+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can't decide... wanna tank... and lvl...plz help

Soulwalker

Default Can't decide... wanna tank... and lvl...plz help

Only played in the last beta so I'm still trying to figure this out. It looks like all I truly need to tank will be the 51 points into Riftstalker. The cookie cutter builds then work in ranger and bard for the last 16 points.

So my question is this. Since it SEEMS like those 51 points are the important part, what are 2 other souls to pair with Riftstalker that I can focus on for a more DPS centered role. I prefer melee to ranged. So I'm wanting my main role to be a Rogue tank, but i want to be able to switch roles while I'm leveling to something more damage based. What would you experts recommend?

Also I can choose a 4th soul eventually to mix in right? So I could choose ranger or bard for my final endgame tank build as a 4th soul.

Soulwalker

well, the other melee rogue souls are Nightblade, Bladedancer and Assasin, unless im forgetting one.

Riftstalker/Nightblade/ and a toss up between BD and Sin.
    sin for the crit bonus or BD for the hit/Dodge bonus.
    you can't really go wrong with either of them.

If you want a dps spec you can allways go with a Sin/Nightblade/whatever. and it wont be too bad.

By level 13, you can do the quests in your capital for all the other souls you didn't take.
    theres at the moment not an option to use 4 souls at once. but you can buy extra roles to setup different specs.
    i think the price is 40g, 4plat, 45plat. for the 1st 2nd and 3rd extra role.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Phen View Post
    Only played in the last beta so I'm still trying to figure this out. It looks like all I truly need to tank will be the 51 points into Riftstalker. The cookie cutter builds then work in ranger and bard for the last 16 points.

So my question is this. Since it SEEMS like those 51 points are the important part, what are 2 other souls to pair with Riftstalker that I can focus on for a more DPS centered role. I prefer melee to ranged. So I'm wanting my main role to be a Rogue tank, but i want to be able to switch roles while I'm leveling to something more damage based. What would you experts recommend?

Also I can choose a 4th soul eventually to mix in right? So I could choose ranger or bard for my final endgame tank build as a 4th soul.
    You only get three souls to work with at one time. You can buy additional "role" slots that give you the ability to switch between different sets of souls but it still only allows three at a time. BTW- you get to do quests early in the game to unlock every single rogue soul so don't worry too much about getting stuck with a bad decision early on.

If you want the ability to tank and crank up your DPS, check out Assassin and Nightblade. Assassin gives your physical attacks a poison buff and Nightblade allows you to increase the damage of all your combo point generating abilities. If you want to be a better tank, check out ranger, bard, and bladedancer.

If all you want is the ability to tank and yet still be able to grind mobs, don't worry. Just have two roles. One will be your tank build with Riftstalker and the other will be your lvling build which could be MM/Ranger/Sab if you wanted it.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by randomfish View Post
    By level 13, you can do the quests in your capital for all the other souls you didn't take.
    theres at the moment not an option to use 4 souls at once. but you can buy extra roles to setup different specs.
    i think the price is 40g, 4plat, 45plat. for the 1st 2nd and 3rd extra role.
    4th role costs around 21plat. At level 30 I had 23plat to my name so theoretically you can buy all roles and a mount by around level 31 (I levelled primarily from quests, so maybe if u PvP up in lvls you will be poorer). Oh and I bought the 3rd role at level 21ish and my mount at 20.
    Last edited by Kink; 02-13-2011 at 11:47 AM.

Soulwalker

can you reset a role once you pick the souls? As in totally reset the souls you have chosen and pick 3 totally new ones?

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Phen View Post
    can you reset a role once you pick the souls? As in totally reset the souls you have chosen and pick 3 totally new ones?
    Yes, but you have to pay, though the fee isnt that much.

Also to answer the OP, you can have a second role very early on, its only about 30gold, then you can have a tank and DPS role and fill both.. roles when needed =)

Telaran

simple answer to this, if ur new to the game and dont wanna risk messing sround getting other souls etc the simple way is to spec

heavy bard with riftstalker second and bladedancer 3rd soul

when u get 30g u can buy a second soul slot and go for

heavy RS with rest bd and bard 3rd

that way u can solo as bard and tank instances with both ur saved soul combos

alternatively u can roll whatever combo u want and at 13 go to ur capital city and get the quests for the other souls

u get 1 at a time so can take up some time to get all the other especially if lvling quickly is ur goal

basically:

1.get to a rift
    2.close it
    3.get a q item for closing it
    4.use inventory q item to summon mob
    5.kill said mob
    6.use another inventory item on corpse
    7. hand in q to recieve new soul

easy but sometimes doing this 3 times (getting q from city, finding a rift, going and handing in x3 can be time consuming)

so if ur like me and will be spam lvling come release (or head start in my case) then i will be using the above combo then all i need to do is have 33g for resepec

also not when ur in mid 20's as long as u have the talent in RS for 6% hp regen per combo point on a mob, when the mob dies, u can stick with RS all the time, as long as u let mobs die with the appropriate amount of CPs u can take on 5 or so at a time, however i wouldnt reccommend pulling like this till u got some decent tanky gear as pulling 5 doesnt work unless u survive long enough to kill 1, which as a RS isnt the fastest.

+ Reply to Thread