+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ranged pve dps help.

Soulwalker

Default Ranged pve dps help.

Ive been toying with the idea of making a MM/Ranger/Assassin build.
    Chances are since im not in beta and only been looking over talents for the better part of a day i missed some key items, but alas this is my starting point and would like some criticism. (I looked for a similar build and didnt find one so it might be a bad sign!)

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...0bux0c.0VMcx0b

It's not bad overall, however I found Master Archer wasn't enough to keep me interested. 5 points only improves it to a 25% procrate which isn't much. It proc'd too little and too low for me to bother keeping in my spec. You can scavenge 3 points from it but you need to replace 2 more elsewhere to maintain Killer Instinct. I'd put 2 into Keen Eye and take all 5 out of Master Archer. From there you can spend those 3 points towards Killer Instinct, Sniper Training, Opportunity, King of the Jungle, or Blood Rage. If you find yourself in dungeons and not hitting as often as you like, you'll probably go with Sniper Training. Otherwise one of the others will probably yield more dps.
    Last edited by Lokanu; 02-14-2011 at 05:23 AM.

Soulwalker

From your experience is MM/Ranger competitive damage? Or is it more solo / small group play. The thing that seems to be lacking is AoE but the sustained damage and proc/passive damage seems to be excellent at first glance

MM/SIN/RNG is a decent combo giving lots of versatility and damage. We'll have to see how and what changes and by how much come Open tomorrow to say. But in past Betas MM proc builds could be devastating.

Personally I feel a tri-spec is often too diluted to find a true purpose.
    Take the above comment about the Master Archer proc, true yse, but the 5 points there are worth vastly more than the 5 points in Doubleshot. 25% chance of extra damage every second from skills and 3.6 seconds from Auto VS. 50% every 3.6 seconds from Auto. Well, MA wins that hands down

IMO, King of the Jungle, Blood Rage, Keen Eye would all be better choices than Doubleshot. Hasten Call, umm, PvP maybe, but PvE especially if you are in a party, pretty lackluster. Even in Rift events I often found I had the 8sec between waves to resummon.

Soulwalker

I notice you like King of the Jungle and Blood rage, im so used to wow pets being pretty much a small portion of your damage vs your overall is that not the case in rift?
    Both those talents put huge damage to pet only where as i tried to favor player damage as a priority

Is it worth swapping 3 ranger points into quick shot (taking out from bolster) or is the MM barbed shot leaps and bounds better as a combo/filler
    Last edited by Shidoh; 02-14-2011 at 07:52 AM.

For PvE i would rather take RNG/NB/SIN.

11 pts in NB for about 15-20% more dmg in total. (30-35% on finishers)
    17 pts in SIN for 5-10%Crit, 20% Critdmg, 10% Dmg, extra bleed

rest in RNG.

MM passives aren't as good as u might think.
    it's 25% of atkpower, not overall dmg, so in total about 5% dmg increase (estimate).
    Last edited by Coffande; 02-14-2011 at 07:58 AM.

Soulwalker

Coff wouldnt Rapid fire shot timed on a 5 point add significant damage (30% RAS over 60s) and MM 20% armor pen make up for the NB damage?

Soulwalker

I was also told the pedestal wasnt gonna be in the next beta batch? anyone know about this?

I've been playing with this build. It is very cooldown heavy, but one of the few builds I've played with where every point is useful all (or almost all) of the time.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...V0o.xhx0q0Ahbo

I'm interested if anyone else has either comments on improvements to this spec or other builds with little to no filler points

Be gentle, as I've never actually played the game and have only a rudimentary grasp of its mechanics
    Last edited by Noakh; 02-14-2011 at 01:13 PM.

I was looking at this build today as a steady, single-target high dps build.
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M....0VMcx0b.Vhx0V

Highlights:
    - Very good armor penetration. If armor pen is anywhere near as valuable as it was in that "other" game, then this will be a big dps booster.
    - Lots of stacking bleed damage.
    - 13% additional crit chance (passive) + 5% additional crit chance from poison procs (assuming poisons work with ranged attacks).
    - Plan to use Expose Weakness from Assassin to keep a steady increase of physical and bleed damage.
    - 20% bonus to crit damage

Any thoughts on this build

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Noakh View Post
    I've been playing with this build. It is very cooldown heavy, but one of the few builds I've played with where every point is useful all (or almost all) of the time.

I'm interested if anyone else has either comments on improvements to this spec or other builds with little to no filler points

Be gentle, as I've never actually played the game and have only a rudimentary grasp of its mechanics
    pvp or pve? raids/solo/grouping
    tha goes for any other builds, i see people asking about. it helps to know the focus of your build, what works in pvp is not so great in pve and vise versa.
    Last edited by Archfiend_DD; 02-14-2011 at 01:58 PM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Shidoh View Post
    I was also told the pedestal wasnt gonna be in the next beta batch? anyone know about this?
    It's still there but with only 5% bonus if I remembe right. Also, I think at 51 pts you get an upgraded version

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Noakh View Post

i use this build when i solo and haven't had many problems. most mobs are about half dead when they get to melee range. then bladedancer/sin kills them fast

Soulwalker

As long as pet damage is decent ill switch my build a little bit to drop double shot and grab some other goodies.

Similar build MM/Rng/Sin +2 (Can also drop Master Archer for +7)
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...cfu0kc.0VMcx0b

In ranger wondering if the Raptor is worth dropping MA and picking up or just stick to MA / grabbing Killer Instinct with the +2 for some crits. Lastly the +2 can be spent on more AoE skills ala Rain of Arrow.

Can you coat your range weap with poison? If so Poison Potency might bring on more sustained damage since this build thrives on passive procs and low impact shots buffed by the trees

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Shidoh View Post
    Coff wouldnt Rapid fire shot timed on a 5 point add significant damage (30% RAS over 60s) and MM 20% armor pen make up for the NB damage?
    You don't drop Nightblade (since 10 points in Nightblade gives 15% more damage on everything but your pet and your auto-attacks), you drop Assassin. Rapid Fire Shot is incredible and any Ranger build that omits it is paramountly stupid.
    -Rilgon @ Deepwood (US)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast