+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My 4 Roles/builds

Telaran

Default My 4 Roles/builds

It sort of seems pointless to list a build in a vacuum. Its just a piece of a puzzle, to see the whole picture, you need to look at all 4 builds.

My first two builds are for solo play. One is melee, the other ranged.

The first is my damage build This is the build (bd/sin/ns) I plan to spend most of my time playing. It gives me good stealth, ranged attacks, snares, and stuns, and energy builders. This is the typical sneak up, backstab, stun, backstab build.

My second build is my sniper build. This is my mm/sin build. I keep the 22 in sin, and spec out the other 44 in MM. I use sab as 0pt for snare. This build is for breaking up tricky spawns that a melee attack will draw adds.

The final two builds are for groups and raids.

The 3rd build is my tank build its 51 rift, 15 bd, with 0 pt sin for poison.

The final build is my support build Its a 51 bard with 15 in rift for extra survivability, and bd as a 0pt soul for the dodge buff.

Soulwalker

the fact that this is possible seems crazy to me, ive been thinking something along much the same lines but the fact that you could have a party full of rogues is crazy.

Plane Walker

Isn't build 2 pointless?

Can't you just auto attack a mob, and then kite him out into safety for proper killing?

3 of my builds in my sig.

shoot is for soloing
    sing is for group support, battleground heal spam, and soloing elites
    tank is for tanking

the 4th will be a straight pve dps build. I have a couple ideas for marksman based and assassin based builds. Ill need to run a parser on dummies though before i decide which to use.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by sinasdf View Post
    Isn't build 2 pointless?

Can't you just auto attack a mob, and then kite him out into safety for proper killing?
    Have you ever hunted murlocks in wow? If you try to sneak up on them, its a good bet a wizard is going to start nuking you. Being able to swap over to a ranged attack is really nice in those situations. Having a pet doesn't really help, thats even more sloppy. Ranged is also good for pvp.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Vabjekf View Post
    3 of my builds in my sig.

shoot is for soloing
    sing is for group support, battleground heal spam, and soloing elites
    tank is for tanking

the 4th will be a straight pve dps build. I have a couple ideas for marksman based and assassin based builds. Ill need to run a parser on dummies though before i decide which to use.
    I like what you have done with your sing and and tank builds. I'm not so keen on the shoot build though. Perhaps that is play style, I'm not fond of pets, and I don't see much point in taking sin tree without building stealth skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormchaser View Post
    I like what you have done with your sing and and tank builds. I'm not so keen on the shoot build though. Perhaps that is play style, I'm not fond of pets, and I don't see much point in taking sin tree without building stealth skills.
    Pets are good for soloing.

The sin tree is for the poisons and the crit bonuses/+10% damage after critting self damage buff

The build focuses on lots of attacks (20% attack speed bonus, 50% extra auto attacks), high poison proc rate/damage. Bleeds. reactive crit effects, self damage buffs. This is to keep you buffed constantly as well as ensure that you apply all the negative effects asap to whatever you are fighting.

It all syngergyzes very well. You basically start attacking and lots of buffs/debuffs/effects proc in huge explosions and everything just melts.
    Last edited by Vabjekf; 02-13-2011 at 07:52 PM.

Plane Walker

Have you ever hunted murlocks in wow? If you try to sneak up on them, its a good bet a wizard is going to start nuking you. Being able to swap over to a ranged attack is really nice in those situations. Having a pet doesn't really help, thats even more sloppy. Ranged is also good for pvp.
    No I haven't played wow, but this game is Rift.

Sure a caster is going to get a shot on you before you can get in melee range, but it's negligible. Stuns/CC make up for it.

Telaran

you misunderstood my analogy. Murlocks hang out in clusters, so if you get in melee range, you get adds, and you have to fight off the whole camp. With a ranged attack you can single pull them. This negates your backstab ability though. So having the option to actually kill them at range is tactically superior. I'm sure there will be similar situations in rift.

Soulwalker

you misunderstood my analogy. Murlocks hang out in clusters, so if you get in melee range, you get adds, and you have to fight off the whole camp. With a ranged attack you can single pull them. This negates your backstab ability though. So having the option to actually kill them at range is tactically superior. I'm sure there will be similar situations in rift.
    This is where you Sap - err, Incapacitate/Lost Hope one of them and kill the other. I know what you're trying to get at with the Murloc analogy (as I played WoW since launch until about a year ago), but so far I haven't seen any groups where I'd really need to kill stuff at range and I made it to level 29 in Beta 6.

Also, many melee rogue souls have at least one ranged ability that can me used to pull if you really need to.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Vabjekf View Post
    Pets are good for soloing.

The sin tree is for the poisons and the crit bonuses/+10% damage after critting self damage buff

The build focuses on lots of attacks (20% attack speed bonus, 50% extra auto attacks), high poison proc rate/damage. Bleeds. reactive crit effects, self damage buffs. This is to keep you buffed constantly as well as ensure that you apply all the negative effects asap to whatever you are fighting.

It all syngergyzes very well. You basically start attacking and lots of buffs/debuffs/effects proc in huge explosions and everything just melts.
    Pets are probably the way to go up to 30. They certainly help out. I'll probably have a pet to start, and then respec over to mm. I might even opt for ranger all the way, everything is subject to change. For now, I'm just playing with ideas. I prefer not to have a pet though, because it doesn't work well with stealth. I'm a rogue at heart, not a ranger. I suspect you are more a ranger at heart.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Rehwyn View Post
    This is where you Sap - err, Incapacitate/Lost Hope one of them and kill the other. I know what you're trying to get at with the Murloc analogy (as I played WoW since launch until about a year ago), but so far I haven't seen any groups where I'd really need to kill stuff at range and I made it to level 29 in Beta 6.

Also, many melee rogue souls have at least one ranged ability that can me used to pull if you really need to.
    This. Take a look the damage build. They have 20 meter abilities, such as Expose Weakness (assassin root) or Ebon Terror (Nightblade root)

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Rehwyn View Post

Sap is a useful skill. I guess the best answer for why I would have a ranged build is simply this, why limit my options to melee combat? Why not have the ability to click a button, wait two seconds and transform yourself into a master archer? I have encountered many situations where a ranged attack is better. So why would I intentionally choose to give myself a disadvantage that I don't have to have?

and yes, my damage build does have ranged abilities, thats for chasing down mobs though. Thats why I chose nightblade over rift for third soul.
    Last edited by Stormchaser; 02-13-2011 at 08:22 PM.

Pets are probably the way to go up to 30. They certainly help out. I'll probably have a pet to start, and then respec over to mm. I might even opt for ranger all the way, everything is subject to change. For now, I'm just playing with ideas. I prefer not to have a pet though, because it doesn't work well with stealth. I'm a rogue at heart, not a ranger. I suspect you are more a ranger at heart.
    Im a bard =P Seems to me ranger is best for solo leveling

For leveling solo as a Rogue, going Ranger 0pt alone is worth it. The starting pet is a tank pet and is very hard to pull agro from w/o some insane gear/spec, so that saves you time and money. As a ranged build I highly suggest 0pt Ranger to that end alone. If you're worried about the "Murlock analogy" with grouped mobs, attacks (including ranged) are more likely to pull adds then body pulling. Put your pet on passive and stay (not follow), body pull, send pet in once mob is at a safe distance, then fire away. The biggest difference is who's tanking (i.e. not you).

Also, if you're playing a ranged build, the pet solves the 3m range issue so you don't have to constantly kite. The only thing you can cast under 3m range is Swift Shot under the MM tree. Having the tank pet allows you to maintain a safe distance and fire all of your shots hassle free. I also suggest anyone going MM to get Ranger for Splinter Shot as well. It's another skill to add to your rotation and it fits quite nicely. This is my typical rotation:

Splinter Shot 1.5s(2 combo), Empowered Shot 1.5s(2 combo), Barded Shot 1s GCD(1 combo), Deadeye Shot (Finisher)

That's 5 combo points in 4 seconds, faster then you can do with filler shots. After that you'll have some time before the cd's come back so I usually throw in Lightning Fury for the debuff as well and refresh Barbed Shot. DoT's also yield more damage over comparable cast-time skills due to their delayed nature. Otherwise you're stuck padding it with single shot skills and lowering your dps. End result is 0pt Ranger is useful, few more points even moreso. Don't discount it so easily!
    Last edited by Lokanu; 02-14-2011 at 04:27 AM.

+ Reply to Thread