in your setup, is it because of cc. abilities?
    And how about early levels? 10-25... were they similar or you had some difficulties?
    Last question: PVP?

Thanks in advance for your reply.
    "We always overestimate the change that will occur in the next two years and underestimate the change that will occur in the next ten."
    -- Bill Gates

Quote Originally Posted by Mikury View Post
    First of all: really nice video and I see you've put a lot of effort in it (in video and in character, too).
    Gratz for that!

Regarding your build... you avoid any dots in your setup, is it because of cc. abilities?
    And how about early levels? 10-25... were they similar or you had some difficulties?
    Last question: PVP?

Thanks in advance for your reply.
    Well, thanks. Did try couple stuff for editing but wasn't really any in game effort, that's just how I play I guess.

I hate dots yes. Not sure why, just hate them. I first stopped using them when I had blinding powder and never got back into them even once I respecced out of it bit before taking this video (was trying specs variations I think). Also they nerfed serrated blade quite heavily before beta 6 started (direct nerf of talent and indirect nerf of weapon damage I believe) and it became pretty much useless.

Early levels were a breeze, no problem whatsoever and things just kept getting better as I gained new goodies to play with. I have videos of my entire play-through I think (1 to 20 or something) so you can check that even though they are VERY boring I guess

As for PvP. Open world was usually easy since as you can imagine I always got to jump people. I did try to be the worst ganker possible couple times, but that was part of my testing to be honest. Never died in open world anyway.

Warfronts, well, getting top dps or whatnot was never my thing (and that's never gonna happen anyway) but I could capitalize quite nicely on my stealth, especially in the codex. One thing I know for sure is that I prolly spent 50% of my time in there hidden and positioning or reporting movements, only coming out when I was 100% sure I had a kill/assist or when I had to prevent a capping in progress while my team arrived. Was a blast overall. Black garden sucked (not suited for my playstyle on this character) and Whitefall (sp?), didn't really play much in there but good experience.
    Last edited by vaxatif; 02-14-2011 at 09:43 AM.

nice video spec is similiar to what i am runnin. as you level higher you gonna spend points into poisons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sleyde View Post
    nice video spec is similiar to what i am runnin. as you level higher you gonna spend points into poisons?
    No, into Riftstalker for mobility and survivability.

This is my intended spec as of today, will of course change over time but you get the idea
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...dbo.VG0Ixqbozk

Because killing non-raid and non-instance trash is hard.

No parses also.

Quote Originally Posted by Deviltry View Post
    Because killing non-raid and non-instance trash is hard.

No parses also.
    I'm sorry, the "I got dumped and I'm angry at the world" forum is over here.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by vaxatif View Post
    Well, thanks... ...good experience.
    Thanks for the clear answer.

This is my intended spec as of today, will of course change over time but you get the idea
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...dbo.VG0Ixqbozk
    Why MM? Or it's just random?
    Last edited by Mikury; 02-14-2011 at 10:10 AM.
    "We always overestimate the change that will occur in the next two years and underestimate the change that will occur in the next ten."
    -- Bill Gates

Quote Originally Posted by Mikury View Post
    Why MM? :O Or it's just random?
    I need a ranged combo builder both in PvP and PvE and the MM one seemed the most useful, especially with the 15% speed run boost you can get. Good for moving in or moving out.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by vaxatif View Post
    I need a ranged combo builder both in PvP and PvE and the MM one seemed the most useful, especially with the 15% speed run boost you can get. Good for moving in or moving out.
    I see. No more questions on my side. Thanks. And we shall meet in the game.
    -- Bill Gates

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast