+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can Ranger/Bard combo work?

Soulwalker

Default Can Ranger/Bard combo work?

Was wondering if anyone found any viable combos for a Rang/bard combo. I've loved playing both in other games and I really like the multi trees. I want to try this in the open beta for leveling but don't want to waste a BUNCH of time if noone has found any practical uses. Just was hoping for some insight. Tks in advance for any advice!!!

I don't really see bard and ranger being 2 trees where you would want to spread your points evenly between them. They are different roles. A bard is all about buffing and off-healing while the ranger is pure dps. You're just stretching yourself too thin. If you use your ranger dps abilities, you're losing significant healing and debuffing. In any raid environment you will have a full-support bard who is rolling motifs, so you won't need to worry about that either. At the same time, the bard abilities do very low damage and aren't worth using if you're trying to maximize dps.

That being said, anything is possible for solo so if you want to do split bard/ranger then go for it. I play a bard/nightblade/ranger and it works out well (though ranger is zero-point). Just keep an off-spec that is better suited for raiding.

I think the reason people might be attracted to this build is that you can solo well with your DPS Ranger+Pet and enhance both very nicely with bard, and you would be of great use in a raid with your bard abilities. Also, it is very easy. Just target with Tab, play music and let rip some arrows.

At least that is the theory. Who knows if it works in practice.
    Never opened myself this way
    Life is ours, we live it our way
    All these words I don't just say
    and nothing else matters.

Trust I seek and I find in you
    Every day for us something new
    Open mind for a different view
    and nothing else matters.

Soulwalker

Atleast for leveling just go for it. I tried this from 10 to 20 and it was just a beast, easiest I've tried so far.
    I went full bard and put the left overs in ranger for the pet to tank while i played my songs for buffs/heals/damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadyia View Post
    At least that is the theory. Who knows if it works in practice.
    Oh it works fine for a leveling build. I've tried it in the last beta. It's not as much damage as other builds but your survivability is awesome.
    Don't put any point in Ranger though... it's there for the pet only.

Well you get the pet and headshot right? I think it's solid, not my style, but solid.

Plane Touched

Basically what Slacke said. Bard/Ranger is an amazing solo combo, able to take down some of the craziest things that other classes wish they could do, up until level 30. Unfortunately after that because your basic boar stops scaling at 30 it really falls off. At that point you could probably do something that is a little heavier in ranger, like 24 ranger 16 bard, to have the greater boar pet. Keep putting level ups into bard after that and you'll eventually get to a good sweet spot again.

It's not the fastest solo, but it's one of the most durable. It also is the fastest way to solo bard if you like the bard playstyle.

Edit: Also, don't listen to Shagguar. You can keep points to a minimum up until 30, but you want to have at least 4 in ranger so you have the pet HoT. It greatly increases the longevity of your pet.
    Last edited by gulain; 02-14-2011 at 05:34 AM.

I play this build bard/ranger/nightblade, and while it's effective, I personally feel to be a good bard, you have to go very deep into bard 36 or more points, this leaves your ranger "lacking", while your bow damage will remain nice, if you do not get to 24 in ranger for "Call: Greater Razorbeast" your tank pet will cap at lvl 30. So you have to be prepared for what happens after that.

Personally, in all of my bard builds I'm minimum of 44 points, so after level 30 my pet will be horrible lol.
    Therylin - R5 Healer
    Thericia- R4 Rogue

Another thing to consider is that the "bread and butter" if you will of bard AoE damage/healing is using cadence to build combo points. That skill really does a lot in grouping situations, and if you're building combo points with anything else except for specific purposes (maybe a snare?) I don't personally understand why you'd sub-bard. But that's a matter of personal opinion I suppose.

Honestly it's probably a nice leveling combination, I'm just someone who likes to focus on particular trees rather than hybrid.
    Quote Originally Posted by wraith228 View Post
    rogues ran around shootin lightning bolts out of their nuts and clerics had chainsaws for arms

<Hammered> PvE/PvP-Defiant, EST. Semi-Hardcore.
    is recruiting.

pretty sure bard is suggested in the ranger role and ranger is suggested in the bard role. So Trion built those souls with each other in mind

Soulwalker

Suggested by Trion with Bard are:

Bard-Nightblade-Ranger
    Bard-Bladedancer-Riftstalker

So basically u have the melee bard and the ranged bard. Makes sense when u think about Raids and generally needing to be more durable if you melee.

I played the 1st setup a little last beta and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I am really interested in how end game dungeons and Raids will be since there are so many combinations. Taking a shot at it, I think guilds will want "pure spec" builds for most classes. Great thing is you can toggle back to something else post raid!

Telaran

Im going Bard/Ranger/Nightstalker or Bladedancer for PVP/ group PVP and PVE. Only got my guy to lv 11 in last beta tried a few warfronts and tho i died a lot due to my level i was of some threat still with my pet, i mean if i caught another rouge or mage i could deal with him being able to kill them, Dire Wolf is a great pest tool in pvp tho headshot is super weak i tend to use coda of wrath to finish haha but when i get higher ill change it to that AOE blast move.

Ranger and Bard are a great pair the buffs/ heals to u and your pet are quite good and actually make the pet a lethal weapon!

Soulwalker

Thanks all for the input! I'm thinking of focusing mainly on Ranger for leveling and seeing how bard augments that. My fear is having TOO many "jack of all trade" options and not having a viable offering towards raiding / end game. But then again, it seems that respecs will be pretty painless. I'll just have to see how it goes. Anyhow, TKS VERY MUCH for all the input!!!!

Telaran

Bard/Ranger is solid. Bear in mind your Bard buffs affect the pet.

I didnt know the first boar for ranger stops leveling at 30. Does the wolf do the job to lvl 50? If so, 10 points into Ranger for leveling purposes would be worth it IMO.

Anyone know?
    See our RIFT guides for Shaman, Archon, Chloromancer, Bard and more.

All the Guides, News and Information on the Games YOU play.

Visit our new website at www.GamingWeez.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast