+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rift Stalker - Defer Death

Default Rift Stalker - Defer Death

So... Do you essentially instantly die when it ends?

The way the current text can be interpreted as

Store all the damage you take for the next 10 seconds, then receive all that damage at the same time
    Last edited by Talamare; 02-13-2011 at 06:25 PM.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Talamare View Post
    So... Do you essentially instantly die when it ends?

The way the current text can be interpreted as

Store all the damage you take for the next 10 seconds, then receive all that damage at the same time
    You just have to pop CDs to compensate for the burst in damage you're about to take. 80% damage reduction in nb etc.

Quote Originally Posted by blahdot3h View Post
    You just have to pop CDs to compensate for the burst in damage you're about to take. 80% damage reduction in nb etc.
    Sounds a bit like if you dont use the 51 pt skill after you probably will die anyways

in 10 seconds, you will probably be killed 5-6x over (since heals technically wont be doing anything)

500% max * 0.2 (the 80% reduction) is still 100%

I mean its not a bad skill to have if used intelligently (boss is on the last bit of health or you have a back up tank)
    or even if its a special boss that would 100% kill the tank at a certain point regardless of how much survivability he had (not really a good design, but w/e) then at least you can delay your death 10 seconds~ (or prevent it completely with the 51, but w/e)

Quote Originally Posted by blahdot3h View Post
    Unless you're breaking the Alpha NDA, no one can say for sure that you can actually mitigate the damage when Defer Death ends. I know for example you can't use Planar Refuge to halve falling damage. Least it didn't while I was testing it during Beta 4.

Ascendant

its like a self blast charge and detonate hilarious.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Tenison_Grey View Post
    Unless you're breaking the Alpha NDA, no one can say for sure that you can actually mitigate the damage when Defer Death ends. I know for example you can't use Planar Refuge to halve falling damage. Least it didn't while I was testing it during Beta 4.
    I'm sure that defer death damage hits you like any other damage, so it can be mitigated. It will be one of those "oh ****" skills that you pop when you **** up as a tank and need to allow them to catch up on healing. I don't think it's something that will be used very often but I can see it having a few specific uses.

Quote Originally Posted by jaym7018 View Post
    its like a self blast charge and detonate hilarious.
    Thats more or less what I am imagining

Should be comical to watch

Telaran

Personally I hope they change this skill and scatter the shadows also. It's a catch-22; if they work together then they are borderline OP with 15 seconds of immunity every 2 minutes, if they don't then defer death is useless. Everyone knows spike damage is the most dangerous form, so why inflict that upon yourself?

Also, if they work together, it forces an all-or-nothing investment on us. There would be no point in going just up to 38 if you didn't go all the way to 51. So here's hoping they change it to something different, and a little more flavorful while they are at it.

Plane Walker

I can't think of many applications for that ability.

In PvP, however, it can be used if you are just about to die. Pop that CD and you will be invincible for a short time, giving you some a last chance to kill your opponent. At that point, hopefully you are flagged as out of combat and you can use your elixirs, which can help when the the Defer Death is over.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Psimonk View Post
    Personally I hope they change this skill and scatter the shadows also. It's a catch-22; if they work together then they are borderline OP with 15 seconds of immunity every 2 minutes, if they don't then defer death is useless. Everyone knows spike damage is the most dangerous form, so why inflict that upon yourself?

Also, if they work together, it forces an all-or-nothing investment on us. There would be no point in going just up to 38 if you didn't go all the way to 51. So here's hoping they change it to something different, and a little more flavorful while they are at it.
    Just stop at 32. You can invest in many of the defensive abilities in Riftstalker with 32-33 points. Anything more than that, you need to invest in the offensive, and there are better options for that with the other souls.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by sinasdf View Post
    Just stop at 32. You can invest in many of the defensive abilities in Riftstalker with 32-33 points. Anything more than that, you need to invest in the offensive, and there are better options for that with the other souls.
    Except for the fact that riftstalkers now get defensive bonuses for investing more in the tree. Even if they didn't though, if it wasn't worth it to max out the tree then there's something inherently wrong with it anyway and it should be fixed.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Psimonk View Post
    Except for the fact that riftstalkers now get defensive bonuses for investing more in the tree. Even if they didn't though, if it wasn't worth it to max out the tree then there's something inherently wrong with it anyway and it should be fixed.
    Well in PvE, specifically dungeons, I would be going full 51 Riftstalker anyway. The 15 other points can be used for a Bard (if none in the party), or for other DPS skills.

In PvP, you don't need to max out as a tank anyway. As long as you can take damage long enough to kill your opponents, a 32 riftstalker is a fine investment.

Ascendant

Gonna lose that duel against your guild buddy and dont want to hear the **** talking that comes with it. pop that when you are about to die and then you have 10 free seconds to kill him. he dies first you win, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by jaym7018 View Post
    Gonna lose that duel against your guild buddy and dont want to hear the **** talking that comes with it. pop that when you are about to die and then you have 10 free seconds to kill him. he dies first you win, lol.
    Duel ends, that skill is still going but since the duel ended. the "anti dying" protection the duel gives is gone and BOOM you ACTUALLY die

whos laughing now

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Talamare View Post
    Duel ends, that skill is still going but since the duel ended. the "anti dying" protection the duel gives is gone and BOOM you ACTUALLY die

whos laughing now
    hmmmm seems i didnt think that through.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast