+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rogue leveling specs

Telaran

Default Rogue leveling specs

Hey so I was wondering if a Nightblade/Ranger/X would be a fast spec to kill mobs and level with. Has anyone tested it compared to others?

If NB/Ranger/X isn't as fast as others, what actually is faster?

Also, if NB/Ranger/X is really good for leveling, what should the 3rd soul be?

You can't go wrong with a ranger for leveling. Pet classes are always the fastest levelers if done right.

Plane Touched

Sort of agree with Montezuma here. If you are looking for top leveling speed you need to go for a couple things...

1) Minimize downtime... this means some form of self-healing mid or post-fight that doesn't require you to use waters. Ranger excels at this because it can use a pet to tank and has a hot to keep the pet up.
    2) Good sustainable dps... most rogue souls will fit this except RS/Bard primaries. Both of those souls are useable as support souls to fit criteria 1.
    3) Ability to take out multiple mobs at once... this is pretty self explanatory but the real reason comes in that if you can't handle extra adds and die you are going to slow down the leveling greatly.

Most good leveling builds that I have seen have used RS (rift scavenger talent at 3rd tier) or Bards (self healing through cadence + possibly coda of restoration) as a subsoul, or Ranger as primary soul. You can get away with ranger as a subsoul, but only until roughly level 30 when a minor investment in this tree doesn't allow your pet to scale past 30.

I found for ranged dps Ranger is definately the way to go. Can get high dps with marksman as a sub and has that pet to tank for you. Occasionally with adds I had to sit down and rest cause I had no self heals.

For melee I went with a Sin/RS build that had leeching poison from assassin and rift scavenger and was able to run over 5-6 mobs at a time and end out with full hp. Rift Scavenger is probably one of the best talents in the game for reducing downtime.

You could probably do the same thing with NB/RS that I did with assassin and get the same effectiveness out of it. You'd be missing out on leeching poison but your damage output should be high and you should be able to get that healing to keep you going easy.

The last two betas, I leveled as Sabotuer/Nightblade. It was fast, relatively danger free, and fun. I imagine most specs are viable for leveling, just depends on your playstyle and preference.

My solo build is 'shoot' in my sig.

1. Upgraded ranger pet
    2. Self healing from assasin poison
    3. Lots of auto attacks, crit rate, crit procs, bleeds, and poison tics
    4. Several stacking self damage buffs
    5. Trick shot/concusive blast for aoeing after you get the upgraded pet with the aoe taunt

The idea is to let the high volume of auto attacks all procing poisons/bleeds/self damage buffs just sort of drain the targets health away. Working well so far.

Meant for sustained grinding where you will always have the self damage buffs up. Its not highly power-draining since a good portion of your damage comes from effects and auto attacks, meaning you can pretty much go along at a constant pace and never even exit combat if you dont want. Just keep pulling.

Further once you get one mob near death you can just pull another and let pet and bleeds finish off the old one.
    Last edited by Vabjekf; 02-13-2011 at 05:05 PM.

+ Reply to Thread